Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 07:52 AM

What do you guys think of this? It looks interesting and i'm tempted.

#2 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 10:06 AM

Seems it will be a useful improvement on pCARS1.  A bit disappointed they chose to add ice and gravel racing rather than focus entirely on improving the basic product.  I will definitely buy it, though I'm worried my PC won't run it very well.  But I will buy it as sequel to pCARS1 and not expecting it to replace my current favourites.

#3 Gui

Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 10:29 AM

They couldn't work things out for pC1 and had to scale back on content and game mode (you can find publicized career plans and racing branches), and now they've expanded the types of racing surfaces and depth. Tracks held off from pC1 will be released in pC2 without work done to address the inaccuracies. SMS's owner saw absolutely nothing wrong with the game despite all the documented issues. I'd wait a couple of months after release for adequate user reviews and feedback to come out as nearly everything related to this raises questions and skepticism.

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostDavid Wright Lo67, on Aug 16 2017 - 10:06 AM, said:

Seems it will be a useful improvement on pCARS1.  A bit disappointed they chose to add ice and gravel racing rather than focus entirely on improving the basic product.  I will definitely buy it, though I'm worried my PC won't run it very well.  But I will buy it as sequel to pCARS1 and not expecting it to replace my current favourites.

Yes, it looks like it will be a load. It's the first sim i've seen that recommended a 1080 card. I only have a 1060, so we'll see how it does.

#5 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 12:30 PM

I bought the first game on release day, but was very dissapointed. The physics just feel way off, also all the post processing effects annoyed me. Tried a lot of different settings but there was always some kind of blur active.

It was only a nice game for creating screenshots, so I'll skip this sequel. For me Assetto Corsa tops this game in pretty much every way.

Edited by Millennium, Aug 16 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:10 PM

Funny you should say that. I watched a video by a racer who started as a sim racer who made it in real racing. He's doing a lot of testing on PC2 and claims it's the most real to a real race car feel. He was comparing AC and RF2 to PC2.

I forgot his name.

#7 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:13 PM

I've never heard any simracer saying that before, but everyone has their opinion ofcourse. It's definitly not as good as RF2 or iRacing physics, and according to a majority of Steam and Youtube channels communities I mostly see people that think AC is a lot better as well.

I don't know if you ever played the NFS Shift series (it's from the same makers) but to me it feels like Project Cars is still on that simcade level of realism.

Edited by Millennium, Aug 16 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:28 PM

We're talking about PC 2. Did all the guys you're talking about try it already? I'll find that video.

#9 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 02:51 PM

I'm still looking for that video, but I ran into this one. Graphics are really nice, but it looks like it has too much grip.

https://www.youtube....h?v=nmt-GsiejNs

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 03:00 PM

This one is much better. He's not using TrackIR, so no crazy head movements. The high speed grip looks good. He was breaking loose a lot and you could see the car had lift like it should. Maybe that first video was on easy settings or something.

Check this one.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BmOrbt1SB_w

#11 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 03:51 PM

Graphics are great, always has been. But physics still look very much arcade style to me. Compare it to the Lotus 49 from iRacing, the one in Project Cars looks like it is riding on rails to me. The steering also always felt a bit vague in Project Cars, never had that in other racegames.

Anyway, can't say much about PC2 but based on my experience with the first game I'd rather pass it. Which doesn't mean it's bad, my brother actually really liked the first game. (He's not really in to other sims though)

Edited by Millennium, Aug 16 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#12 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 04:09 PM

I never thought the physics for the iRacing 49 was wrong. As do many others. I've never seen the 49 break loose at high speed like it does on iRacing. That's why I gave up on them.

I wish I could find that video again. He talked about iRacing. He said the racing is great, but didn't think the physics were right.

#13 Gui

Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 09:27 PM

Wait for the demo to drive it, find someone on YouTube who has videos and has extremely similar views to you and posts a review or early look, and if you buy the game, make the most of the 2 hours you have before being ineligible for a refund.

#14 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 02:51 AM

I hated PCars 1 because of the terrible AI, inaccurate tracks and uninspiring physics. It sounds like they've improved PCars2 in all those areas but I won't be rushing into buying it...........maybe when it goes on Steam Sale in 6 months time.

I just don't have much time for simracing at the moment, I don't really need another jack-of-all-trades sim that doesn't simulate a complete season of racing with all the correct cars, circuits and drivers.

I'd rather spend my free time driving GPL, Dirt Rally or Assetto Corsa, I just really enjoy driving them.... much more than other sims for some reason even though they have their faults. :)

Edited by Fat Rich, Aug 17 2017 - 02:52 AM.

#15 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 07:50 AM

Well, Sept is the beginning of my hunting season, so i'll be in no rush either. I'm actually taking a break from sim racing and have started up another passion that i've done for two decades. Combat flight sims. DCS and BMS at the moment.

I started this to see what others thought. I've had PC 1 bought in Steam for years and only put 1 hour into it. I'll wait to see what others think of PC 2 before thinking about buying it.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Aug 17 2017 - 07:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links