TP: 🏁

Attached Files

#2 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 31 2019 - 04:31 PM

Two videos about the new regulations.

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,663 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Oct 31 2019 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Yannick for the links.

Interesting and mmm πŸ€”

Cost cap looks like the salary cap in the NFL. Trying to push parity between competitors. Not sure if it's one step too late. If it does work I don't think we'll see the benefits immediately πŸ€”

I'm kind of hoping all this will work and that it will make F1 a worthwhile watch again and not like the scaletrix format that we have now. I sometimes think that Liberty Media and the FIA can't sometimes see the woods for the trees. But then I hope that I'm wrong.

I have to err on the side of caution and release my scepticism though. until I'm proved wrong πŸ€”

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Nov 01 2019 - 04:46 AM.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Oct 31 2019 - 05:15 PM

I don't like those big rims it make them like like most other racing cars. Always loved those balloon-like tyres, especially in the 70's.

#5 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Nov 01 2019 - 03:17 AM

i hate those GT wheels too , i f they could only enforce the 175 million usd cost cap ,and spread the FOG money more evenly , whatever the new technical rules it will be a huge progress , and maybe soon there will be 24 cars at the start of races as it should be

#6 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 05 2019 - 04:08 AM

Implementing and enforcing a spending cap will accomplish little because it will not negate the vast advantage the established teams have in research, experience, facilities, etc.

I would like to see a move away from these cookie cutter tracks they've been building the past couple of decades;  they're as bad as the newer NASCARE ovals - tune in in the middle of a race and have no idea where they are racing.

But a major problem is that all major pro level racing series are edging closer and closer to spec racers.  Yes, each team builds their own cars, but when the regulations are so draconian they specify the thickness of a gasket there is no room for creativity, and when computers design every facet of the car to meet those specs how much difference can you expect?

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,663 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Nov 06 2019 - 12:20 PM

Proof will be in the pudding jgf. We shall see.

My friend as stopped watching the series because as he states it as become too technical and therefore regimental πŸ€”

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Nov 06 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,723 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 08 2019 - 08:27 AM

I wonder when they'll start wearing G suits to keep from passing out?

I guess i'll go to my grave thinking 1967 was the best year for F1. I know some of the years before 1967 were good too but nothing after 1967. Wings.......puke!

#9 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,723 posts

Posted Nov 08 2019 - 04:27 PM

No bias to those who like wings, slicks, and modern race cars. I just like the old stuff better.

#10 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 08 2019 - 09:47 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 08 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

No bias to those who like wings, slicks, and modern race cars. I just like the old stuff better.

Ah, us old fogies are behind the times.  I also prefer mechanical cars, ones you work on with a toolbox rather than a computer;  when driver briefings informed you how the car was  set up and anything you needed to know about track condition, rather than sounding like a gps with gear and rpm data thrown in.  For many years now I've found more enjoyment at vintage races than at NASCARE, F1, or Indycars.

As for F1, I have long held that they have been trying to run two incompatible championships concurrently - a drivers' championship and a manufacturers' championship - but they now have the ability to do justice to both.    A true drivers' championship would be a spec racer series, identical cars with the individual driver abilities being the major variable;  a manufacturers' championship would be the opposite, identical drivers with the differences in cars being the major variable.  With F1 being nearly a spec series now, go ahead and make it one;  and start another series of autonomous cars, loosen the regulations to allow the teams to build truly different cars, bring back active suspension, active aero, etc., with all operated by a standardized computer supplied by the sanctioning body (with minor programming allowances for things like different torque curves).
(As for autonomous cars in general, I see them as just another industry attempt to "idiot-proof" products.  We can't train people to be better drivers, there is major opposition to more strict drivers' tests, so we make cars that do not require drivers.  Thankfully I will not live to see what the future brings for those who enjoy driving ...but I am reminded of the story "With Folded Hands" by Jack Williamson.)

#11 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Nov 15 2019 - 08:48 AM

In racing, technology is ever moving on, more and more losing touch with what was great "yesteryear".

After watching the racing at the Goodwood Revivals (YouTube) over the years, I see no reason to waste my time watching F1. Like was mentioned above, its pretty much like watching hi-grip slot cars.

The racing at Goodwood is about as pure as it can get: No wide, low profile rims/tires, STOCK looking sports cars, vintage formula-type cars, no traction enhancements and more, oh... and balls to the wall drivers that aren't afraid to sling a E-type into a curve in a four wheel drift that could make a World Of Outlaw driver envious. Excellent racing can be had at the Goodwood Revival.

For me, F1 has been in trouble a long time.

BUT, I'm just and old simmer.

Old Simmer
aka Andre

#12 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,723 posts

Posted Nov 15 2019 - 09:24 AM

Amen.

#13 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Nov 15 2019 - 06:32 PM

Oh, great. Now they're going that way, too ν ½νΈ‘

https://www.formula1...qxl6wra6CZ.html

#14 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Nov 16 2019 - 02:41 AM

Perhaps if they put all the present (and future) mechanical stuff away and drove GPL instead.......... :felix:  ...... :3gears:

:dino:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links