#1 Spadowski

Spadowski

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 12 2019 - 02:31 PM

Just wondered if any of you read Motorsport. I've never actually met anyone else who does.

#2 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Feb 12 2019 - 04:21 PM

Just let my subscription lapse. A great article every second or third issue but that just isn't enough.

#3 Spadowski

Spadowski

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted Feb 15 2019 - 04:00 PM

I've got a digital sub which is great value as you get access to the archive with all of the issues since they started which is fun.

Kind of glad you said what you did though as I've felt the quality isn't as good as it once was. Thought I was just being picky.

#4 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Feb 15 2019 - 04:29 PM

I have kept a few issues down the years that had articles I particularly love, and they're full of great content. Simply not true anymore.

#5 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Growing Vegetables.

Posted Feb 16 2019 - 02:51 AM

Like JonnyA, I used to but couldn't justify the cost, and I too have kept editions with articles of interest. I haven't looked at the mag for quite a while now.

#6 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted Feb 16 2019 - 05:12 AM

Yes. And not because I love watches.
Access to the archives, Mark Hughes, Doug Nye, etc. And it made a nice birthday gift way back :D

#7 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 211 posts

Posted Feb 16 2019 - 06:06 AM

I have the complete collection in real magazines (paper) from 1950 to 1982 inclusive, the complete digital collection and I have been a subscriber for 12 years.
And I'm still going on...

#8 Spadowski

Spadowski

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted Feb 16 2019 - 03:53 PM

View PostRoyale, on Feb 16 2019 - 05:12 AM, said:

Yes. And not because I love watches.
Access to the archives, Mark Hughes, Doug Nye, etc. And it made a nice birthday gift way back :D

Yes, the watch thing is... Odd. I mean racing and timing I guess, but I've zero interest in watches. I skip most of the car reviews as well. And the MOTO GP stuff. I've tried so hard over the years to get into MOTO GP but there's NO coverage here unless I pay $20 for a specialized channel.

I love Mark's stuff, and Doug is a legend. I wish I could get some of the Motorfilms Quarterly stuff, he curates it I think. I've the first few and they're a delight.

View PostClaudio Pablo Navonne, on Feb 16 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have the complete collection in real magazines (paper) from 1950 to 1982 inclusive, the complete digital collection and I have been a subscriber for 12 years.
And I'm still going on...

That's impressive. I would dump my paper subscription if I still had it, but the digital is good value I find. And I think it's an extra dollar for the archive access. That's a steal. It's the ONLY racing news website I visit as well. Used to be Autosport but I get tired of "THIS IS X OF YOUR FREE ARTICLES!" Now there's a magazine I'd like to subscribe to but even in digital form it's $250 a year here I think.

With Motorsport I just wish with digital they had downloadable copies of all the magazines and not just a select few. Or better archive integration into the app.

Edited by Spadowski, Feb 16 2019 - 03:54 PM.

#9 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 16 2019 - 04:39 PM

View PostSpadowski, on Feb 16 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

That's impressive. I would dump my paper subscription if I still had it, but the digital is good value I find. And I think it's an extra dollar for the archive access. That's a steal. It's the ONLY racing news website I visit as well. Used to be Autosport but I get tired of "THIS IS X OF YOUR FREE ARTICLES!" Now there's a magazine I'd like to subscribe to but even in digital form it's $250 a year here I think.

With Motorsport I just wish with digital they had downloadable copies of all the magazines and not just a select few. Or better archive integration into the app.

Not sure if the technique applies to Autosport too, but usually deleting a sites cookies resets the article counter. Works for the Motorsport Magazine archive at least.

#10 Spadowski

Spadowski

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted Feb 17 2019 - 07:56 PM

Doesn't work on Autosport. I think it does it via IP address.

So a while back I got an email from the company Motorsport uses to process the payment. Said the merchant had an issue. Contacted the magazine. They denied all knowledge and blamed me. Today I find my sub has expired... *sigh*

#11 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Feb 18 2019 - 04:05 AM

For years I subscribed to Autosport every week.  I got tired of the decreasing lack of substance to the reporting.

Switched to Motorsport, which was a nice change with a more historic focus and I think Mark Hughes has great insight on F1.  Not sure about the latest revamped look (March 2019).  Articles on Lewis Hamilton, Senna and Valentino Rossi suggest that they have tried to attract more casual readers (but there is what looks like a nice piece on Daytona Beach racing).  Hopefully the choice of content will get better.

Motorfilms Quarterly DVDs were great fun.  Not seen a new one since 2014 (volume 29).

#12 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Growing Vegetables.

Posted Feb 18 2019 - 09:37 AM

View Postwebfoot, on Feb 18 2019 - 04:05 AM, said:

Motorfilms Quarterly DVDs were great fun.  Not seen a new one since 2014 (volume 29).

I have Motorfilms Quarterly 5-8 but again expense ended that.  I have a couple of Ford Collection DVDs including the 1967 Team Lotus 49 Edition and the LeMans Series 66-67

#13 Spadowski

Spadowski

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted Feb 20 2019 - 06:36 PM

I love seeing historic racing footage. Sadly it all seems to still be copyrighted and costs a fortune (stupid exchange rates).

As for Motorsport, I get it for the historic stuff. I really couldn't care to read about Lewis. If I wanted that I'd buy F1 magazine.

I am a little concerned with the focus of the magazine actually having skimmed through this latest one. I started subscribing for historic content, and the F1 writing of Roebuck and Hughes. Now Nigel is gone, and while Mark Hughes is good, I'm not sure adding Jenny Gow is going to bring anything comparable to Nigel... I mean yes she has pitlane access but so do many, many others.

Edited by Spadowski, Feb 20 2019 - 06:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links