ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:54 AM

I don't think modders are affected by what other sims do.
The most part of them work on modding GPL just for the fun of it, is a very good hobby. Who cares if in some other virtual world there is something that looks better; that doesn't make me feel bad.
On the contrary, creating something from scratch after lots of study and research does make me feel good and happy.
Peace and Love :wave:

#17 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:44 AM

View Postbenzman, on May 12 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

I have gone to the Project Cars website and trawled through the screenshots in all of the galleries and a couple of thoughts spring to mind.  For how much longer will we be able to regard GPL as being the King of the racing sims?  I think we all agree that the physics of GPL are what makes it so difficult and satisfying to master, but I think we also realise that graphics-wise it is showing its age.  Are we so fiercely loyal to GPL just because it is the only sim that well represents our favourite era of racing?  I also feel that it must be rather depressing for mod team members.  GPL mods take such a phenomenal amount of work and time to complete that there is a real danger that by the time the mod is ready for release it has already been made obsolete by some other sim.  Without mentioning any names, I feel quite sure that some of the GPL mods either mooted or in development have already been well surpassed by existing mods on other sims.  And now I will sit back and wait for the flames to arrive!
Why would we flame you for stating an opinion? Besides apart from your remark ''being depressed about it'' you made some fair points  ;)

I agree with Ginetto, we are modding for fun. E.g. it's a hobby to create something and pass it along to other fans of the sim.
Although we are aware that GPL is being passed left & right in the graphics & sound area (and possibly everything else as well) we still continue because there aren't much Sims that provide so much goodies as GPL being ; tracks, utilities, skinpacks, soundpacks etc.. Let alone that the simulated seasons depict the 60's. As long as that isn't provided by those sims we still have some time left..  :D

P.S. I've been watching the c.a.r.s. Project with interest. I'm impressed by the high quality graphics of this sim.
When there is something complete available I might have a look. Depends if the Lotus model gets some competition. I'm not thst interested in modern racing cars.

Edited by MECH, May 13 2012 - 03:52 AM.

#18 Royale

Royale

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it.

Posted May 13 2012 - 04:50 AM

... I also feel that it must be rather depressing for mod team members.  GPL mods take such a phenomenal amount of work and time to complete that there is a real danger that by the time the mod is ready for release it has already been made obsolete by some other sim.  Without mentioning any names, I feel quite sure that some of the GPL mods either mooted or in development have already been well surpassed by existing mods on other sims.  And now I will sit back and wait for the flames to arrive!

From Royale May 28 2006, 11:39 AM:
For what it's worth 3DS model work has started on the M8F and Lola T260. With " help" by others I have some hope we can keep moving forward. Bob

So only six years.  :rofl:

So fifty cars later we have quite a stable and one way or another they will see the light of day  :hmm: But in the meantime CanAm 71

I completely agree with Ginetto and Martin as well. I did these cars in 3dsMax so that they could be used somewhere else just in case.

And not depressed a bit  :hat-tip: . I do this because motorsports history is important to me and no other sim has the combination of cars and tracks atm that capture that history. As other mod mates also experience, some days I'm very tired and frustrated but then I look, without profit as a motive, what the community has done and it's pure joy.

And btw I'd flame myself before I'd flame you.  :wave: Bob

Edited by Bob2, May 13 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#19 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 13 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostBob2, on May 13 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

And btw I'd flame myself before I'd flame you.  :wave: Bob
Bloody useless GPL modders!

:P ;)

#20 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 13 2012 - 11:58 AM

View Postdangermouse, on May 13 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

View PostSwiftyOne, on May 12 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Although I have never played GPL, .......

Swifty
You should give it a try as it only costs £5.10 inc p&p. There are 599 tracks to try in the different mods for free. You just might have loads of fun. ;)

You know what?...Think I just will do that :)...Where would be the place to purchase GPL?

EDIT: Just placed a bid on eBay for GPL, cool ;)

Cheers...
Swifty

Edited by SwiftyOne, May 13 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#21 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:26 PM

GPL may be outdated by now in terms of graphics and physics, but I guess for mere mortals (i.e. nearly all of us) it'll probably never be outdated in terms of pure challenge.

(Staying on the track at speed is tough enough in most cases!  :yeah:  )

Yes, I've been saying for years that some modders better get a move on before their stuff is outdated at launch, but that doesn't make it worthless per se. As long as there are people to drive it. In case of GPL potential driver numbers have dwindled for some years though. There is kind of a spin off effect though because many GPL cars and tracks tend to be converted and used again in newer sims later on.

