ROOKIE4EVER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2019 - 04:12 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 06 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

These are the times I get for a full GP races with nothing done to the AI and set at 1.0. Keep in mind you have 4 hours to set your time.

Kyalami............1.19.76
Mexico.............1.48.40
Monaco...........1.24.55
Monza............ 1.28.47
Mosport..........1.21.20
Nurburg..........8.07.35
Rouen............1.56.42
Silver..............1.28.77
Spa.................3.19.58
Watkins..........1.04.67
Zandvoort.......1.24.01

So a level of -37, approximately, at the rank ?

Ref time at the rank
Kyalami............1.19.76....1:20.861 - 1.10
Mexico.............1.48.40....1:50.478 - 2.08
Monaco.............1.24.55..1:29.326 - 4.78
Monza..............1.28.47...1:30.202 - 1.73
Mosport............1.21.20...1:23.134 - 1.93
Nurburg............8.07.35...8:21.931 -14.58
Rouen..............1.56.42...1:59.277 - 2.86
Silver.............1.28.77......1:30.907 - 2.14
Spa................3.19.58......3:20.342 - 0.76
Watkins............1.04.67....1:06.912 - 2.24
Zandvoort..........1.24.01.. 1:26.848 - 2.84

:wave:

#42 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,706 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Nov 07 2019 - 06:06 PM

Yes, it's harder than just going negative. Like I said though. Those aren't race times, so you don't need to be that fast to win. You do have to have the ability to do long races. At my age that's the hardest part. I get cramped up sometimes. Ok, all the time. :)

#43 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 07 2019 - 11:42 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 07 2019 - 06:06 PM, said:

Yes, it's harder than just going negative. Like I said though. Those aren't race times, so you don't need to be that fast to win. You do have to have the ability to do long races. At my age that's the hardest part. I get cramped up sometimes. Ok, all the time. :)

Lol, in real life I "hung up my helmet" twelve years ago when it became obvious my reflexes and stamina were not what they once were (and when age brings an increasing sense of your own mortality);  but could still go the distance in sim races (I loved four hour GT races in GTR2 ...not to mention real life).  Now my concentration is the issue, particularly in GPL;  a one hour race is about my limit before "brain fade" takes its toll.

#44 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Nov 08 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 07 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

The tires will lose grip if you get them too hot. You can't do hot laps like you can with short races.

The Ferrari is a problem with fuel. I don't use it much. When I do I have to really back off my pace to save fuel which is no fun.

Well it will be interesting to drive 68 laps of Monza on 63 laps of fuel, that's for sure. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and see what happens!

#45 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted Nov 09 2019 - 08:34 AM

View PostPTRACER, on Nov 08 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Well it will be interesting to drive 68 laps of Monza on 63 laps of fuel, that's for sure. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and see what happens!

After you accomplish that. Try 100 laps at Monaco and then 15 laps at Nurburgring in the Lotus with Pro damage. The goal switches from going fast to just staying alive. You'll learn some things about yourself.

All the drivers of those days deserve credit for their courage and talent. Maybe you'll understand why I can't slow down the AI to beat them. Driving from our desk/cockpit is easy compared to doing it for real. I feel I disrespect them by slowing them down for a cheap win. That's me though.

#46 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Nov 09 2019 - 01:29 PM

1 - have time to simrace again
2 - be as fast with RFB and puntataco as I was with LFB
3 - do the full 65-69 championships, full length and realistic damage, as part of the 1950-1982 reenactments(that sadly will need other sims to be completed.

More a wish than an aim, find a historic reenactment league, like GPLCups, that simulate the real thing, full length, not bothering with chassis rules or wanting to win, like the historic mods but with people rather than AI.

anyway, long live GPL and fun!
and thanks SMRZ!

#47 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 06:11 AM

So I'm about to do my first full race. I decided to stream it live. I'm going to practice for a little first. I expect I will probably crash so if the stream is a little short...
https://youtu.be/BQqb9-UoNtw

#48 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 06:28 AM

Picked up the feed just a lap or two before your shunt, PT.  Bad luck but you were going well up til then.

#49 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 08:13 AM

I can offer some advice if you want it?

#50 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 11:15 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 10 2019 - 08:13 AM, said:

I can offer some advice if you want it?

