ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 19 2020 - 06:52 AM

If you listen carefully to this you will hear about the topic discussed here :rolleyes:

1966 MGM Grand Prix Autodromo Nazionale Monza Racing Sequences

IIRC cigar shape give the biggest drafting effect.

#82 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Apr 19 2020 - 07:52 AM

M Needforspeed

"what was roughly your distance to the cars in front?"

Can't rightly recall but as close as could be.  To lose the slipstream was curtains.  My ride was probably down a couple of BHP compared to the likes of champions Peter Moennick and Horst Kroll so it was crucial to go like the devil on Lap01 to be on their tails exiting the Moss Hairpin complex.  Two BHP is a lot in FV.

I neglected to mention in my initial post that the race distance was 20 laps.  I was timed at a best of 1m50s so to lose 110s over 20 laps would average a loss of 5-1/2s per laps.  It meant that much.

I sold the Kelly to our fellow SRMZ member here, robwmack, in mid-1975 and he ran it for several seasons.  I'm sure he can verify that it was down on power compared to the Top Guns.

#83 Reco21

Reco21

Pablo Sosa

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends

Posted Apr 19 2020 - 02:34 PM

XXXIV Grand Prix de Reims 1968

https://www.youtube....h?v=X_TROOKv4iw

Edited by Reco21, Apr 19 2020 - 02:49 PM.

#84 Olaf Lehmann

Olaf Lehmann

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted Apr 19 2020 - 11:22 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Apr 18 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

That's interesting Olaf!! A slipstream slightly higher than that from original gpl cars and starting at 85 meters (at full speed, I guess) seems very reasonable.

Now... How do you think it could apply to the mods? It would increase even more their slipstream, or reduce to 85 meters as in original cars?

Marcos
If you ask me: "Your red bench looks nice. Could you coat the bench of your neighbour with this colour?" I will not do that. It's the bench of the neighbour! And...furthermore it could become difficult because at this bench are often sitting people...

But I repeat: You are invited to sit on my bench. Find out how the seat feels...

#85 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted Apr 19 2020 - 11:32 PM

Olaf,
I just was wondering how your patch (as is) would affect mods. I understand that it wasn't designed for them. And, of course, I'm not asking you for modifying the mods.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

Marcos

#86 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 20 2020 - 12:22 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Apr 18 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

However, at 21:28 the cars go past bushes after Flugplatz. After the third car at 21:31, the bushes are still obviously having air rushing forward for 3 seconds - until 21:34 and probably much longer.

There is little damping in a branch that would dissipate the motion. Once you set a bush in motion it's going to take a while to settle down again even if the turbulence around it is gone

View PostManfred Cubenoggin, on Apr 18 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

The draft can be devastating.  In my time of racing a 2nd-rate Kelly FV at Mosport back in the mid-70's, if I could hang with the leaders til I got to the Moss Hairpin on Lap01, I could stay with them all the way up the Andretti Straight and contend for the entire race.  If I lost the draft, they'd lap me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but FV are rather low powered, so the draft comes into effect much sooner since they hit terminal speed sooner than the stronger cars that can accelerate for longer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links