#181 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 03 2019 - 04:03 PM

Just ran a test championship consisting of two races to see how it's done.  Very easy to set up a series of races and have up to 19 or so AI drivers.  :)

Unlike GPL, it doesn't appear possible to have different drivers and their cars at different races.  I'm may be missing something here, but that means you can't build a historically correct grid for each race in a championship season.  :(

Also tried the light version of Content Manager which is GEM+ on steroids.  Very nice program indeed.  However, you can't edit a championship season with the light version so I can't comment on how well it works for changing each AI driver's capability or if you can have different drivers in each race in a championship.

Have been watching the AI race a bit too and don't see anything major wrong with them although they seem to run off track a lot.  I know we've all complained at times about how bad GPL's AI can be, but overall, I think GPL's AI is as good as AC's.  That's pretty amazing for a 20 year old sim.  :)

#182 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:Simracing, and snooker for some reason.
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 04:40 AM

I'm intent on creating AI for all the '67 tracks. Zandvoort is done, currently working on Spa66. Quite a task to find middle ground between feisty and T1 mayhem. Papy did a fantastic job in 1998!

#183 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 04:45 AM

As for individual AI strength, I'm also not sure yet how well they can be tweaked across a season. For now I'm quite content dragging them up/down in the quick race opponents menu to fill the grid in a believable fashion.

#184 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for testing the AI and I'm interested in hearing your results.

Of course, one of GPL's nice features is the ability to create championships with historically correct grids for each race.  It appears that AC can create championships, but I'm unsure if it can make each race have the correct number of drivers.

Assuming it can, I believe you're saying that the full version of Content Manager can then adjust each AI driver's strength and aggression values.

I also wonder how AC's strength and aggression values work.  GPL, of course, has hype, experience, alertness, .etc values for each AI driver.  More values aren't necessarily better, but perhaps allows better fine tuning.  Also, how does the race global strength and aggression values affect the individual AI driver's strength and aggression values?

#185 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,636 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 08:58 AM

I have to thank you Lee and Remco for your effort. I'm not sure you can come up with a believable Championship but at least you're trying.

#186 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 09:13 AM

Hello guys

Is there some experience of online races with this mod? What about hosting races for AC?

Marcos

#187 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 09:41 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jan 05 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

I have to thank you Lee and Remco for your effort. I'm not sure you can come up with a believable Championship but at least you're trying.

You're welcome Pete.  I'm a die hard GPLer of course, but I'd heard so much about AC that I had to try it out for $20.  It really is a nice sim.

If we could combine its graphics with GPL features, then we'd have the best of both worlds.  Maybe Remco can figure out how to make AC handle a championship season?

#188 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 09:55 AM

Lee..............As you know the AI racers are a much larger group than online racers. So, a Championship for AC would really be appreciated. Hopefully, they come up with a better name than GPL.

#189 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted Jan 10 2019 - 03:40 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Dec 09 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

I cannot enter the track with the Lotus 33. Does somebody else have the same problem?

Cheers, Marcos.

Figured it out, you need Dream Pack 3 which includes the Lotus 25. The 33 borrows files from that.

#190 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Mar 01 2019 - 06:03 AM

Personally I both appreciate and don't appreciate this AC mod, the reasons are quite simple:

1. Using the GPL name is honestly a bullshit move, but it can have the positive side-effect of making this game known to more and more people, like it used to be.
2. Some cars are well-modeled, but I have to smack the modeler for making the BT20 and 312/67: those cars are AWFUL. Don't even resemble the real counterparts at all, not even with eyes squinted.
3. Dynamics are still wrong in some ways, although Bazza did an egregious job in trying to put a rather large smack of cement on the gaping holes AC code has. Doesn't behave like a crackhead (as Kunos's 49) but still isn't close to GPL. Still misses some detail.
4. Whoever had the great idea of taking a Lotus 25, slapping on it some wider tyres and calling it a 33 should be shot. On sight. I get it's an evolution, but the 33 had quite a lot of refinements over the 25, from the R7 onwards they are clearly not even close to each other even in aesthetics. ::crap:: like this hurts me.

Sorry for being so caustic, but if you have to take the "GPL" name, well... at the very least model the cars right. Like the chap that made the 312/67 in RF2 (That car's fabulous).

#191 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted Mar 01 2019 - 10:33 AM

The Ferrari in the mod is an AC car you buy.