On the other hand, with the newer sims you see kind of the same as with GPL when it came out: looks great, but the system requirements are so heavy (certainly in case of pCars) that many people won't be able to run it smoothly (I have a dual core i5 and I strongly doubt it'll be enough).

Regards, R

#22 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 13 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostSwiftyOne, on May 13 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

You know what?...Think I just will do that :)...Where would be the place to purchase GPL?

EDIT: Just placed a bid on eBay for GPL, cool ;)

Cheers...
Swifty

Just go to, one of our sister sites, the alternative GPL track database and get the new installer to get you going when you get your CD (use this instead of the installer on the CD as it will improve your GPL immediately.). Then use the links there to get all the stuff you want including GEM, a must to run the mods and extra patches,  and of course the extra tracks.

:yinyang:

#23 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 810 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi Swifty,

If you do not get that disc from Ebay, you can get it direct from http://www.sold-out.co.uk/ for £5.10

http://www.mastertro...roductLabelID=1

Edited by dangermouse, May 13 2012 - 04:02 PM.
placed direct link

#24 tooncheesef1

tooncheesef1

Hans Heyer

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F1
    Lanica

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:30 PM

When I first bought GPL I did not update it for a few months, so it was original awful graphics. I dont suppose anyone bought GPL for the graphics, its all about the physics. If c.a.r.s churn out some standard easy to drive physics then I will probably not buy it.

#25 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted May 13 2012 - 03:43 PM

well i guess we did get it for the graphics back then. you gotta remember that GPL is 14 years old now. in words. fourteen! :shock:. we will see how long any of its potential "successors" will be around. i'm eagerly awaiting the day one of the proper old tracks is done for pcars (aside those in it like rouen).

#26 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 13 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the GPL heads up guy's :)8 days left on eBay £2.00 ;)

@ sky... "I'm eagerly awaiting the day one of the proper old tracks is done for pcars" (You probably know about these planned tracks?)

Planned/Confirmed Tracks for pCARS

- Solitude Rennstrecke
- Nordschleife
- Brands Hatch
- Oulton Park
- Snetterton
- Cadwell Park
- Monaco
- Milan Oval
- Old Spa 1967
- Monza (1967 GPL2)

Cheers..
Swifty

Edited by SwiftyOne, May 13 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#27 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing | Computers | Motorsport | 3D Modeling | Skinning

Posted May 14 2012 - 06:57 PM

Mmm... can`t wait for Old Spa...

:drool2: :woot:

#28 GORDON_S

GORDON_S

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 232 posts

Posted May 15 2012 - 08:53 AM

Posts #16 and #17 make me feel that there is still a lot of future for GPL.

Thank you Ginetto and Martin.:thumbup:

Gordon

#29 SwiftyOne - guest

SwiftyOne - guest
  • Guests

Posted May 15 2012 - 02:02 PM

I can't wait for Solitude Rennstrecke...Been playing that in Nascar2003..HeHe Be a great track to race with :)

#30 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,450 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted May 16 2012 - 04:36 AM

I have  gone to the Project Cars website and trawled through the screenshots in  all of the galleries and a couple of thoughts spring to mind.  For how  much longer will we be able to regard GPL as being the King of the  racing sims?  I think we all agree that the physics of GPL are what  makes it so difficult and satisfying to master, but I think we also  realise that graphics-wise it is showing its age.  Are we so fiercely  loyal to GPL just because it is the only sim that well represents our  favourite era of racing?  I also feel that it must be rather depressing  for mod team members.  GPL mods take such a phenomenal amount of work  and time to complete that there is a real danger that by the time the  mod is ready for release it has already been made obsolete by some other  sim.  Without mentioning any names, I feel quite sure that some of the  GPL mods either mooted or in development have already been well  surpassed by existing mods on other sims.  And now I will sit back and  wait for the flames to arrive!

Oh, Benzman, I see some frustrations in your analysis.

What you say maybe completely true, but what will you try to convince others that are alls at least as aware as you of many others mods on others platforms, and their qualities ??

As a loyal old GPLer afficionados, why suddenly  you  seems to have a revenge toward the great game ?

We all welcome the SwiftyOne infos and I am sure we wld alls try and play a sixties /seventies mod on Project cars platform.

After all, we don' t know of modders and alls that stay here  maybe play more "sophisticated ' games in parallel .

Edited by M Needforspeed, May 16 2012 - 05:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links