OkieSimRacer

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:History, motorsports, sim racing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 11:25 AM

Hi everybody! My name is Aaron and I am completely new to sim racing. I literally just stumbled on to Grand Prix Legends the other day, reading this article from 2005 about the game. I've been poking around SRMZ, and I am amazed by your community's passion and dedication. It is really amazing! I'd like to get started, but I have no idea how. In 2019, what is the best way to acquire a copy of the game? Are there any plans to publish an anniversary edition of the game, with all the mods and improvements included? What kind of hardware do I need to run the game well? I'm assuming I don't need a high-end PC, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting more involved with the GPL community!

Sincerely,
Aaron (OkieSimRacer)

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 11:40 AM

hey Aaron ~
ohhh the joy of being new to this sim :)   i have been racing w/ it since the original demo came out :o  in '97-98... and its progressed by TONS since.
new mods, now over 500 tracks.... it truly is amazing!   and to my knowledge, unlike some sims, no one charges for their work!!

i will keep this short, as other with better handle on some of your questions will reply today, or by the weekend.
no anniversery edition as the orig publisher has long gone away. the people now doing iRacing ($$) were the core of GPL.

any modern hardware will handle GPL, but if you plan to race online (vs Humans) my opinion is cable - wifi is somewhat iffy - others may say different.
there used to be OPEN races.. but now, most serious sim racers are in leagues.

others will point you in that direction, but get some 500 laps in on a diversity of tracks before jumping in, else you might be shocked at the quality you contend with ;)
example: i was in a league that raced full distance .. so Monaco was 100 laps... by the time it was finished, i had been lapped 12 times :P

there is a variety of leagues, running different days/times/rules...
again, i don't have the links at hand, but someone will reply, or i'll find the 'super' link and come back!

welcome to the addiction!

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 01:10 PM

Welcome to our addiction.

Type in Grand Prix Legends CD on ebay and you'll get some choices. Once you have the CD we'll tell you how to get it all installed and up to date.

#4 Keyser Zose

Keyser Zose

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 01:29 PM

Welcome to the show Okie!

While youre waiting for your gpl copy to arrive you can enjoy some gpl races at our youtube channel.

https://www.youtube....YKawNIJDdVCzaGQ

This is one awsome sim , you are in for a real challenge and treat. Best of luck to you.

#5 Spadowski

Spadowski

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 02:13 PM

Welcome!!! I just came back after a long hiatus away so it's like being new again. It's wonderful:)

#6 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:all kinds of racing games
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Apr 11 2019 - 05:17 PM

Hello and welcome!

GPL is a legendary sim for sure, but before trying to buy or find a copy, I'd suggest start with GPL demo instead (also since you are new to sim-racing, may be picking up a modern sim title is a better way to enjoy the genre).

There is a GPL demo guide in preparation but hasn't released yet. Since the guide is pretty much complete I think it will be useful to drop the guide here for you and others as reference.

============================
Credits: The guide was written by me with a lot info and help from Stefan Roess and other GPL community members, thanks to all the help and effort.

(consider this as a draft)

GPL DEMO & Everything you need to know
-----------------------
Introduction

GPL DEMO is one of the best way to start your journey with GPL. It costs nothing and is feature complete, even with updates that otherwise tricky for new players to set up.
It is important to know that there are several different versions of GPL DEMO available on internet (and probably more versions out there or lost). And this guide will explain to you the differences between various versions and how to make them work for you.
Of course you can skip the differences section, and start reading the third section and onward.

Note: if you already own a CD version, please read "Easy Installation Guide" instead. ( http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html )

-----------------------
1. Essential differences between CD version and DEMOs

CD version: Has Everything, includes all 11 tracks, all 7 cars, all video footage.
Official English DEMO: Includes Watkins Glen track (missing other 10 tracks), all 7 cars. No video footage. (Version number 1.0.0.0)
Official Spanish DEMO: Includes Monza track (missing other 10 tracks), 3 cars, incomplete season files. No video footage. (Version number 0.0.0.5, please avoid this version)
GPL 2004 DEMO: Includes Watkins Glen track (missing other 10 tracks), all 7 cars. No video footage. (Version number 1.2.0.2)

As you can see, GPL DEMO really is no difference other than a few tracks and irrelevant videos.
In another word, a GPL DEMO can be turned into a full version by copy 10 missing tracks into the DEMO.
This also means nearly all third-party patches & addons & Mods can be applied and installed on DEMO, and this is why we recommended to start with GPL DEMO.

-----------------------
2. GPL 2004 DEMO & Comparison

GPL 2004 DEMO is the result of hard work from GPLEA modding team and various modders who pieced all of their car/track updates together with latest official patches and other community patches.
It includes all GPLEA's car updates from 2004 and early, as well as Colin Whidden's Watkins Glen track textures update and Ducwolf's soundset, etc. Thus it is highly recommended to use this version of DEMO as a base.

KEY differences between GPL 2004 DEMO and a fully patched CD version:

GPL 2004 DEMO:
Patched with latest official patch version 1.2.0.2
Patched with Nigel Pattinson's Carsound
DOES NOT include newer 3D rasterisers (can be troublesome)

Fully patched GPL via GPLPS GPL Installer or GPL All-In-One Patch V2:
Patched with latest official patch version 1.2.0.2
Patched with Nigel Pattinson's Carsound.
Patched with Nigel Pattinson's Rasterisers v2.5  (Direct3D7v2 & OpenGLv2, they are essential for modern PC)
Includes 67 Patch v1.3 / GPL 1.3 Community Patch for GEM+.