I was going to try the mod again and was trying to find all the tracks. Half the links are dead for the tracks in the mod readme. They need to fix that.

#192 4ph3x

4ph3x

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 01 2019 - 02:55 PM

Regarding the BT24, I believe that's a laserscan model from the real car :) I think the modders tried to honor GPL with this mod, not disrespect it...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 4ph3x, Mar 01 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#193 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Mainly V12s

Posted Mar 01 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostLord, on Mar 01 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

Sorry for being so caustic, but if you have to take the "GPL" name, well... at the very least model the cars right. Like the chap that made the 312/67 in RF2 (That car's fabulous).

This is what you define fabulous? My modelling skills go as far as modelling a tea cup, but this is not a work of art by any means

Attached File  Ferrari312Rainlight.jpg   227.25K   58 downloads

Edited by leon_90, Mar 01 2019 - 04:54 PM.

#194 4ph3x

4ph3x

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 02 2019 - 05:19 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Mar 01 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

The Ferrari in the mod is an AC car you buy.

I was going to try the mod again and was trying to find all the tracks. Half the links are dead for the tracks in the mod readme. They need to fix that.

Here's a mediafire folder containing all reboot tracks. Kyalami, Monaco 66, Spa 66, Österreich 72 are all a blast, especially in VR. You might also want to get the Sergio Loro tracks for the proper 60's atmosphere :)

https://www.mediafir...r/n44067r1axxbo

#195 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Mar 06 2019 - 02:58 PM

View Post4ph3x, on Mar 01 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

Regarding the BT24, I believe that's a laserscan model from the real car :) I think the modders tried to honor GPL with this mod, not disrespect it...

To be honest, I remeber that car to be quite different: in the mod it hasn't got the right curves and proportions, from some angles looks like a cheese grater. A bit more time in refining those and we could be speaking of it in whole different terms.
In a way, reminds me of a lazy (as in "without researching for real photos") attempt in trying to convey the "petiteness" of that car. That was everything but little, slightly smaller than the rest, but not in a way more akin to a Morris Cooper.

Posted Image

View Postleon_90, on Mar 01 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

This is what you define fabulous? My modelling skills go as far as modelling a tea cup, but this is not a work of art by any means
Attachment Ferrari312Rainlight.jpg

Well, for sure it's better than this... this... ::crap::, I don't have any words to describe it that go deeper than "I want to gouge my eyes out". Seriously, was that too much of Kunos to ask the same car Slightly Mad used for Ferrari Racing Legends?

http://farm5.staticf...6b0cd1e8d_o.jpg

Seriously, it's not even close to the car Papy made in '98! AND THAT WAS A BIG BLOCK WITH WHEELS!

Edited by Lord, Mar 06 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#196 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Mar 07 2019 - 05:56 AM

4ph3x, on Mar 02 2019 - 05:19 AM, said:

Here's a mediafire folder containing all reboot tracks. Kyalami, Monaco 66, Spa 66, Österreich 72 are all a blast, especially in VR. You might also want to get the Sergio Loro tracks for the proper 60's atmosphere :)

https://www.mediafir...r/n44067r1axxbo

Thanks for putting this up 4ph3x. However, I`m not able to download any tracks in this folder without being asked to upgrade to Pro. I have an account and have logged in but still getting the same. :(

#197 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Mar 07 2019 - 08:46 AM

"... asked to upgrade to Pro"

Same here.

#198 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Football

Posted Mar 07 2019 - 09:14 AM

clic on track name, a new page will open with the track separately, you'll then be able to download :)

#199 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Mar 07 2019 - 10:28 AM

You need Pro to download more than 1 file at a time. Each track is in a sub folder with 2 files, the track itself and a text file. So clicking at the higher level tries to download a folder of 2 files.

So do as Remy says, drill down and you can download the individual files.

#200 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Mar 07 2019 - 03:47 PM

Remy, on Mar 07 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

clic on track name, a new page will open with the track separately, you'll then be able to download :)

webfoot, on Mar 07 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

You need Pro to download more than 1 file at a time. Each track is in a sub folder with 2 files, the track itself and a text file. So clicking at the higher level tries to download a folder of 2 files.

So do as Remy says, drill down and you can download the individual files.

Ahh, of course! I should have known that really :hithead:  

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links