Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 03:57 PM

Yes, don't buy pre-owned pc games. (unless they are old like GPL)

You're getting a Steam key anyway, you don't even need the discs to install them.

#17 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 05:18 PM

Hi Millennium:

Steam key vs DVD:

That's slowly sinking in on me. That is, no matter which direction you go with these modern games, seems you end up at Steam. Sucks, but I guess it is what it is.

Now, my goal is to hold off a bit and HOPE for a sale price!  Oh, and I've about decided to get Dirt Rally (first) AND Dirt 4 (eventually). From what I'm reading, each bring strong suits (and negatives) to the table... but if you like rally racing sims, how can you go wrong? Me thinks I'm re-discovering a genre of sim racing that is going to mesh well with my dirt biking side!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#18 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 692 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 06:50 PM

Steamkey, saves on shelf space :)

Here is the link to DIRT Rally PC version on steam. Generally you can take it for granted that everything on steam works on PC.

Edited by Michkov, Sep 07 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#19 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Sep 07 2017 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Michkov!

Apparently it was right under my nose and I didn't know it.

I have bookmarked that page and will watch for a sale.

Edit: I think what has confused me is the way Amazon offers Dirt Rally. Note there's PS4 versions, Xbox versions, PC DVD, etc:

https://www.amazon.c...ords=Dirt Rally

Old Simmer

Edited by Old Simmer, Sep 07 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#20 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,661 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Sep 07 2017 - 03:02 AM, said:

I really don`t know if you need to be online to start DiRT Rally or DiRT 4.
I will check myself tonight by unplugging my network cable of my router or of my PC tonight befor I start DiRT Rally and also DiRT 4 and report.

View PostOld Simmer, on Sep 07 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

Online/offline: I anxiously await your findings.

View PostMichkov, on Sep 07 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

This is more for Stefan, but the desktop links used to launch games on steam aren't shortcuts to the game exe but to the steam client software which in turn launches the game. Take a look at their properties vs a normal shortcut to see what I mean. There are .exe files for each game as well but you need to dig into the steam apps folder on your HD to find them.

Finally I have got around to test it. One day later than planned as real life got in the way.

Tested with unplugged network cable = PC offline:

DiRT Rally:
I clicked on the DiRT Rally shortcut on my desktop (that leads to the steam client - thx for the info Michkov) and the steam client window gets started/appears. Then I clicked on the button to use it offline.  DiRT Rally starts and you can play everything that does not need to go online. That means the whole career and self created offline events. Of course you can not update your best times online as you can not connect to RaceNet (Codemasters free online race community and statistics service). And you can not drive Daily, Weekly and Monthly Events as they also need RaceNet. But these events are great fun and a good chance to earn money. Needless to say you can not use Multiplayer as it needs to conect to a Codemasters server.

DiRT 4:
Well, it is basically the same than with DiRT Rally. You can drive all offline events/careers (Rally Cross, Hostoric Rally, ... and so on). Of course you can also not update any times to the internet best lists as it needs RaceNet (btw the time best lists also can show your buddys times of single stages you are friend with via steam).

On the long term you will miss a lot of nice features of both games if you can not play online. But you can still play both games even so your internet might be down for some hours. :)

@Old Simmer: I recommend to create a steam account and buy both games online at steam. This is the easiest way. :)

Edit: And thx for the link to the "Best of WRC 2016" video: https://www.youtube....jeydU1KvU&t=12s :up:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 08 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#21 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 08 2017 - 04:55 PM

Thank you so much Stefan for getting a definitive answer!

I don't have a problem at all with needing to be online for online things within the games... I just don't want the games to REQUIRE online presence before they would even START. Been there, done that with one game, and it was uninstalled as soon as I discovered that. (Which I discovered during an internet outage by the way!)

I will likely create a Steam account and hope for a sale on Dirt Rally SOON. If a sale doesn't happen SOON... I might cave-in and pay full purchase price for Dirt Rally and then bide my time and wait for a sale on Dirt 4.

In the meantime, I do have RBR installed on my old XP machine, and even though it drives nice... I'm NOT impressed with its looks. (Even a sunny day is drab.) I realize we want physics to be convincing... but I also enjoy the immersive quality of well-done graphics. Both DR and D4 appear to have GREAT visuals. In that respect, our old favorite GPL with add-ons/graphics improvements really helps with the immersive quality of GPL.

Thanks again Stefan!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#22 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 12 2017 - 04:43 AM

Some of the merchants are starting to lower their price for Dirt Rally!  :)

https://isthereanyde...plain=dirtrally

I wait... I watch...

:D

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#23 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 14 2017 - 09:44 PM

I'm downloading DiRT RALLY!!!

Today a vendor had it on sale for US $14.99!!  How can you pass up a deal like THAT???

The download is huge (by my previous download standards)... so I'm sure it will be downloading all night long.

