Warrenbnz

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:gpl
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 06 2018 - 05:36 AM

totally agree, none of the other black screen threads were remotely close.
I just tried rivatuner, and it didnt want to run on win10 64 bit, so went back to fraps, not elegant, but in the bottom right corner I dont even notice it

#17 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Oct 06 2018 - 06:54 AM

Thread is linked in Tech Section at gpllinks.org

:D

#18 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 07 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostWarrenbnz, on Oct 06 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

totally agree, none of the other black screen threads were remotely close.
I just tried rivatuner, and it didnt want to run on win10 64 bit, so went back to fraps, not elegant, but in the bottom right corner I dont even notice it
Have you tried steam overlay (adding gpl exe to steam library and run gpl from there, overlay is activated by default), maybe will work? I usually run GPL via steam to take screenshots and it works great (using openglv2).

Also thanks to John :thumbup:

Edited by SV3000, Oct 07 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#19 Warrenbnz

Warrenbnz

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted Oct 08 2018 - 03:18 AM

dont have steam or any reason to run steam. only game installed is GPL. ill stick with Fraps since it works and dont have to install more software, but others may find that useful

Edited by Warrenbnz, Oct 08 2018 - 03:19 AM.

#20 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,321 posts

Posted Oct 08 2018 - 04:25 PM

View Postfajanko, on Oct 05 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

It was the same for me since the last Win10 update. OpenGLv2 and having Fraps FPS displayed solved my problem.

My question is why? Is this the issue where GPL needs something running in the background for the CPU or GPU to realize that it's running a 3D game? I have similar specs to Warrenbnz (but a desktop rather than a laptop) but seemingly don't need that fix.

#21 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 02:17 AM

That's strange, I think this could be a problem with video drivers, I have a better system but very similar and no problem, but I have a desktop and use a 4k TV as monitor, Windows 10 x64 version 1809 and Nvidia GeForce 416.16.

Please don't upgrade to Windows 10 1809, I've experienced no problem but someone lost their files in Documents and so Macro$hit paused the update rollout.

Roglv2.dll contains all the function to go at full res and switch back, appear that in some way it lose the capacity to switch back to basic resolution and the forced overlay cure this.

Could be helpful reporting some more informations for video drivers, open Nvidia control panel, click on the question mark and select system info, check for drivers version, for Windows, click on start and write winver then press enter, look for version and build.

#22 Warrenbnz

Warrenbnz

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 04:29 AM

my nvidia sys info and win version as requested

think thats what you asked for.. went to nvidia control panel, no question mark, but at bottom left corner was System info, so saved as text file

winver produced the box in the image attached...
is this what you asked for?
Am going to try updating to 416.16 drivers off nvidia website. current one is from Asus website specific to the laptop model

Attached Files

Edited by Warrenbnz, Oct 09 2018 - 04:47 AM.

#23 Warrenbnz

Warrenbnz

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 05:13 AM

So I updated the drivers to the latest on the geforce website, 416.16
Tried to run GPL without using fraps, and its back to the black screen issue.
Run with Fraps running, and black screen issue gone.
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has suggestions based off the system info i posted
Nvidia info in this attachment is with the 416.16 drivers

Attached Files

Edited by Warrenbnz, Oct 09 2018 - 05:14 AM.

#24 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 12:01 PM

Windows 10 version 1803 is the latest not so worse, Nvidia 416.16 WHQL is the latest version and, for what I tested, a good version.

I have the need to have more cases to find common factors and so try to find where could be the trouble.

Can I ask another test?
As your display is of a portable pc, and the switch to and fro resolutions need voltage / frequency change, sometimes happen to be not so reliable in systems strictly tied to energy saving or low battery comsumption, can you try to use an external monitor or a TV?

In my Nvidia Control Panel I have a question mark in the top menu because my drivers are in italian, in the english version the same menu voice appear as Help, my fault, I haven't check and supposed that a ? have not to be translated for Italy from Help to ?
They don't have the same meaning, here in Italy the question mark is used meaning informations request, from latin quaestiƍ (question) not as help.
I suppose they used someone like Hrundi Bakshi to translate english menu to italian.

