Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:GPL, French Horns, Cycling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 10 2020 - 05:00 PM

Hi,

I'm trying not to get into old habits of jumping in the car and flooring the throttle whilst trying to learn the track at the same time. I'm old enough to know better πŸ˜‚.

So, what should I try in order to resist the temptation to slide everywhere and actually learn the line properly? I need to learn how to be slow so that ultimately I'm really quick lap after lap and not just getting lucky every now and then.

Any tips?

#2 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 914 posts

Posted Jun 10 2020 - 05:45 PM

Use Advanced Trainer cars :D

#3 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 02:26 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Jun 10 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

Use Advanced Trainer cars :D

I used to learn new tracks with AT cars back in the 2000s :)

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 04:23 AM

Take the GP Eagle and learn to control your right foot!

Simulate a race start with cold tires and full fuel (173l) and learn to finish 1 - 2 - 3 +  laps

With trainer cars you can make a sightseeing tour around Targa... (but it's half the fun!)

With AT you will not get any brake point or learn to not have wheelspin and find a GP grip limit with warm tires.

Edited by Cookie, Jun 11 2020 - 04:30 AM.

#5 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,628 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 05:36 AM

Use the 1965 F1 Mod.
http://65f1.gplworld.de/

#6 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 07:36 AM

At an unfamiliar ("new") track I select the car I'm most comfortable with, load my base setup, and just start lapping at a leisurely pace, often never getting past third gear.  Don't push, don't try for fast laps, just learn the track.  You will naturally speed up as you learn the track.

#7 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 11:40 AM

Just keep hitting Shift+R everytime you took a corner too fast, untill you know where the limit is. That's how learn new tracks, no slow build up.

I don't use this philosophy in real life by the way. :)

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,446 posts

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 12:41 PM

Let’s face it - going fast is fun. Is it possible that going too fast is too much fun?

I know it can be frustrating, though, to make too many mistakes but just try to remember that eventually you learn from your mistakes.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jun 11 2020 - 02:39 PM.

#9 D_J

D_J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 02:04 PM

Interesting topic. After I came online I soon realized that if I dont finish races gpl isnt really all that much fun and I was way too hotheaded at first and drove every lap like I had stolen the car. So calming down is not easy as its counterintuitive to all racers but what I did was I started practicing with realistic damage and forced myself to calm down and keep the car on track at all cost in training. Drive out and in of pits and stop at board , every time.

Now if I come to a new track I can chug along in 2nd and 3rd gear for quite a few laps until I have the layout and the racing line and slowly increase the pace. So its mostly about mindset and priorities but its definitely an eye opener once you get to the point where you can coast around like a tourist for a few laps without your inner racer having a hissy fit.

#10 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 03:32 PM

Racing is not so much about being fast (unless you're into drag racing ...and I could never run well in high heels) as it is about being quick, and consistent.  Your best laps may not get the pole but if, in racing trim, you can consistently lap even slightly better than those people, you will win.

Ever watch a wolf chase a rabbit?  The wolf is larger, more powerful, and faster;  but the rabbit is quicker and can hold his speed while maneuvering.

#11 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:GPL, radio control airplanes, computers, politics, movies, cooking.

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 04:11 PM

Follow the ai cars. They know the proper line and braking points.

#12 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Jun 11 2020 - 07:57 PM

But the AI almost always brake later than you would ...and they never drift (which I've always thought a major flaw in GPL;  we had to learn "the art of four wheel drift" while watching the AI lap the track like slot cars).

#13 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:climbing

Posted Jun 12 2020 - 02:31 AM

I use a similar approach to others here. I go for a sunday drive, short shift, generally staying in too high a gear until I start piecing the track together.
Usually after 10 laps or so I know more or less where the track is going. Going back to the pits & studying the track map then helps me put the pieces together even more.
Then I start pushing, using the full rev range to find gear/corner combo & see whether the gearbox needs tweaking.

