- - - - -

About The Setups... Gpl Track Database, Mod55 And So On...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ROOKIE4EVER

ROOKIE4EVER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 16 2020 - 08:40 AM

:hat-tip:

My request is in two parts but as it concerns the setups I will only do one topic.

1- My first request is about the GPL track database. It proposes setups for mods 65, 66, 67, 69 (+ SC & TC).

Would it be possible that it could be modified so that those who can, share their setups for other mods ? That would be really nice.

2- I take this opportunity to make a direct request that will, I hope, not only concern me. Not having been driving for almost two years (mostly because of lack of setups) I'd like to get back to it but for that I would need setups for the mod55, a mod I want to drive with for my come-back on tracks with GPL.

As I have read in other similar topics about setups I will specify from the start what I want here. It will avoid that I get the same answers. I'm looking here for the answers of those who have setups and wish to share them.

Not the answers of those who want to tell me that making your own setups is very quick, very fun, that it's part of the GPL (yes it is, but it's not an obligation) and that it's very simple.

For me it's not simple, not fast, not fun, I don't like it. It's probably the only thing I don't like in GPL. So I wouldn't do it.

So there's no need to come and give me some hints on how to make my setups myself, how to use this or that tool, and this and that... I wouldn't answer.

On the other hand, if you understood me well and that you come to offer me your setups for the mod55 I would thank you very much. With the greatest gratitude.

I would like to take this opportunity, even if we don't see them around here for a long time, to thank Chris Moses and Dark (Stewart Grove) who have in the past shared a lot of setups for the 67's cars (http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3636). Very stable setups, very useful for someone like me who uses clutch + brake right foot. Setups that brought me a lot of comfort and allowed me to have a lot of fun with GPL for years.

So, to conclude, if you have some setups, especially for the 55 Gordini (but also the others) and the Papy tracks and you want to share them, you'll make me a great pleasure and I thank you in advance.

Sorry if I displease, by the way, some people with this message.

:thanks: :wave:

#2 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Classic Sports Cars

Posted May 16 2020 - 10:26 AM

ROOOKIEFOREVER,

Your request is some what impractical in scope.  There are about 20 mods and sub mods including the Aussie mods 1964 through 1969,  7 to 30 some cars per mod and thousands of tracks.  Multiply all this out and you get over 300,000 setups needed to cover every combination of mod, track and car.

A more practical approach is to make a few basic changes to the existing Default set ups, and work from there.  I have recently changed to right foot braking and clutch use with a gear shift.  All my old left foot brake set ups were no longer applicable.  I developed a basic set of universal adjustments that can be made to the default set up far every car and every mod on just about every track.  These changes will get you in the right ball park ... further fine tuning is up to you.  Based on your request, I suspect you will stop at the basic changes.

So here goes:
  • Set the front break balance to 52%
  • Set the steering ratio to 10 : 1
  • Set the fuel level to about 20 laps.
  • Go to the suspension page and set the Diff Ratio to 60 / 45
  • Set the clutches to 5
  • Move the diff ratio lower (to the left) if you are running out of top speed ... or higher (to the  right) if you never get into top gear.  Many default set ups are repeated for every track and assume an average top speed and gear range.
You are now in the set-up ball park for right foot braking ; clutch use; and a gear shift of some sort.  These suggestions will probably work for paddle shifters too.

This is where i start with every mod, car, and track.  In most cases it is a reasonable first try.  Adjusting the front and rear sway bays is another first step action if your car and driving style are experiencing excessive over steer (increase rear bar in 10 pound increments) ... or under steer (increase the front bar in 10 pound increments).  Over steer is when the rear or the car is loose and under steer is when the front of the car does not want to turn in (sorry if you already knew this).  Twenty to thirty pounds is usually enough to see a noticeable change.

These revised "default" set ups will be short of perfection but still very acceptable for just about every:  track, mod, and car combination.

I hope this helps,

Roger F

#3 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted May 16 2020 - 11:40 AM

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11911 - I posted some setups for 1955 here in post 4. I am left foot braking, so if the rear is locking up first, just move the brake bias rearwards, however, with the lift and coast needed in 1955, they might be fine for RFB from memory? I only lightly tweaked the defaults and they are mostly Mercedes/Mercedes streamliner GPLrank setups. No Gordini one there on the final physics sadly :(, but I do remember beta testing it at Reims with a 5-box. I also remember trying RFB!

