#21 Ivo Porč

Ivo Porč

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 19 2010 - 05:44 PM

:wow: Great pic. Thanks for demonstration, miklkit.

When I imagine arms on the steering wheel on photo and remind the cockpit with arms and wheel in game, I would say, that the distance between edges of cockpit and arms is too big in game (not enough tight in top horizontal level), but it's opinion based only on my impression, I'm not able to measure or verify the perspective by any rational (scientific) method, so I can be feel wrong. :(

Edited by Ivo Porč, Feb 19 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#22 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 19 2010 - 06:09 PM

View PostIvo Porč, on Feb 19 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

I would say, that the distance between edges of cockpit and arms is too big in game (not enough tight in top horizontal level), but it's opinion based only on my impression, I'm not able to measure or verify the perspective by any rational (scientific) method, so I can be feel wrong. :(
It certainly looks that way but I think that it is because of the different angles of the shots. The gauges on the left look further apart in the real shot so I think it is probably very close to being the same :idunno: maybe with the steering wheel on the GPL one would give us a better perspective.

Either way it is an excellent comparison, thanks Miklkit. :thumbup:

#23 Ivo Porč

Ivo Porč

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted Feb 19 2010 - 06:20 PM

View PostBurnsy865, on Feb 19 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

... maybe with the steering wheel on the GPL one would give us a better perspective. ...
This type of screenshot is in first post of this thread. ;)

#24 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 19 2010 - 07:42 PM

View PostIvo Porč, on Feb 19 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostBurnsy865, on Feb 19 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

... maybe with the steering wheel on the GPL one would give us a better perspective. ...
This type of screenshot is in first post of this thread. ;)
:oops:  Missed that. It does look less cramped than the real one...........but I'm not complaining because these updates look excellent :yeah:

#25 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 20 2010 - 03:44 AM

I think the shape of the car cockpit is correct but it's rather the very skinny arms that make the bigger cockpit impression. It doesn't have an elbow either so the arm doesn't bend to the outside like it normally would.

:wave: Tommie.

#26 Josef Paul

Josef Paul

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted Feb 21 2010 - 12:38 PM

Many thanks for this! It is so pretty I am tempted to turn off my steering wheel just to enjoy it. It's wonderful to get quality updates for these beautiful cars.

Joe

#27 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Feb 22 2010 - 12:08 PM

Here is a pic of a 1966 Eagle.  Notice how wide the body is and how much it tapers in at the top.  Dan Gurney is a big man and needed a roomy cockpit.

Attached Files

#28 Nurby Yogi

Nurby Yogi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted Feb 22 2010 - 12:45 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Feb 22 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

Here is a pic of a 1966 Eagle.  Notice how wide the body is and how much it tapers in at the top.  Dan Gurney is a big man and needed a roomy cockpit.

Cool picture, thanks miklkit! Posted Image

#29 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Feb 22 2010 - 10:32 PM

This is a painting, but it helps place the driver's head in the car.  

That picture above was taken at Monterrey a couple of years ago.  I forget who took it.  There was a Ferrari there too.

Attached Files

#30 Clutch

Clutch

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted Mar 02 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hi

This update looks fantastic

The problem is, when i install it and overwrite all the files, the speedometer needle is not in the dial, its on its own in the middle of the cockpit. (This isn't an error of this update - its my fault i think)

I've never updated any of the 67 cars, and all the graphics are as per the original GPLPS Installer. When i select the 67 Eagle in GEM, its says 'Gurney Eagle' as opposed to 'Eagle Westlake'. I'm assuming this is why the update doesn't match up.

Could anyone tell me where i'm going wrong, or how to switch from 'Gurney Eagle' to 'Eagle Westlake' in 1967?

Many Thanks in advance  :thumbup:

#31 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Mar 02 2010 - 06:11 PM

Any discussion about the proportions of the cockpit are irrelevant when using default FOV, which totally distorts the image. If you use a realistic FOV you wouldn't actually see much of the cockpit opening anyway!!!

#32 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Mar 03 2010 - 01:55 PM

In GEM, mine says Gurney Eagle and everything is fine.  Did you ever try Rudy's Eagle dash?  It has the tachometer offset.  Other than that, it sounds like a bad download and/or install.

#33 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 11 2010 - 02:48 AM

View PostKen, on Mar 02 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

Any discussion about the proportions of the cockpit are irrelevant when using default FOV, which totally distorts the image. If you use a realistic FOV you wouldn't actually see much of the cockpit opening anyway!!!

Then how is that ever a realistic POV? :P

#34 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 11 2010 - 02:58 AM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 11 2010 - 02:48 AM, said:

The FOV is realistic but using a small monitor is not :D Using a projector and sitting quite close to the screen would make a large FOV realistic.

#35 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 11 2010 - 01:02 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Mar 11 2010 - 02:48 AM, said:

????

I'm sure if you sit in a real race car cockpit and look straight ahead you will not see the cockpit opening. You will be sitting in the opening, but unless you look down you won't see it, and in GPL we can't look down. ;)

#36 Ivo Porč

Ivo Porč

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 05:06 AM

Notice how wide the body is and how much it tapers in at the top.  Dan Gurney is a big man and needed a roomy cockpit.
This directly the point, which I mean, I miss the impression of tapering in the eagle's cockpits while driving.

Can help this? (I'm adding ingame point of view, which I use from this cockpit).

Attached Files

Edited by Ivo Porč, Mar 22 2010 - 06:06 AM.

#37 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 01:32 PM

View PostIvo Porč, on Mar 22 2010 - 05:06 AM, said:

Notice how wide the body is and how much it tapers in at the top.  Dan Gurney is a big man and needed a roomy cockpit.
This directly the point, which I mean, I miss the impression of tapering in the eagle's cockpits while driving.

Can help this? (I'm adding ingame point of view, which I use from this cockpit).

But would a real life view not look more like this???

Attached Files

#38 Akseli - guest

Akseli - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 01:37 PM

It would. They dont have a mirror in the air and live telemetry

Edited by Akseli, Mar 22 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#39 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 02:10 PM

View PostKen, on Mar 22 2010 - 01:32 PM, said:

But would a real life view not look more like this???

Now why on earth would you think that? A natural FOV is way larger than that of course. Peripheral vision is quite important for the sense of speed and direction, a.k.a. situational awareness.
What your screen is showing is merely the focus of a driver looking straight ahead.

I don't even know how you would go about negotiating La Source or Station hairpin driving like that! Guesswork?

Edited by Remco Hitman, Mar 22 2010 - 02:13 PM.

#40 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Mar 22 2010 - 02:43 PM

Most people drive with a severly limited "viewport" defined by a single monitor. To compensate for this, a wider FOV than would normally fit the viewport can be used. This squeezes more of the scene onto the screen, but distorts the view. Some people, like Ken and me, bite the bullet and stay with the natural FOV. I do this simply because I found it more comfortable after testing both options. It is easier for me to drive a good (or a less bad) line, even though in tight corners I can't see the apex. With a wide FOV, corners look less sharp than they really are and I have not been able to adjust to this, at least judging from laptimes. Neither option is inherently better than the other, since both have limitations. Ideally the display device (several monitors or a projector screen) would cover enough of the field of vision that a large FOV would not distort the view. The larger the display, the less need for a compromise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links