Initially I run no damage so that I don't get frustrated if I do crash. Once I've started pushing, I go to realistic damage (all my online racing is in pro) to know what bumps/knocks are going to twist the suspension/steering.
It took some time/discipline to adopt this philosophy but it has worked for me & helps me learn tracks more efficiently.

Each to their own I guess, but keeping the "inner racer" calm seems key. If I don't treat it like it's real life I crash too often, making the learning process longer/frustrating.

#14 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted Jun 12 2020 - 07:59 AM

"If I don't treat it like it's real life..."

A point often debated when comparing hotlaps in any sim with their real world counterparts.  It's one thing to push the car excessively in the comfort of your den, where the worst that can happen is having to reset the session, but quite another when your butt is on the line every second.

#15 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Growing Vegetables.

Posted Jun 12 2020 - 09:36 AM

Treat it like it's real life... The boss (Colin Chapman/Enzo Ferrarri/John Cooper/ or whoever) has told you to do X laps but to keep the revs below X rpm (even when downshifting). For example the Lotus 33 in the 65 Mod I set 9000 rpm as maximum. Then increase to max for 2 laps. You would do as they say otherwise you would be looking for another contract.

#16 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,628 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Jun 12 2020 - 10:27 AM

Treating it like real life is a good point. That helps.
In real life you wouldn`t go way too fast into a corner that you don`t know. Well, if you do so it could be your last corner, because you might end in hospital, in your grave or "just" without anymore vehicle.

Luckily as we are just playing games (yes sims, but still just games) we won`t get hurt, die or cause damage amounting to thousands/ ten of a thousands of Euros. But that is also the "problem". Imagine you are in a real car and try to learn the track slowly and avoid to crash. When you know the track try to go faster. Adjust the setup. Find spots where you can improve. When you spin or crash you were to fast again or made a massive mistake. Watch replays of other drivers. Talk to others if possible who are also learning the track. Try to be conistent. Can you keep up your pace and concentration for 30 min., 45 min., 60 min.?

If you are racing in an online league try to practice online. You will learn from others. Watch their line, talk to them. Most fast drivers give tips, even wait when you spin to show you the line, or give setup tips. Racing against the AI can be nice, but no AI can replace real drivers.

And even when you think you are fast there is usually someone who is faster. :D

This old guide is not just great for online racing you can also apply it for racing against the AI:
Recommended Driver Behaviour by Phillip McNelley (of 1999):
http://wiki.grandpri...river_Behaviour
German version: http://www.gplworld....ahrer-verhalten

Edit: In real life I usually don`t have a 2nd chance on my motorcycle be it on a race track or on public roads. ;)

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jun 12 2020 - 10:31 AM.

#17 Tobodestroyer2020

Tobodestroyer2020

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:GPL, French Horns, Cycling

Posted Jun 13 2020 - 03:11 AM

Some great tips here. Thanks.

I've tried a few and they certainly help. Driving it as though it's real and remembering that in RL there are no 2nd chances seems to be key.

I did 25 laps at Tulln in an F2 Lola taking it really easy with the throttle with short gear changes. 1.40 for lap 1 but I got almost 1 sec a lap quicker per lap without even trying. My quickest was a 1.09 and it felt really smooth with out much sliding around. Looking at the replay it's clear that I'm using the whole width of the track, plus a bit more where I can, because I spent the early laps exploring the kerbs, grass and rumble strips to check for grip.

No point following the AI here; What are they doing through that chicane?

So, very rewarding and Im looking forward to racing there later to see if I can keep a cool head whilst competing. Oh, and I actually feel as though I achieved something. Much better.

Edited by Tobodestroyer2020, Jun 13 2020 - 05:06 AM.

#18 D_J

D_J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted Jun 13 2020 - 09:31 AM

Speaking of real life , there are several patches that offer tirewear now. I hope this is the next step for the gpl community at large to embrace the challenge to drive with wear enabled. Sure makes it a lot more interesting and brings a tactical dimension to gpl that really elevates the whole thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links