• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 02 2017 - 07:58 PM

Hi All:

Made the mistake of reading the "Dirt - Dirt4" rally thread. Wow... that looks like fun. Over the years I've played two rally "sims".  They are:

* Rally Trophy (JoWood Productions, burn date of 2001). Had fun with it, really liked the immersive feeling of it, thought the weather effects and such were fun... but the game play wasn't quite "there". Otherwise, had fun with it for a while.

* Richard Burns Rally  (SCI Games, burn date of 2004). Recall it having pretty sophisticated physics/control... but I thought the immersion wasn't quite as good as the above older sim. However, I might try installing it again if you all think it's still pretty much the "go to" Rally sim.

I have an old Logitech Momo FF wheel that has NEVER given me trouble that I intend to use with either the above, or some other rally sim that gets recommended and I find interesting.

Oh, my system is:

Intel Core i7 67000K CPU @ 4.00 Ghz Clock Speed
16gb RAM
300gb Solid State Drive (primary)
1TB Hard Drive (secondary)
OS - Win7 Pro 64bit
GeForce GTX 650

Do you think I have enough system to smoothly run one of the "Dirt" rally sims discussed in the thread I mentioned above?

Thanks for any input.

Old Simmer
aka Andre Ming

#2 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,622 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Sep 02 2017 - 11:45 PM

If you wanna try reinstall the still very good RBR, remember to install either
RSRBR
or
RealRally

I've tried the first one, very well done and it adds so many cars and tracks that it becomes difficult to try them all.

The second one lately became more for online racing for what I understood but I'm not sure, had many tracks and cars too.

#3 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 02:28 AM

Somewhat unbalanced config you've got there. That old, budget line gfx card falls quite behind the powerful rest of the system. That being said, I guess you should be fine with Dirt Rally - one thing Codemasters did very well in it was optimization - I could run it above 60fps absolutely maxed out at 1200p resolution using my previous card, GTX780, so 650 should run and look still OK with reduced settings.

No experience with Dirt 4 though.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 03:44 AM

Running Dirt with those specs shouldn't be a problem. But as mentoined here above, your gpu is quite weak compared to the rest of your system. Imo it's a bit of a waste of potential if you have such a powerful cpu but you pair it with quite and an old graphics card. Even A mid range card from a previous generation (or even one before that) can give it a massive boost in game peformance.

Edited by Millennium, Sep 03 2017 - 03:49 AM.

#5 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 10:12 AM

I agree. You might wanna look into a 960, should be cheap these days and you'll gain quite the momentum compared to the 650, which let's your cpu go to waste. Many people are selling their 970 too, so that would be a pretty good deal.

#6 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 12:17 PM

Hi All:

Thanks much for your input. I've spent some time on Youtube looking at the DiRT series, and found video comparisons between it an d RBR. Seems RBR compares favorably with the latest/greatest, with some even saying the physics are right in there or superior to what's currently available. There are also community-created upgrades for it. So, I might install it onto this computer and see how it feels/etc to me now.

As for my gpu: It's a holdover from this machine's previous life. The original motherboard or CPU developed issues, and I decided to replace both. Sort of like "kill 'am all and let God sort 'em out" approach. I have considered replacing the gpu with something more in keeping with it's other capabilities. Seems a shame to choke it with the old GTX 650. The 960 and 970 being referred to, is that also a GTX board? i.e. What name do I do a search for?

Need to also post a question about my Momo FFB wheel... but perhaps it needs its own thread in which forum?

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

#7 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 01:46 PM

Hello Old Simmer

I also love(d) Richard Burns Rally and Rally Trophy (btw it still works with Windows 10). :)

I can recommend DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 to you.
Both games should work fine on your system, even with your graphics card.
You can adjust both game`s graphics settings so they do even work on lower systems.

