Jump to content


- - - - -

Raceroom Racing Experience


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ginetto

ginetto

    GPL track editor

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lombardia, Italia
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 06:22 AM

Did anybody try this new Simbin product so far?
http://www.raceroom.com/portal_en/
I DL it the other day; it's free to play with option to buy more cars and tracks.
You need Steam to make it work; I DL it and then it did an upgrade with 6.2GB of data.
I then found out that it DL all the material but then you need to buy some of it to be able to use it; when you buy it you can immediately use it.
The sound experience is pretty amazing.

Edited by Ginetto, Mar 11 2013 - 06:23 AM.


#2 sesamiam

sesamiam

    Jack Brabham

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Finland
  • Interests:Old F1´s, game dev
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 07:06 AM

Haven´t tested it yet (but then again I have no time to test or play anything). At least it looks good from what videos I´ve seen about it.

Edited by sesamiam, Mar 11 2013 - 07:06 AM.


#3 jklhill

jklhill

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Interests:GPL and Automobilista
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostGinetto, on Mar 11 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

Did anybody try this new Simbin product so far?
http://www.raceroom.com/portal_en/
I DL it the other day; it's free to play with option to buy more cars and tracks.
You need Steam to make it work; I DL it and then it did an upgrade with 6.2GB of data.
I then found out that it DL all the material but then you need to buy some of it to be able to use it; when you buy it you can immediately use it.
The sound experience is pretty amazing.

OK. Help me understand this. Your link takes me to a page that says "DOWNLOAD FREE GAME". Clicking on that takes me to a page that says "FREE RACING Play for free". You say that after downloading you had to buy something before you can use it. Not only is that not free, it is at the very least bait and switch and maybe false advertising and fraud.

#4 Michkov

Michkov

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Graz
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 03:30 PM

The 2nd link leads to the steam page for the game. Ginetto mentioned already you'll need steam installed to download and run the game. Steam is free, its just a distribution tool

#5 jklhill

jklhill

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Interests:GPL and Automobilista
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Mar 11 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostMichkov, on Mar 11 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

The 2nd link leads to the steam page for the game. Ginetto mentioned already you'll need steam installed to download and run the game. Steam is free, its just a distribution tool

Is the game free?

#6 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 11:40 AM

Yes the game is free(as in, ONE car, ONE track) and is not bad at all....But that is the way games are going now..Bait with free limited content, (a try before you buy kinda thing) If you like it, then go buy some more...It's a good way IMHO, as we all know, and more so with driving games, as they are so different, for each person (some will like it, some will hate it, some will say, "It's a SIM" and others will say, "It's an arcade game") So I think the way it's being sold is a good thing :) Me personally, I downloaded it, I tried it, Hmm not bad..But I do have better driving Sims installed on my PC, so I decided not to go any further, and uninstalled it :)

Edited by SwiftyOne, Mar 12 2013 - 11:43 AM.


#7 jklhill

jklhill

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Interests:GPL and Automobilista
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostSwiftyOne, on Mar 12 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Yes the game is free(as in, ONE car, ONE track) and is not bad at all....But that is the way games are going now..Bait with free limited content, (a try before you buy kinda thing) If you like it, then go buy some more...It's a good way IMHO, as we all know, and more so with driving games, as they are so different, for each person (some will like it, some will hate it, some will say, "It's a SIM" and others will say, "It's an arcade game") So I think the way it's being sold is a good thing :) Me personally, I downloaded it, I tried it, Hmm not bad..But I do have better driving Sims installed on my PC, so I decided not to go any further, and uninstalled it :)

Thank you.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 12 2013 - 02:07 PM

Same deal as iRacing.