I hope the game will work with my ancient Logitech Momo FFB wheel. (It uses combined axis on the throttle/brake :(  )

Anyway... YIPPEEE!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#24 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 15 2017 - 04:47 AM

It downloaded complete overnight. Never done this Steam thing before, so...

Before I screw something up: Does anyone know how do I install/initiate the game?  I see a "drt" application file... click that?

(Trepidation on my part that I'll foul something up!)

#25 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,661 posts

Posted Sep 15 2017 - 08:01 AM

I am not in front of my PC and typing on my mobile.
Just install it, you cant screw up anything. :)
The game will be installed in your Steam folder/installation.
After you have installed the game there should be an icon on your desktop for DiRT Rally (DR) to start it. Or start Steam and start DR from where your installed games are listed.
I recommend to untick that Steam is booting with Windows. You can set it somewhere in the Steam settings.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 15 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#26 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 16 2017 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Stefan!

Click the start button, eh? Well... imagine that! :P

I have now successfully installed and raced within Dirt Rally. :)

Oh, and Steam doesn't seem to be the diabolical device of the devil as I have heard.

As for Dirt Rally:

* I can tell my GPU struggles with it. The in-game features are set down toward the "Low" sides of the features settings, yet I can see momentary pauses as my GPU tries to deal with the onslaught of graphical data. This makes for the "handling" of the car to be a bit lagging. I don't know if DR has a "FPS" display feature, but I would guess my FPS to drop into the lower 20's at times, given the way the display will momentarily lag.

* It appears to have a good potential for an immersive game/sim.

* My old Logitech Momo wheel seems to be archaic with it's combined axis for throttle/brake and it really confounds some of the more modern sims. For example, if I stall up against an object, I have to press the brake to the floor to enable a "Reverse" feature. (Does this in RBR too.)  As a contrast, in GPL and N2003 Season (for examples), I access "Reverse" with my gear shift lever by down shifting until I'm in "Reverse" gear.

I suspect that if I am more inclined to "get into" DR... I will begin to seriously consider upgrading my GPU so I can enjoy smoother performance, and a more visually stunning display. In addition, it may require a new wheel/pedals in order to extract more immersion. Can you say "$$$"?

All fer now!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#27 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 19 2017 - 07:14 AM

I enjoyed Dirt Rally very much, was disappointed with Dirt 4.... it was OK but didn't put a big stupid smile on my face like Dirt Rally.

Dunno why some people have such a problem with Steam, it does the job and if you're prepared to wait for sale prices it can be quite cheap too. It'll keep your game up to date with the latest patches, this can be a good thing....but if the game developer releases buggy updates can also cause problems too by patching a decent old version of the game with a buggy new version.

Also, if you buy a new PC, simply install Steam and download your entire game library without looking for discs. I found this very useful when I discovered my new PC doesn't have an optical drive :(

Edited by Fat Rich, Sep 19 2017 - 07:15 AM.

#28 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 19 2017 - 09:37 PM

I understand about the "big stupid smile"!  I find myself leaning into the curves!!

After playing it significantly more since the above post, I conclude that my machine handles it better than first thought. Yes, I have some of the settings "low", and very few settings near "high"... but the immersion factor is great and the game play is a ton of fun. I'm currently running the Mini in my Career mode and in the process of amassing my fortune. I'm running in the "Open" class (the slowest AI setting?) and typically finish mid-pack or top five. That's good enough for now as I gain experience and build finances. Eventually, I will go on a spending spree and buy a faster car/etc.  But for now, the little Mini is serving me well... but that short wheelbase can make it a handful at times on fast, bumpy straights and after a "not so perfect" landing after a jump!

I'm watching the prices on WRC 7, and if they get that down there ridiculously cheap, I'll purchase, even though I probably won't have acceptable performance on my computer until I upgrade my GPU.

All fer now!

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#29 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 22 2017 - 09:16 PM

Had an ISP outage tonight. Guess what? I couldn't launch Dirt Rally.  Does anyone know what do I need to do in order to play DR offline? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#30 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,661 posts

Posted Sep 23 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostOld Simmer, on Sep 22 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Had an ISP outage tonight. Guess what? I couldn't launch Dirt Rally.  Does anyone know what do I need to do in order to play DR offline? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Hello Andre

Hm.... that is really strange, as it worked on my system with unplugged network cable (see post above #20). :shock: :?:

How did you lunch Dirt Rally?
- When you start it via the desktop Dirt Rally icon you should get asked if you want to use Steam offline
- When you start it via Steam, there you can set Steam offline at the tab "Steam"

As posted above. When I used/set Steam offline I was able to start Dirt Rally and play it. But I couldn`t use any online features of Dirt Rally, but at I was able to play Dirt Rally offline.

Which error message did you get?

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 23 2017 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links