Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 20 2010 - 12:46 AM

View Postfpolicardi, on Oct 18 2010 - 04:08 AM, said:

Anyone knows if the Hotfix works with Win XP?
Ciao

Sorry for the delay. According to this it's only Vista/Windows 7: http://forums.amd.co...threadid=140948

#17 Jumi2

Jumi2

Erzkanzler

• Supporter
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Guitars.

Posted Nov 28 2010 - 07:58 AM

So whats the fix for xp? older drivers? Which one is confirmed working? or oglv2? or old rasterisers?
Does the 10.11 driver give still trouble in xp?

Edited by Jumi2, Nov 28 2010 - 07:59 AM.

#18 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted Nov 28 2010 - 08:16 AM

Using 10.11 without problems. Windows 7 here.

#19 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Sep 25 2011 - 03:30 PM

Nothing mentioned in this thread fixed my stuttering with my ATI card. It would be fine for a lap or two, then it would start to stutter and the framerate would drop to 20fps even though 60fps was being reported.

Two things that did fix this however were:

1. Set Vertical Sync to Always On in Catalyst Control Center
2. Make sure Triple Buffering is enabled in CCC, under the OpenGL settings menu.

D3D doesn't work well with GPL and ATI cards.

#20 andpan

andpan

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:my air-cooled 911s, golf, skiing

Posted Jan 07 2012 - 09:19 AM

Had same problems with my new PC with ATI card, but re-installing the PC solved all Problems. Maybe Norton fooled me, not uncommon.
One is for sure, ATI cards prefer OpenGL V2.

Was not only with GPL, also Flight Simulator X did work only with the second installation.

Welcome back in the Stone Age of Computers!

#21 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 29 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostPTRACER, on Sep 25 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

....D3D doesn't work well with GPL and ATI cards.

On two systems (XP with GeForce Ti4200, later ATi X1950Q; and Vista with GeForce 8500GT, now Ati HD5670) I've noticed no performance differences between D3D and OGL.  I have noticed graphic differences, OGL tends to have better color but D3D has better clarity.  But on both systems, with either card, shadows on the track surface are purple with OGL;  I've yet to find a solution to this so use D3D ...where the "vcr" buttons in full screen replay disappear when I press them.

Attached Files

#22 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Aug 17 2014 - 03:58 AM

Just an update to this thread to say that the latest AMD driver 14.4 version seems to cause problems with the OpenGL2 rasteriser in GPL. If you're getting a black screen when switching between the GPL menu and the driving or replay screens but can hear engine sounds and can  use Alt-Control-Delete to launch Task Manager to switch them manually, then you probably need to roll your drivers back.

I'm running OpenGL version 6.14.10.12618 from driver packaging version 13.251-131206a-165817C-ATI with no problems.

Edited by Fat Rich, Aug 17 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#23 Kamei

Kamei

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Old time circuit racing and Classic VW's.

Posted Oct 04 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Aug 17 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

Just an update to this thread to say that the latest AMD driver 14.4 version seems to cause problems with the OpenGL2 rasteriser in GPL. If you're getting a black screen when switching between the GPL menu and the driving or replay screens but can hear engine sounds and can  use Alt-Control-Delete to launch Task Manager to switch them manually, then you probably need to roll your drivers back.

I'm running OpenGL version 6.14.10.12618 from driver packaging version 13.251-131206a-165817C-ATI with no problems.

Same problem here, so thanks for the work around. Had hoped I could just fiddle with the settings but no joy    :thankyou:

#24 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 02 2015 - 06:55 AM

Just to keep this thread up to date, it seems the latest AMD drivers (August 2015) fix the OpenGL problems with GPL :)

#25 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Sep 02 2015 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Rich. Having got it working I have been reluctant to change anything, so it is good to know that I can switch to the latest drivers in case of need by any other software and not kill GPL in the process!

Rob

#26 Rich65

Rich65

Chris Amon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Apr 06 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Aug 17 2014 - 03:58 AM, said:

After giving up long ago of ever getting OpenGLv2 to work with Win7 at 2560x1440 resolution without producing a screen-freeze.............I found this reference from Fat Rich as regards the ATI driver version 6.14.10.12618 and decided to uninstall my much newer ATI driver and to install version 6.14 and just wanted to say thanks so much to FR ............because it worked!
:partytime:

#27 Olaf Lehmann

Olaf Lehmann

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Oct 28 2016 - 09:42 AM

A short story about grafic card drivers and gpl from my side...It seems to match at this place. I hope someone find a solution for equal problem I have had.

I have run gpl from 2008-2014 with my Vista PC/Inter Core2 2.66GHz/NVIDEA Geforce GS9500GS without problems - it means with 60fps and complete pribluda all the time - only at such tracks like SPA67 at the pits maybe 55fps, all other tracks continuos 60fps.
In the later years I was wondering that many people says: "I can't use the 60fps patch. Unfortunately my PC is to old."
In 2015 I make a gpl pause.
In 2016 I came back to gpl. Unexpectedly I had with the same gpl grafic options like before (oglv2) only about 25fps if I was driving (if I stand at the pits I had 60fps). I tried rastd3d7v2 and had all the time only about 45fps. If I had deactivated same pribluda displays I had 5-10fps more, but at no time 60fps.
I was perplex: What the devil  happened during my abstinence 2015?
After two weeks speculation I found the solution: In 2015 I had tested the rFactor2 and GPBikes demo. Both don't run with the old grafic card drivers - because that I have restored it (to version 340.52).
I changed to the old grafic drivers from 2008 (version 180.48) and since than gpl run stable with 60fps like before.

After that adventure I believe, if people say they have to old PCs for the 60fps patch in reality they have to new PCs in the most cases.

Edited by Olaf Lehmann, Oct 28 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#28 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Oct 29 2016 - 03:15 AM

You are absolutely right Olaf!
I have some older AMD GPU's HD5770-6870-7970 and they all run best on older drivers, 14.4 is save and in my case I take the last CCC 15.7.1.

Now I bought an NV GTX960 to run it with Linux mint18 with the proprietary NV drivers.
It runs fine under linux as this driver is made for OpenGL, but in W7 I have a much worse picture using the recent driver.

Maybe someone with a NV GPU of this generation can give me a hint wich driver to use best?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links