#1 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 13 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hi guys. I just got a new wheel (G27) and I don´t know how to enable the Force Feedback on Gem+. I tick the "enable force feedback" in the control section on Gem+ but as I leave (pressing the OK button) it unticks itself. Even if I manege to save it, when I return to check, it is as I never did anything. Any ideas of how to sort out this issue ?

#2 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Feb 13 2015 - 09:27 PM

Try setting it manually in the core configuration file in your GPL folder.  Open it with notepad and make sure it says allow_force_feedback = 1.

#3 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 13 2015 - 10:41 PM

Hi guys
Now I think I messed up everything. Until last night everything was working fine. Today I started Gem+ and it loaded itself alright, but when I tried to launch GPL, it just turned into a black screen and went back to Gem+. I unistalled Gem+ and installed again but still the same thing happened. Now, I can launch F2F3 66 because they are not installed in the same folder like all the other mods. F2F3 66 work fine. All the other mods that I have to lauch with Gem+ don´t start at all. This time I need help badly :bigcry2: :bigcry2:

Edited by chris skepis, Feb 13 2015 - 10:42 PM.

#4 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 13 2015 - 11:13 PM

it also says that it is missing glide and redline dll. where do I get them from ?

#5 G.Spinning

G.Spinning

Gianfranco

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 03:14 AM

On this topic http://srmz.net/inde...=45#entry108796 some important rules regarding re-installation of GEM+ were recalled. For instance the deletion of the gem.ini file from ...documents\gem+   folder too. Did you have a look at it?

#6 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 06:46 AM

If you're new to the G27 you might want to look at a few settings in the Logitech Profiler, go to the Options menu and select Global device Settings. I run:

Overall Effects Strength = 100%
Spring Effect Strength = 0%
Damper Effect Strength = 0% (I had this at it's default value of 100% for a long time and it ruins the feel of GPL's subtle force feedback)

Centering Spring force = unchecked

Report Combined Pedals = unchecked
Degrees of Rotation = 550 degrees ( I run 10:1 steering ration in GPL for all tracks except Monaco 8:1.... should be pretty realistic for these old cars

Allow Game to Adjust Settings = checked

There are more FFB settings to be found in the Core.ini file, I must admit I haven't fiddled with these yet.

#7 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 09:06 AM

The latency setting in core.ini sets the time it takes for a signal to get from the tire patch to the steering wheel...so, kind of important to get it matched up. It very much effects what a user thinks is happening to their car.
Settings around .08 to .12 seem to be in the reasonable range. Paul Thurston once commented on RSC his analysis suggests .125 would be "realistic," but that always seemed too much for me.
Despite its purpose of setting FFB for accurate simulation of suspension effects, many prefer to set latency to zero.

#8 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 09:19 AM

I think Rich forgot to mention the use of the FFB2 patch of brr ;)

Just do what the readme says.

For me the best solution to feel what my front tires are doing :up:

Edited by Cookie, Feb 14 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#9 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 10:08 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Feb 14 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

The latency setting in core.ini sets the time it takes for a signal to get from the tire patch to the steering wheel...so, kind of important to get it matched up. It very much effects what a user thinks is happening to their car.
Settings around .08 to .12 seem to be in the reasonable range. Paul Thurston once commented on RSC his analysis suggests .125 would be "realistic," but that always seemed too much for me.
Despite its purpose of setting FFB for accurate simulation of suspension effects, many prefer to set latency to zero.

.08 to .12 might seem reasonable to you, but if I remember correctly you like to have a driving view that is a bit different to other peoples :) I've a feeling I tried your view settings and it felt like I was sitting on the nose of the car and it was steering the rear wheels :D. I guess it's about experimenting and finding the settings that feel right and make you go faster.

View PostCookie, on Feb 14 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think Rich forgot to mention the use of the FFB2 patch of brr ;)

Just do what the readme says.

For me the best solution to feel what my front tires are doing :up:

Hadn't forgotten, I actually haven't tried it yet :blush:

Have to say I like the way the ffb feels with the standard settings and I'm a bit worried I'll have to re-learn GPL, but will have to give the patch a go and see what I'm missing.

#10 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostFat Rich, on Feb 14 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

Hadn't forgotten, I actually haven't tried it yet :blush:

Have to say I like the way the ffb feels with the standard settings and I'm a bit worried I'll have to re-learn GPL, but will have to give the patch a go and see what I'm missing.

I use it and I wouldn't like to drive without it anymore. Really worth a try. And if it isn't your thing: it's just setting a hook in Gem. ;)

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 11:52 AM

Just checked and have set latency at .0185, so it is unrealistic near the extreme. Guessing sometime back I started out at zero and added some until it felt like it was having a comfortable effect.

My current DFGT core settings are .0185/0/40.

Latency is very tunable if thought of as setting the time it takes for the suspension to react. As I understand it, because it times all suspension components as one unit, it can be used to tweak spring/shock timing so for a user's very unique rig the weight shifts through a turn will seem most real.
Setting it to zero takes all suspension time delay out and abandons all options. But, all other things equal set at zero seems to be worth a few tenths.

Paul T. did an analysis of the time it takes to transmit force from the tire patch through the series of suspension components up to the steering wheel on a real car and came up with an estimate of .125sec. So really wasn't relying so much on my opinion but rather just passing that along. Whenever I set it there, it feels like driving a sponge.

Edited by John Woods, Feb 14 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#12 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 01:12 PM

Thank you G. Spinning. I didn´t know that. I´ll have a look on the topic you pointed out. But the strange thing is the fact that two nights ago it wes working fine, and last night it refuses to recognize the GPL.exe

#13 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 01:20 PM

Thank you G.Spinning. I´ll have a look at it. But the strange thing is the fact that Gem+ can´t find the GPL.exe. Do you think I´ll have to install GPL again?

#14 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 01:29 PM

Thank you guys. I´ll have this sorted out as soon as I sort out the new problems Gem+ is giving to me now. Since last night Gem+ does not find the GPL.exe. I don´t know why. It was working fine the night before and now I can only play the F2F3 66 because they are installed outside the main GPL folder. I really don´t know what to do. I re-installed Gem+ twice last night but it still refuses to work. It shows a message that says "Gem+ cannot find GPL.exe". Maybe I´ll have to re-install GPL from CD and start all over again

#15 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,389 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 02:45 PM

Check to see if you have a GPL.EXE in the GPL folder.

#16 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,389 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 02:46 PM

I've had it occur that the GPL/EXE disappears from the folder.  Check to see it's there.

#17 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 02:57 PM

that´s the thing Bob, It´s not there. I know the GPL.exe is outside the GPL main folder but inside the Sierra folder. But it´s not there

#18 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 03:18 PM

View Postchris skepis, on Feb 14 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

that´s the thing Bob, It´s not there. I know the GPL.exe is outside the GPL main folder but inside the Sierra folder. But it´s not there
WRONG
the gpl.exe is in the main GPL folder!

Just copy it of your 66 install to the other install....

#19 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 03:26 PM

The GPL.exe icon (trophy) is not there and I´ve got to icons that says gplc66 and gplc66c66

#20 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted Feb 14 2015 - 03:37 PM

Maybe quarantined by antivirus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links