John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 02 2016 - 11:50 AM

Just a thought that if the track camber and/or curbing were set up so driver's could use it and stay on track they surely would rather than take a lesser line.

Seems it is a matter of approach to perception of a conceptual problem, (on-track or off-track and what/where is the track?), and reality is interfering.

Perhaps what is needed is a new wall of champions?

Edited by John Woods, Jul 02 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#2 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,018 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jul 02 2016 - 01:39 PM

The curbing on Spa67 is totally unrealistic.  The way they throw you off the track is not real.

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,018 posts

Posted Jul 02 2016 - 03:41 PM

Sorry Pete I was not specific.
Today in qualifying at Austrian GP seems as many as four cars were damaged by curbing that was changed since last year because race officials didn't like the line driver's were taking.

Edited by John Woods, Jul 02 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,018 posts

Posted Jul 02 2016 - 06:22 PM

Yes, I saw it, but it reminded me about the Spa67 curbing. A vent is good now and then.

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,018 posts

Posted Jul 03 2016 - 06:36 AM

Well you had me going because I would assume you were watching.

Its just that the overcooked response since last year seems nitty and anal retentive. A few inches off someone's idea of a limit to the racing line and a year spent messing with a punitive track design change that cost how much altogether, figuring the price of construction work involved and the partial destruction of four cars, grid spot penalties, the whole world of F1 racing twisted on a dime of bad attitude?
:P
They could have looked at it a different way and come up with a happier solution to what had not been a problem until someone decided it was.
Oh well tho, as apparently the response is "so what, live with it."
That tells its own story.

Edited by John Woods, Jul 03 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,018 posts

Posted Jul 03 2016 - 03:03 PM

They had to get pretty far offline to hit the yellow curbing which did the damage. Nobody hit it in the race.

I'm pissed at Nico for his attitude. He claims if he's on the inside the turn is his. What a moron. He did the same thing in Spain when he took out Hamilton by claiming he was in the lead, so he could do anything.

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jul 03 2016 - 04:18 PM

According to Mercedes,NICO had a break problem. Was this an excuse from the team ,to avoid embarrassment? Although probably untrue as other drivers had break issues in the race.
If the break issue was true was it the cause of the corner incident. I know before that incident corner,Lewis caught and overtook Nico. Before that on the corner before,NICO had no traction coming out of that turn. So with his break by wire issue did he lift off before that previous corner,knowing his breaks where not quite right and resulting in him losing momentum and traction coming out of the corner and reluctantly Lewis catching him and overtaking. Then when it came to the incident corner,he panicked about losing the race,didn't lift off like the corner before where he lost the momentum and reluctantly,maybe stupidly bundled into Lewis. But coming off badly from the clash.
I agree with Pete,regarding the Spain incident.Very similar as today. For me,NICO to blame.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jul 03 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#8 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,018 posts

Posted Jul 03 2016 - 05:57 PM

Really hadn't thought much about curbing on the outside until this weekend.
The point was made that before there was curbing, hitting the grass would surely not have been a good idea.
So what was the point of curbing in the first place?
Protect the grass?

Nico had the inside line until he left it.
Guessing it was brakes because for sure he would have been happier to hold the lead by making it thru the turn.
So was it his error for ignoring his own awareness the brakes had gone south?
Could he have otherwise limped along to a second place finish?
Probably the better idea.

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted Jul 03 2016 - 07:43 PM

In the on-board camera angle, Rosberg clearly did not turn his wheel right until well after the apex.  So he was clearly intent on running Hamilton wide and off the track at the very least. If it was an issue with the brakes, he would have turned earlier and the car would have understeered into Hamilton.

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,018 posts

Posted Jul 04 2016 - 08:36 AM

Exactly Bob. He made no attempt to turn in. I never bought the brake problem. He seemed to stop just fine for all the other turns.

When he claimed the turn was his because he was on the inside I knew he did it on purpose. Good that he only took himself out. Unlike Spain when he took out Hamilton too.

He's just another spoiled overpaid modern F1 driver. I hope Hamilton wins the championship.

#11 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Jul 05 2016 - 08:34 AM

I used to be a Member of the Racing club at Donington. Every year we could drive round the circuit and they always seemed to be raising or lowering the curbing.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,159 posts

Posted Jul 05 2016 - 10:34 AM

I heard an interesting observation about the drivers avoiding the curbing when it was wet.  Someone said what if those curbs outside the track just stayed wet all the time even in good weather.

So why can't they Teflon coat those areas so that going too wide would ruin their lap, but then have the run-off still be paved so that it wouldn't be the end of their race just for going a bit wide.  Or maybe have a little water reservoir that dribbles out just enough to keep those curbs wet and slippery.

#13 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,018 posts

Posted Jul 05 2016 - 12:36 PM

Awesome curbing on outside of Baku T8.

A transponder on car could alert race officials to possible unfair advantage due to off track driving or more than two wheels off.

With a manufactured circuit, unlike a street circuit, abusive curbing on the outside suggests, (1), less than the best design, (2), a punitive official response, even when its designed in from the start.

A curb with sufficient cushion would provide an incentive to stay on track.

What does a GPLer like about curbing?
That we can use it.

Lime Rock T1 could use some?

Had not thought about curbing before, it was really incidental to any interest. On the inside it makes some sense, as if protecting a pylon.

Abusive curbing on the outside designed to punish drivers by damaging their cars , (or being potentially damaging), seems alittle out of step with the spirit of good sportsmanship and fair play.

Edited by John Woods, Jul 05 2016 - 04:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links