John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 10:23 AM

Found this in the box set Grand Prix Legends manual, in the Multiplayer Racing section, page 41 of the Racing Companion, regarding hosting races...

You can enter numeric (#.#.#.#) or symbolic (fred.harry.net) host names. If you enter a symbolic name, it may take several seconds for the machine to translate the name. If it cannot, an error message will appear on the screen.

Okay, this was back when all things on-line were thru dial-up connections.

Wondering if the numeric versus symbolic name translation issue is perhaps contributing to connection issues on VROC and iGOR with names such as WILLOW, GPL_BRASIL, Mybroga_X, HaulsX, and UKGPL10_60fps?

Maybe?
Maybe worth a shot to test?
How to test?
No longer an issue?

:D

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 10:43 AM

you know where to test JW :D
then let us know!

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 11:56 AM

The hardware of the internet always uses numeric IP addresses. Symbolic IP addresses were invented purely for the convenience of us humans, and they need to be translated to their equivalent numeric values before they can be used to navigate to a location on the web. The translation of symbolic web addresses to numeric is handled by your DNS server. Everybody has one, but the exact server you're connected to can vary. All DNS servers contain a copy of the same "phone book" which translates a symbolic address to a numeric address. Most ISP companies have their own DNS server, but there are also public DNS servers (for example Google) which anyone can join. If you want, you can delve into your router settings and switch DNS servers at any time, and it shouldn't affect your access to the internet. Occasionally, DNS servers run by smaller companies can be a little unreliable, so switching to a more reliable DNS server can be beneficial in some cases.

As I don't often race online, I'm not familiar with any current connection problems with IGOR or VROC. Generally, if you can connect easily to an online site using a numeric IP address, but have problems using a symbolic name for the same site, then that would normally indicate a problem with the DNS system, and switching DNS servers might help. On the other hand, if you can initially connect easily using either a numeric or symbolic address, and you have problems with disconnections later, then that would indicate that the problem isn't with the DNS system, and you need to look elsewhere for a fix.

I hope that might help.

#4 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,607 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 12:07 PM

Saiph..........I've read your posts for years and you come up with answers that impress me. You know things beyond the average gamer. What do you do for a living?

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Saiph, for scope and insight.
You would be welcome anytime on the Willow server...big fun sometimes.
An honor for sure to share a few laps with you.

Is it unusual, or fairly common, to lose one or more league member entrants who are unable to connect to the grid during the several short digitally frantic seconds prior to a race?

Sure there are some, perhaps many, who have not at all enjoyed that experience.

Where to test would be on a server with lots of attempts at logging on at close to the same time, similar to what happens when a league race is held and then, with no historic baseline, over several races to yield sufficient information to form an opinion.

No idea how to test except use a number instead of a symbol and seems the most appropriate number would be the server address?

Address numbers could be entered in the Server Name field and host names could be entered in Comments?
Leave it like that over several races to determine significance of the change?

Have to guess that race server and on-line experts have already determined concern about the numeric vs symbolic warning is of no consequence?

What about user names? Should they be numeric as well?

R/L racers get their own number...
:D

Edited by John Woods, Mar 14 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#6 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 04:34 PM

Hi!

It's not directly related with it... but does somebody know why the server UKGPL10 figures in igor as it was leaving the 20 slots empty?
It says 0/20 drivers instead of 1/20...

Thanks. Marcos

Edit: Forget it... now it says 1/20 :)

Edited by mcmirande, Mar 14 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 14 2019 - 09:39 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Mar 14 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

Saiph..........I've read your posts for years and you come up with answers that impress me. You know things beyond the average gamer. What do you do for a living?

Thanks Pete. Over the years I've done just about every job in IT, but the last official job title I had was Software Quality Assurance Test Engineer. That's why I have a nose for finding, and occasionally solving, problems, and explaining to "users" (non-techy people) how to fix things. I'm basically not working at the moment (at least not for a company) as I had problems with pressure from my last employer (McAfee) which wasn't good for my health. I'm living on my savings and my wits (!) and doing odd computer jobs locally: PC upgrades (RAM, graphics cards etc), fault fixing, wifi, networks, broadband, security and privacy issues etc. I'm enjoying life again living at my own pace, and not being pushed by the relentless profiteering of capitalism. :) It's not a rich life, but I'm not a materialistic person. Drinking a slow pint and listening to good local musicians playing good-quality, meaningful songs is a relatively cheap but very enjoyable pastime.

View PostJohn Woods, on Mar 14 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

No idea how to test except use a number instead of a symbol and seems the most appropriate number would be the server address?
Address numbers could be entered in the Server Name field and host names could be entered in Comments?

