prize

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:GPL add-on tracks and mods
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 07 2020 - 12:37 PM

What's your favorite version of the Monaco track?  Does it depend on which car mod you're using?

Thanks

#2 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 07 2020 - 03:12 PM

I rarely run Monaco, deeming it an anachronism that would have been dropped from the schedule decades ago were it not for the money and prestige there (and how many F1 drivers live there).  If this track existed outside of a town somewhere, as most tracks are, would F1 even consider running a race there?

That said, I prefer versions of the track in its original layout;  the modern circuit merely adds more chicanes to a track that is basically one big chicane to start with.

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,170 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 07 2020 - 11:40 PM

The added details and improved textures of the "Monaco Rocks" version are, for me, the best version of the track. It's a long time since I've installed Monaco, but I think you get the "Monaco Rocks" version if you use the latest GPL all-in-one installer.

The track is a unique and enjoyable challenge, and obviously we now have some GPL mods which are pretty difficult to drive there (such as the 1971 Can-Am cars). But I wouldn't consider changing the version of the track I'm using to suit any particular mod. That would seem quite unrealistic to me. IMO it's up to the drivers and cars to adapt to the track, not the other way around.

Edited by Saiph, May 07 2020 - 11:41 PM.

#4 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends

Posted May 08 2020 - 08:16 AM

View PostSaiph, on May 07 2020 - 11:40 PM, said:

The added details and improved textures of the "Monaco Rocks" version are, for me, the best version of the track. It's a long time since I've installed Monaco, but I think you get the "Monaco Rocks" version if you use the latest GPL all-in-one installer.

The track is a unique and enjoyable challenge, and obviously we now have some GPL mods which are pretty difficult to drive there (such as the 1971 Can-Am cars). But I wouldn't consider changing the version of the track I'm using to suit any particular mod. That would seem quite unrealistic to me. IMO it's up to the drivers and cars to adapt to the track, not the other way around.

What he said .....

Besides, .............. it's MONACO !!!!    I wallow in the historical and traditional aspects and details found in GPL  ... qualities that are lacking in today's Formula one... Monza, Hockenheim, Zandvoort, Monaco and SPA are all that's left of the mighty circuits, and even they are just a weaker representation of what they once were.

#5 TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Photography, classic cars, and motor-racing history.

Posted May 08 2020 - 09:24 AM

I use "Monacane" most of the time, but still use the original Monaco with the '55 mod because brake fade is a nightmare at Monaco, and the faster chicane means there's a nice long run from Portier to Tabac where you can cool them off a bit!

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,170 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 08 2020 - 09:50 AM

View PostRamoats, on May 08 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

Besides, .............. it's MONACO !!!! I wallow in the historical and traditional aspects and details found in GPL  ...

So true. Anyone who appreciates and respects the history of motor racing, and doesn't treat it like shallow, disposable entertainment, will always find a place for Monaco.

#7 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted May 08 2020 - 11:09 AM

"...it's up to the drivers and cars to adapt to the track, not the other way around."

Exactly.  Which is why I am so vociferously opposed to any racing series, whether F1 or NASCARE, continuously redesigning tracks every few years;  to me this just implies modern drivers are not as good as those of the past.  

"Hockenheim is too fast."  Then slow the cars.
"Monza is too fast."  Again, slow the cars.  

And I've no explanation for the desecration of Silverstone, which has become the "Chicane Of the Year" track.  
This constant butchery also means we cannot compare lap times over more than a few years,  and is even more egregious with F1 since they brag of the speed and handling of their cars yet add chicanes to any straight long enough for the cars to get into high gear so we never get to see that performance of which they boast.

#8 summerski

summerski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted May 08 2020 - 11:48 AM

Funny. I'm doing my first every championship in Pro mode and have just arrived at "Monaco Rocks" and have forgotten what a challenge it is. After several attempts, ok 10-20 attempts, I finally gave up settling for a 15th place and no points. Still one of my favorite tracks. Off to Zandy. Cheers.

#9 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted May 08 2020 - 02:38 PM

That's my luck there;  if I finish the race I consider I've done well.

#10 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted May 08 2020 - 11:30 PM

Monaco is a tough track to master but when you do, it's exhilarating. It can be a race of high attrition, throw in a little rain and the slowest of cars have a good chance of winning the race. I recently watched the 1982 race and I had forgotten what a crazy race that was. Here is the crazy last three laps.  
https://youtu.be/L3_WOtyg9Dw
Monaco is a tradition in F1 and tradition in a world that's constantly changing is a good thing.  :)

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, May 08 2020 - 11:31 PM.

#11 summerski

summerski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted May 12 2020 - 11:50 AM

Wow. Thanks for sharing those last 3 laps. Insane. Cheers.

#12 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted May 12 2020 - 09:05 PM

View Postsummerski, on May 12 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

Wow. Thanks for sharing those last 3 laps. Insane. Cheers.
Cheers :up:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links