- - - - -

How To Slow Down The Ai Without Otherwise Changing Ai Behavior, At Default Refresh Rate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 prize

prize

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:GPL add-on tracks and mods
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 09:10 AM

I want to introduce a new driver to GPL.  What's the best way to slow down the AI such that someone new to GPL, and really slow, can compete?

I just want to slow down the AI, not otherwise change it's behavior.  I'm using the default refresh rate, not 60 Hz.

Is the best way to set AI speed in GEM+?  If so, what number should I enter for the GEM+ AI speed to slow down the AI as much as possible?  Should I set the AI speed to driver speed under GEM+ config?  Should I do both?

Is there something I can set directly in the config files that would be better?  Thanks!

#2 prize

prize

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 09:21 AM

One other point - is it a good idea to use the 781 AI speed control patch V2?  That patch does seem to prevent the AI from flying around corners.

#3 prize

prize

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 09:25 AM

One other thing - I did look at the AI tutorials posted earlier, but these seem to be written for mod developers rather than a regular user who just wants to change a config setting or two.

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 09:51 AM

Inside each track.ini file, (in each track folder), is a line titled "dlong_speed_adj_coeff" with a number which when lowered will reduce the top speed of the lead cars slightly and the rest of the Ai field will adjust.

Typically it is a good idea to reduce incrementally by tenths as .98 will sometimes make a big drop in speed.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Jun 03 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#5 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 10:48 AM

You can set the AI speed in GEM, but if I remember correctly you have to raise that number to make them slower.  Default should be 1, so to make them slower you have the raise the number by small increments. If you are really new you could try a value like 1,10 or so and raise or lower it from there accordingly.

I've always just used that number without any patches to adjust AI speed, so it should work for most mods and tracks. I've never noticed the AI cars flying around the corners, but that's probably because their behavior doesn't make much sense a lot of times anyway. It's a 20 year old game after all. ;)

Edited by Millennium, Jun 03 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#6 prize

prize

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Jun 03 2019 - 09:51 AM, said:

Inside each track.ini file, (in each track folder), is a line titled "dlong_speed_adj_coeff" with a number which when lowered will reduce the top speed of the lead cars slightly and the rest of the Ai field will adjust.

Typically it is a good idea to reduce incrementally by tenths as .98 will sometimes make a big drop in speed.

I tried reducing dlong_speed_adj_coeff for Watkins Glen from 1.024 to .98, and then to 0.8.  If there is any effect on speed at all, it appears to be a small effect. When I changing dlong_speed_adj_coeff from 1.024 to .8 the winner's fastest laptime increased by 1 second, which may be just random variation.

#7 prize

prize

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostMillennium, on Jun 03 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

You can set the AI speed in GEM, but if I remember correctly you have to raise that number to make them slower.  Default should be 1, so to make them slower you have the raise the number by small increments. If you are really new you could try a value like 1,10 or so and raise or lower it from there accordingly.

I've always just used that number without any patches to adjust AI speed, so it should work for most mods and tracks. I've never noticed the AI cars flying around the corners, but that's probably because their behavior doesn't make much sense a lot of times anyway. It's a 20 year old game after all. ;)

In my test, the GEM+ AI speed doesn't effect the AI winner's fastest lap time.  I checked that GEM+ wrote the AI speed I entered into the gpl_ai.ini ntp_override variable.

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,570 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 02:19 PM

I thought that you couldn't change the ai speed for original 67 in gem 🤔 Only works for the mods in gem like 65 69 55 etc 🤔

John's method should work.

Or maybe try Alison Hines AI tweaks 🤔 Go to download section on left.

http://alison.hine.net/gpl/

TP: 🏁

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 03 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#9 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,585 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 02:23 PM

Sorry I am the worst expert on GEM-plus, so have no idea what it does or is doing.

Surprised you find no effect at point-8.
Try point-6.
Seems I recall the highest you can go is maybe 1.7?
:)

In the track.ini file under [GP] there are only two variables that control AI speed.
Try reducing the other one...slightly.

Lee's AI Tutorial explains in detail how a GPL user can make adjustments.
It seems complex at first to set up for convenient use, then it is easy enough.

TP - just to make sure, re-read Alison's Eaglewoman notes this morning. Still a very good place to visit.

CU On-line

Edited by John Woods, Jun 03 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#10 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 02:27 PM

Read this:

http://gplmotorworks...ype-System.html

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,585 posts

Posted Jun 03 2019 - 03:06 PM

Let your friend drive one of the trainers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links