Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 03 2019 - 03:01 PM

I found out searching that the number 9 xml file in Gem+ is the required patch to get around the 64 track limit in GPL.  Is there a guide or index somewhere that describes what the other xml files do in the Gem+ Mods folder ?

Attached Files

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 03 2019 - 04:44 PM

No. Those xml files are effectively hex patches to the GPL.EXE code. You would need knowledge of the GPL.EXE machine code (possibly from the source?), and you would need to know the appropriate addresses within the executable file in order to be able to create your own hex patches and apply them correctly.

I've been a programmer since 1978, and I've dealt with many many programming languages including several forms of assembler/machine code, but I have never been able to work out how GPL is patched. The magical 'gurus' who have this knowledge have been able to give us all sorts of interesting features, and they've enabled many new mods to be created. But I think the knowledge is far too technical for most people to be bothered with.

(Edit: If there were any guides to describe the GPL code and how it is patched, I would love to read them to see if I could learn anything, as I'm always curious to know how anything works. But I've never seen anything published publicly about it. And if any info were published, I think it might fall foul of copyright/IP legislation, as there's usually a clause in most EULAs which prohibits the reverse engineering of copyright code. But then again, GPL is 21 years old now, so that legislation might not be applicable any more, I don't really know.)

IMO, it's hard enough to learn how to drive GPL, let alone getting inside the EXE code and tinkering around with it! :D

(Edit: Just a thought - I wonder if Nigel Pattinson ever used to walk around with a starry cloak, pointy hat and a wand? ;) :D)

Edited by Saiph, Dec 03 2019 - 06:13 PM.

#3 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 229 posts

Posted Dec 04 2019 - 10:18 AM

Saiph ... Do you mean every time a GPL exe is created by Gem+  all of these patches are automatically applied along with whatever is specified in Gem+ such as rasterizers or full screen patches ?

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 04 2019 - 03:57 PM

I've never been involved directly in the workings of GEM, but as I understand it, the answer to your question is yes. The GEM patching process avoids the need for GPL mods to include any copyright GPL.EXE code. GEM simply uses the original, base GPL.EXE (which everyone has installed) and adds the mod patches to it to create the modded version(s).

This is why, when you select one of the GPL mods and click the 'GPL' button, it can take GEM a couple of seconds to start up GPL. If you're quick, you may see a dialog box appear briefly in the middle of the screen which says "Recreating executables" or something like that.

Edited by Saiph, Dec 04 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#5 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 229 posts

Posted Dec 04 2019 - 07:41 PM

Ok... Thank you for clarifying that for me.. cheers !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links