#9 ginetto

ginetto

    GPL track editor

  • Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lombardia, Italia
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 13 2013 - 02:19 PM

You can play it for free.
Free material is:
- 2 tracks, one racing track (witth 2 variations) and one on public road like a rally stage.
- 5 or 6 cars; in the free trial there is also a chance to try the Get Real (as they call it) mode, no auto brake , tire heat and wear and all the realistic physics.
To be able to try the rest of tracks and cars you need to buy them but there is a couple of competitions with the free version where the first ten at the end of the month will gain prices ($100 for the first...you can spend the money on the game obviously...) .
Is still beta so I'm not sure what the final product will have available (cars and tracks)

Edited by Ginetto, Mar 13 2013 - 02:21 PM.


#10 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 13 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostGinetto, on Mar 13 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

You can play it for free.
Free material is:
- 2 tracks, one racing track (witth 2 variations) and one on public road like a rally stage.
- 5 or 6 cars; in the free trial there is also a chance to try the Get Real (as they call it) mode, no auto brake , tire heat and wear and all the realistic physics.
To be able to try the rest of tracks and cars you need to buy them but there is a couple of competitions with the free version where the first ten at the end of the month will gain prices ($100 for the first...you can spend the money on the game obviously...) .
Is still beta so I'm not sure what the final product will have available (cars and tracks)

Sounds like more free content has been added, I wonder if the actual driving (physics) has changed...Might give this a second look :)
Thanks for the heads up ;)

Edited by SwiftyOne, Mar 13 2013 - 09:56 PM.


#11 Juramalt

Juramalt

    Jo Siffert

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Hill climbs, Proper engines, Steam trains, Getting GPL to work on a modern PC.....
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 29 2015 - 12:09 PM

This game was pretty buggy when it was released with little content available. It now has 28 tracks including Brands hatch. Nordschleife is about to be released. And at least some of the cars have proper engines. The Corvette & Ford GT1 are fun... There are a few 80's classics in there. BMW 320 turbo for one. It's now a much better sim though multiplayer is still in alpha & has problems. The single player game is now pretty usable. Sadly most if the tracks are more cart like as is the norm these days. Wish they do Spa for it. Wonder if any more of you mess with this?

Edited by Juramalt, Jul 29 2015 - 12:13 PM.


#12 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

    Denny Hulme

  • GTLW Crew
  • 440 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 29 2015 - 06:00 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to getting the DTM 1992 set when I update my PC which currently won't run R3E.

Spa is being worked on as is a laser scanned Nords.

#13 fajanko

fajanko

    Jani Posta

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 29 2015 - 11:44 PM

Tried some free content last weekend. Radical+Suzuka/Bathurst were fun to drive. Sadly my PC is a bit outdated for the latest graphics. + Not too much car and track for my liking.

#14 Juramalt

Juramalt

    Jo Siffert

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Hill climbs, Proper engines, Steam trains, Getting GPL to work on a modern PC.....
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 30 2015 - 12:04 PM

I'm lucky I have a pretty quick PC. They keep adding to the game all the time. DLC's fund further developement. Good news about Spa. Thats my favourite track. Was a bit disappointed with Brands as it's the modern layout! The GPL version is more fun! The dev's are asking for suggestions for cars. So if everybody on here asked for the 1967 cars we might get a new GPL. (In my dreams.) I did make the suggestion & there are a least a few like minded drivers on there!

#15 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

    Denny Hulme

  • GTLW Crew
  • 440 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 31 2015 - 02:28 AM

The thing I like about S3 is they are now trying to produce real championships with cars and tracks, or at least the cars.  Most other devs just produce a random set of cars and tracks.  And they do championships which have a mix of cars.  Reiza do some real championships but apart from these not usually appealing to me, they just offer a single car for each championship (or cars which look a bit different but are the same to drive).  I want the variety of the "old" sims like GPL GT Legends or GTR2.

So if anyone is going to do a historic season it could be S3S.  But they are only just getting into open wheelers so I'd be surprised if a 60s F1 season would be high on the list.  And they haven't done historic tracks so far.

I checked out the forum.  I got the impression the list is just a user wish-list.  Is there a dev post in the thread?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links