#25 Warrenbnz

Warrenbnz

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted Oct 09 2018 - 03:48 PM

sorry, i am not able to connect to an external monitor or TV

#26 Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Strategy and Simulations

Posted Nov 01 2018 - 02:02 PM

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but I have a similar issue so seems appropriate to add to this one rather than start another.

Firstly, Hello, bought GPL when it first came out way back in 1998 and loved it then, something about the period in question and the fact that it is genuinely challenging to master that always appealed. Life came along and I stopped playing it ....

Anyway, my interest sparked again last week after watching the film which inspired it "Grand Prix" and I dug out the old disc.

Searching online brought up (completely unknown to me) how much this game has been loved and kept alive by all those who've clearly committed so much time and effort, hugely impressive.

I duly downloaded the 1.08 installer and installed using the original disc. I also then uploaded GEM +2, GPL set up manager and iGOR.

Fired the game up and headed off to practice (it's been a long time). First "off" (and being honest that didn't take too many corners!) and the screen went Black. Eventually esc and entered back to pits etc. Keeps happening. Assume its some issue with graphics and attempting to run replays of my impressive driving errors?

My PC set up is:

AMD FX™ - 8350 Eight Core Processor 4.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64 - Bit Operating System x64 based Processor
Running Windows 8.1

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon R9 200 series.

The little I have seen of the updated game looks great, itching to get going, any help greatly received!

Cheers

John

#27 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B

Posted Nov 01 2018 - 02:31 PM

Just checking from basics....

You are sure your screen didn't just go to "sleep" I've heard of this several times  where Windows just doesn't recognise GPL as a running app and switches off. I always have my windows setting to presentation mode. Also some have had an issue with AVG and other AV programs causing similar issues. Did you try pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse and the screen still remained blank?

Silly questions possibly, Just thought to get the obvious out of the way.

If you were able to esc back to the pits it definitely wasn't the dreaded "screen freeze".

I run a program called "joy2key" and assign my throttle to a mouse click as my AV used to do this to me, so as I press the throttle during a session all the time it makes sure the screen stays alive.

TTFN
John.

#28 Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted Nov 01 2018 - 02:40 PM

John,

Thanks for taking time to try to help. :) I don't think it's a "sleep" issue as it seems not time bounded, rather it appears to be when you exit the track (in the manner which would trigger a replay). So I've got it to run ok for a couple of laps, then had an "off" and it goes black. Pressing keys doesn't "wake it up" either. Rather you have to press esc and enter several times and it eventually goes back to one of the non racing screens. Whilst the screen is black, game sound still appears to run on in the background, suggesting it's a graphics failure of some kind?

Cheers

John

#29 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Nov 01 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hi John, welcome back!

I wonder if you have tried the solutions (overlay) in this thread, do they work? Also your spec is very close to mine (win8.1, R9 270), have you set Rasterisers to OpenGLv2? It is highly recommended to use OpenGLv2 for Radeon card. You can set it in GEM+, or manually edit App.ini and change lastRasterizerDLL = xxxx.dll to lastRasterizerDLL = roglv2.dll. Also to narrow down possible causes, you can try run the original exe (gpl.exe) instead of other modded exe (such as gplc67.exe) to see if it works. Also maybe check Radeon setting see if there's any global override setting that may cause conflict.

Edit: same as snafu, please double check if you have any antivirus or similar defense program, as they are known to cause various issues.

Edited by SV3000, Nov 01 2018 - 02:49 PM.

#30 Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted Nov 01 2018 - 03:11 PM

Denny,

I have it set to OpenGLv2

I just tried adding it to my steam library (I'm assuming its the GPL 1.3 one I use?) and then running it from there, same problem, went black before I even got down the pit lane.

I don't know what you mean by checking the Radeon setting? (sorry my IT skills are limited!)

I am running AVG, should I modify this in some way?

Cheers for the help :)

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links