I do still try to add setups to GPLTD if I feel I have made a good one - usually only 67s as that is what I am mostly racing. http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?ir=Stats - You can see here that I uploaded the last ones added when I raced Syracuse at oAo 1 month ago, however I also added my setup for trnton67 2 weeks after that.

For extra slots, we would need CA71, CA66, 67F2, 55 and now 68. There is space for two more on the pop up download page before having to make an extra row. Given how little it is seemingly used it might not be worth the effort for e.g. Stefan who has admin powers, or might have to go 'up the line' (to Bill?) to be edited. On that note, if editing is happening, the comments section for all setups seems to cut off after a small amount of the row and not include the whole row - hopefully there would be a setting/something to drag to make the rest of the row there visible. :)

Any further setup packs could still be uploaded here for the newer mods of course, it would just need to be searched for or linked to any new threads like I am doing with mine above.

#4 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 909 posts

Posted May 16 2020 - 02:31 PM

Almost all have the same problem: we haven´t raced some mods enough for having setups for all of them and for most of the cars. With the 65s, 67F2s, 68s and 69xs I take a 1967 setup for the same car and tweak the gears and the wheel rates a bit. If everything is ok, I tweak the PSIs and that is usually enough to get a decently competitive and stable setup. I don´t make setups for breaking world records. Even with such a setup, I am not fast enough :D
For the 1955s, usually the default setups are good enough, though you can play with gears/differential/ARBs and so on, but nobody did that in the real world in the 50s. With the SportCars I do the same than with the F1/F2 cars.

#5 ROOKIE4EVER

ROOKIE4EVER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted May 16 2020 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for your answers.

Iestyn you know you're still wellcome in the G67 championship.

:hat-tip:

#6 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,562 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 16 2020 - 03:18 PM

View PostROOKIE4EVER, on May 16 2020 - 08:40 AM, said:

1- My first request is about the GPL track database. It proposes setups for mods 65, 66, 67, 69 (+ SC & TC).

Would it be possible that it could be modified so that those who can, share their setups for other mods ? That would be really nice.

That is a very good request.
It would be great if we could upload setups for all mods.

Atm when you click on "Link" at the section Year/Mod Available
http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?ir=Setups
you can upload
65 setups 66 setups 67 setups 69 setups GT setups TC setups (as you wrote).

Besides Bill Cooper, the owner of the GPLTD, I am the only one (AFAIK) with admin rights for the GPLTD.
I have an admin option "Create Setup Folders", but that only creates a setup folder of a specific track.
I can not add new buttons/sections for setups for other mods.
That can only do Bill by deeper editing the database.
I will contact Bill and ask if he could please do it. But that can take a while.

This might also be helpful when you search for setups and setup guides:
http://www.gplworld....ends/gpl-setups
At the end of the page, you find a list of many mods and their three-letter extension that identifies the chassis.
I still need to add the F1 68 mod extensions, also TC mod (only has one setup extension for all chassis), LoG mod, ... anymore missing?

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, May 16 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#7 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted May 16 2020 - 04:34 PM

i wont say that  default setups in general  are always good , the original 67 were terribly bad the 65-66-69 are not so good , but in the case of the f155 , so as the F2 and the F168 they really are good .for the 55 i just reduce the steering ratio to 1/15 , adjust the fuel  and the gearing need some tweaking

Edited by KARTM, May 16 2020 - 05:20 PM.

#8 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted May 17 2020 - 10:00 AM

now im in the mood for the 55 mod i give a try to Bremgarten  with it , a blast , didnt change anything to the setup of my 250f except the steering ratio great fun had to change the AI setting to .96

Attached Files

Edited by KARTM, May 17 2020 - 10:02 AM.

#9 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted May 18 2020 - 06:23 AM

same at Reims , except for the steering ratio ,and the gearing , default setup are spot-on,  Reims and Bremgarten are really fun in 55 mod theres no brake fade problem on these tracks

#10 Bill

Bill

BRM Freak

• Administrators
  • 973 posts

Posted May 24 2020 - 11:44 AM

This can be done rather easily, i will look into it but may require some input as to add what mods etc.
Let me see what i can do.

#11 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted May 24 2020 - 03:51 PM

Thanks Bill and everyone.

I really would like to get some decent base setups and track specific setups for the 55's in particular.

would be very, very helpful.

Paul.

#12 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,562 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 25 2020 - 01:36 AM

View PostBill, on May 24 2020 - 11:44 AM, said:

This can be done rather easily, i will look into it but may require some input as to add what mods etc.
Let me see what i can do.

Thank you Bill!
And also a big thank you for hosting various forums and databases! :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links