John, the best way to test if DNS is involved with IGOR and VROC disconnections would be to do the following:

(1) First, you need to find the numeric IP address of the server you're logging on to. The easiest way to do this is to open up a command line, and use the 'ping' command. Just type in:

ping NamePart1.NamePart2.NamePart3  (where "NamePart1...." etc is the name of the race server you're trying to use),

and press the 'enter' key. The first thing you should see is a message saying that the ping command is working, and showing the numeric IP address that it's using. For example, when I ping the BBC ("bbc.co.uk"), I see a reply saying:

"Pinging bbc.co.uk [151.101.192.81] with 32 bytes of data:"

So I know that the IP address of the server is "151.101.192.81". Make a note of the number you get for your race server.

(2) Now go in to GPL, and see if you can use the settings screen to start (or join) a network session using the numeric IP address, rather than the symbolic name. Hopefully you'll be able to log in, and once the session starts, you'll be able to go through all the usual steps of practice etc. Keep playing, and see if you notice any difference in the reliability of your connection. If you can play more reliably using the numeric IP address, then it sounds like the problem might be connected to the DNS system. If you still get disconnected just as often, then the problem is more likely to be somewhere else, not DNS.

From what you stated in your last post ("...unable to connect to the grid during the several short digitally frantic seconds prior to a race"), I don't think that it's a DNS problem. DNS is used when you first connect to a server. By the time you've been through practice and are getting ready to start the race, you've been connected for some time, so DNS isn't being used at that point.

Edited by Saiph, Mar 14 2019 - 09:46 PM.

#8 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 15 2019 - 03:35 AM

Could it be due to packet loss?

Lots and lots of modems / routers use intel puma chipsets that are not fit for purpose:
http://badmodems.com/

If you have the intel puma 6 or 7 chipset especially!

This affects all virgin media customers in the uk with superhub 3. If you have superhub 2 ac then you have puma 5 which is less affected by the issue but by all means isn't great but still doesn't have this particular issue (just others).
The problem here is that virgin do not let you use your own cable modem. And they rolled out the router when they knew it had these issues.
Sadly it is a hardware fault that cannot be fixed but only masked (they have deliberately hidden the issue from ping protocols to make it less detectable).

https://www.youtube....h?v=HtxXaZrcB58

https://www.youtube....h?v=kEeYEM3M3KA

#9 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Mar 15 2019 - 06:07 AM

Marcos the 0/20 driver shown in igor are related to the linux OS used.
I have this too sometimes. It does happen at random and can't be reproduced.
I use Linux mint and Dave uses manjaro.

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Mar 15 2019 - 06:21 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Mar 14 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

Is it unusual, or fairly common, to lose one or more league member entrants who are unable to connect to the grid during the several short digitally frantic seconds prior to a race?

Sure there are some, perhaps many, who have not at all enjoyed that experience.

IMO this has to do with the clients GPU, it is the moment when the clients graphics switch from 2D to 3D.
It gives a big peak in GPU and CPU graphs at my OpenHardwareMonitor plot.

#11 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted Mar 15 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostCookie, on Mar 15 2019 - 06:07 AM, said:

Marcos the 0/20 driver shown in igor are related to the linux OS used.
I have this too sometimes. It does happen at random and can't be reproduced.
I use Linux mint and Dave uses manjaro.

Thanks Axel!

I was happy because I thought somebody had discovered a way to leave the 20 slot available for real drivers :)

Cheers

#12 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,913 posts

Posted Mar 15 2019 - 09:29 AM

View PostCookie, on Mar 15 2019 - 06:21 AM, said:

IMO this has to do with the clients GPU, it is the moment when the clients graphics switch from 2D to 3D.
It gives a big peak in GPU and CPU graphs at my OpenHardwareMonitor plot.

I think this might be a good candidate for the cause of the disconnections. If the graphics driver 'hogs' the client machine for too long as it's setting up 3D models, textures etc for the track, then that could cause the network connection to get out of sync, and that in turn would cause the server to drop the client machine.

Edit: Since I wrote the above, I've been thinking about it a bit more, and there might be something else involved. When GPL switches from practice to race mode and starts setting up the grid, I think the server sends details of each car in the race to all the client machines, including their grid position, so that all the players can see an accurate rendition of the grid. This means that there would be a lot of data being sent over the network at that point. If there were any packet loss problems as described above by one2fwee, then this would tend to have a bigger effect when the network is under load, and this might explain why some players are kicked out when the grid is forming.

This is definitely a tough problem, with a number of possible causes. I'm scratching my head so hard that I'm starting to get wood splinters in my fingers! :crazy: :lol:

Edited by Saiph, Mar 15 2019 - 09:46 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: online, on-line, connection, server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links