Ok,

But bear in mind, I just spent the rest of the night learning how to edit LP files. Now the AI brake around the same spots as me if not a little earlier and no longer run into the back of me. :up:

#51 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostPTRACER, on Nov 10 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Ok,

But bear in mind, I just spent the rest of the night learning how to edit LP files. Now the AI brake around the same spots as me if not a little earlier and no longer run into the back of me. :up:

That would be awesome. Able to briefly explain how you did it?

#52 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 12:23 PM

PT.. is that a one time global edit? or need to be done for each track (i'm assuming)
maybe post what/how you do this?

#53 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:00 PM

That wasn't going to be my advice. I was going to tell you how to beat Jimmy without slowing down the AI but go ahead and tell others how you did it.

#54 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:37 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 10 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

That wasn't going to be my advice. I was going to tell you how to beat Jimmy without slowing down the AI but go ahead and tell others how you did it.

It isn't about slowing them down, Pete. It's about making it possible to have a decent race with them. I'm a 'brake deep instead of hard' kind of guy, but the AI definitely aren't. I always set the AI to run at a pace where I have to be driving a competitive car, and run at my best pace without making mistakes, to have a chance of winning.

#55 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 01:56 PM

We're all free to set the AI anyway we like them. He could easily beat Jimmy from what I saw. I'm just confused why he was so much faster than a Lotus with the Ferrari on the straights. All I can think of is he didn't have full fuel tanks.

Anyway, in his situation with Jimmy braking so late compared to him but easy to pass on the straights. I would have just followed Jimmy for the whole race until the last turn and passed him on the short straight up to the finish line. It would have kept him safe from being rear ended. There's always the chance Jimmy would have broke down too.

For a full GP race you have to stay out of trouble. Fighting with Jimmy for 2 hours are bad odds.

#56 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostJonnyA, on Nov 10 2019 - 01:37 PM, said:

It isn't about slowing them down, Pete. It's about making it possible to have a decent race with them. I'm a 'brake deep instead of hard' kind of guy, but the AI definitely aren't. I always set the AI to run at a pace where I have to be driving a competitive car, and run at my best pace without making mistakes, to have a chance of winning.
you are absolutly right sometime the braking of the AI is unrealistic .id like very much to learn how to do those change ,theres many AI specially in F2 not because they are too fast but because they are plain wrong  ,a litle tutorial to do those tweek would be more then appreciate ,we could start a new topic

Edited by KARTM, Nov 10 2019 - 05:41 PM.

#57 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostPTRACER, on Nov 10 2019 - 11:15 AM, said:

Ok,

could you share youre knowledge ,please …. :book: how do you edit the AI braking

#58 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Nov 10 2019 - 06:32 PM

I don't want to write a whole tutorial right now since I am at work now...but I used GPL LP-Editor to export "race.lp" to a text file and edited where the braking point starts.

E.g. It will say in the file something like:

[Speed]
2.3540 <---- Accelerating along previous straight
2.3667 <---- Start of braking zone
0.8910 <---- Apex of corner and begin to accelerate again after

etc.

0.0125 = 1mph, so maybe rather than braking at "2.3812" or 190mph, maybe I want the AI to brake from the point they reach "2.3540" / 188mph.

Let's imagine each data point is set 15 metres apart (they are not, but let's just say). Right now they are going from 190mph down to 71mph in 105 metres, which is too short. So if I want to double the braking distance to 200m, for example. I need to start decreasing the number a few data points earlier.

The issue to tackle there is - I need to go from 2.3540 down to 0.8910 across 14 data points now instead of 7, and keep the data series smooth (otherwise = erratic braking). Once achieved, I have successfully doubled by braking distance without screwing the AI on any other race tracks.

--------------------------------------

EDIT: Pete, I don't know why the AI are so slow. I edited the track.ini to get higher top speeds of them, they were topping out at 180mph or less. I'm using Pavel's Monza AI and it might have something to do with it.

Edited by PTRACER, Nov 10 2019 - 08:16 PM.

#59 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted Nov 11 2019 - 05:48 AM

OK . im slowly getting it ,many thanks , i already downloaded the GPL LP-EDITOR but i have downloaded the AIEdit too and  at first sight  the second one look more friendly , theres the position on the track  too  and its possible to edit directly without using txt files

#60 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted Nov 11 2019 - 05:13 PM

The only problem with the visual editor is that I couldn't export any of the files directly to LP.

Plus if I use MS Excel to open the TXT file previously exported I can calculate things more precisely.

I guess the best thing to do would be to just edit the problem files myself and release them for download. Monza and Mexico are the only real bad tracks.

Edited by PTRACER, Nov 11 2019 - 05:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links