Both games are great. DiRT Rally has nicer stages as they are individually crated.
DiRT 4 has the nice track generator. But because of this the track sections repeat itself.
So you can recognize the same sections again. DiRT 4 stages are individuall.
Even so since DiRT 4 is released I haven`t raced DiRT Rally anymore.

My system:

<<< System Summary >>>
  > Windows 10 Pro
  > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
  > Chipset : AMD 790X
  > Processor : AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2400   MHz
  > Physical Memory : 8192  MB  (4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
  > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

#8 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Stefan for your input.  Just tried installing Rally Trophy on this Win7 machine and it apparently won't function. Seemed Win7 had difficulty successfully reading the (pristine) CD. Once it successfully opened the CD and displayed the folders/files, it APPEARED to have successfully installed the game. However, trying to launch the game resulted in nothing. Oh well, no biggie. I've already uninstalled RT.

I ought to just poop can the idea of a rally sim and play with the racing sims that WILL work on this finicky computer!

#9 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 02:38 PM

I think I remember when I tried to install Dirt on my pc from an original disc,it was riddled with Starforce protection. So I could never play it and had to get a later Dirt ? I think you can get it on Steam though,to remove the latter ?

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 03 2017 - 02:40 PM.

#10 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,654 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 02:41 PM

Strange. Rally Trophy works on Windows 7 and Windows 10.
The only problem I had was to set my wheel in game.

Look here for a fix:
"So I fixed that controls settings problem" thread at NoGrip forums:
http://www.nogriprac...ad.php?t=328055

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 04 2017 - 05:02 AM.

#11 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 03:03 PM

I just installed RT on my old XP machine, then copied/pasted the entire folder into my Win 7 machine. However, still nothing when I click to run the game from within the JoWood/Rally Trophy folder. Doing this will work on GPL and N2003, but not this time.

Darn. Watching videos of RT on Youtube reminded me how immersive the silly little game was.

#12 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,323 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 04:21 PM

Try comparability and administration options on the exe,if not already tried ?
Rally trophy works for me on win7 64 bit.
Also a bit more description and symptoms when trying to start RT.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Sep 03 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#13 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 05:18 PM

Compatibility mode off the exe did it!  It's functioning and as much fun as I remembered.

I'm running the copied/pasted XP install on my Win 7, so I suspect that's why I can't set my controls within the game. (Having to run automatic transmission on account if I set the controls so I can shift!) However, now that I know it WILL function on this Win 7 machine, I will reinstall onto my primary C drive so it can write the needed things to the registry and delete this copy/paste version off my E drive.

Quick remembrance: Even though RBR is far more sophisticated, for some reason I always kind of enjoyed this little rally sim more than RBR.

Back to the roads of Russia!!

Thanks all for help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

#14 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 07:33 PM

Update:

Installed RT onto my primary C drive and it does function and right clicking on the exe within the folder does result in the game launching and being quite playable. However, I cannot set the control options within the game, so I'm stuck using the "Automatic" transmission setting. I hope I don't ever have to back up! Plus, not shifting gears does take away from the experience somewhat.

I had forgotten that you have to place in the top 6 in order to leave a stage (Novice setting) and I'm going to have to rerun the Finland stage. Wish there was an addon that would modify the Championship season so you advance regardless of how you're performing like GPL, or N2003, and other racing sims, will do.

Still, though, it's fun... so I'm going to piddle with playing it for a spell.

Any input/ideas on why I can't set the controls within the game would be much appreciated. (May want to check my "Logitech Momo" thread in the "hardware" forum for more info on that issue.)

Old Simmer
Andre Ming

Edited by Old Simmer, Sep 03 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#15 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,323 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Sep 03 2017 - 11:00 PM

Controller fix. Not sure if it will work for wheels ?
http://www.nogriprac...hp?filenr=41294

Add ons  http://www.nogriprac...s.php?maincat=1

Other:  http://www.nogriprac...hp?filenr=43053

http://www.cheatbook...es/rallytro.htm

TP:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links