As you can see, all that GPL 2004 DEMO needs is Nigel Pattinson's Rasterisers v2.5 patch and 67 Patch v1.3.

-----------------------
3. Install and Patch GPL 2004 DEMO

a ) You need to download and install the DEMO, you can get it from: http://www.gamershel...load_6101.shtml or here http://srmz.net/inde...2434#entry16635
If you have downloaded the DEMO elsewhere, or not sure if the file [gpl_2004_demo.exe] is legit, you can check its MD5 hash with any MD5 checher.
MD5 for [gpl_2004_demo.exe] : 9FC0ABF47838A3D501386D58CFFDA39E
MD5 for GPL 2004 DEMO's [gpl.exe] : B63573B8EA3658F2D5064D81028913B0

b ) Download Nigel Pattinson's Rasterisers v2.5 (gplrast_v2.5.rar) from: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3727
Then unzip and run gplrast_v2.5.exe, pointing install location to your 2004 demo folder.

c ) Go to your 2004 demo folder and find App.ini, then open it with Notepad, change rd3d7v2.dll to roglv2.dll and save.
(This step is optional, it changes 3D Rasteriser that game will use. If you encounter graphic problem, you can try change to a different Rasteriser.)

Finally, for further patch & mods installation, as well as game configuration guide,
Please read "Easy Installation Guide" ( http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html ), begin with section "1.2. GPLSecrets (GEM+, iGOR, GPL Setup Manager)".

Important note: you will need to install "1967 Update Patch for GPL (67 Patch v1.3 / GPL 1.3 Community Patch)" as it is mentioned in "1.2. GPLSecrets" section.

-----------------------
4. Bonus: How to patch official English DEMO or CD version manually.

a ) Obtain an official English DEMO or CD version somewhere and somehow install it.

b ) Download GPL All-In-One Patch V2 from ( http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=2621 ), run the installer and point GPL location to your game folder. (DON'T RESTART COMPUTER when the installer asks)

c ) Download Nigel Pattinson's Rasterisers v2.5 (gplrast_v2.5.rar) from: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=3727
Then unzip and run gplrast_v2.5.exe, pointing install location to your game folder.

Last, read "Easy Installation Guide" for further info (same as section 3).

Edited by SV3000, Apr 11 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#7 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Apr 12 2019 - 01:31 AM

Welcome to GPL, Aaron

#8 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 12 2019 - 04:07 AM

IMO the easiest way to start with is Jacksellers "GPL_DEMO_2013_F1Legends" it contains everything you need.

But it is in french...

get it here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/h3a47q

Edited by Cookie, Apr 12 2019 - 05:03 AM.

#9 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,582 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 12 2019 - 06:17 AM

Hi Okie! Howdy Howdy!

Welcome to Grand Prix Legends and SRMZ!

This advice is not without alternative opinions...

1. Install the 2004 Demo following SV3000's instructions, (nice work SV). The Demo should install and work no problem on any Win system since 2004 and before except maybe Win8/8.1).

1A. And also install, as Cookie notes, the 2013 Jackseller Demo, which when driving on a French track is probably the more appropriate immersive choice.

2. Once configured and you can get on track, hop in the 67 Lotus and warp your brain with it until you can drive in the middle of the track all the way around no matter what speed even if really really slow. Then try all the other cars, all of which are easier to handle.
  a. Driving the Lotus first lets you know how far you need to go, sort of like jumping in the pool to learn how to swim.
  b. Pick a car you like, feel good about, and start learning.

3. Biggest in car hint for newbie - play the throttle to make the engine sound like you think race cars sound when racing, or like what a high performance car or bike sounds like when racing.

4. Download the Skid Fun track, the most recent and amazing skid pad in the virtual world, (probably).

5. Go here: http://www.gpllinks.org

6. Go back to step #1 and install GEM+/iGOR. This will place an iGOR and VROC racelist icon on your desktop. Then, or before, read this invitation to join other drivers on the IGOR WIllow practice and training server, which is not affiliated with any league directly and which welcomes any driver to share the road 24/7.

a. Do this as soon as you feel comfortable with your capability, but please don't hesitate. Real racers learned to drive by getting on track with others. There is no 107% rule on the Willow server.
  b. Some of us have been known to crash several times per lap there, so don't worry about that. Everyone has good days and bad days on track.
  c. The Willow server is running off a 2004 Demo install btw.

7. Ask for help. Trust no one. Be your own expert. Winners have no competition.

And Good Morning
:D

Edited by John Woods, May 03 2019 - 07:29 AM.

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts

Posted Apr 12 2019 - 07:25 AM

He should be completely confused now.

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,582 posts

Posted Apr 12 2019 - 07:50 AM

There are lots of options.

Learning to drive a virtual race car with reasonable capability, (for instance, within 107% of a given pole time or achieving Negative status on GPLRank), is only one of a whole boatload of Grand Prix Legends opportunities.

There are well over 500 tracks, so way over a year's worth just to check each of them out for a day or so.
Amazing what has been accomplished.

8. Start building a collection of tracks, find tracks you like, drive them, enjoy the ride, learn by coincidence.

Anyone is welcome to bring their talents and enthusiasm to whatever aspect of Grand Prix Legends rewards their interest.

9. Back everything up.

10. Get the GPL Manuals

Just having fun

Edited by John Woods, Apr 12 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#12 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 12 2019 - 03:47 PM

Hello Aaron.

Nice that you are new to sim racing and want to start with the 20 year old sim GPL. :)

I recommend to use a wheel.
But there are also drivers who are very fast with a game pad.

If the original cars should be too hard to master in the beginning you might also try an easier mod. The F1 1965 mod, or the 1967 F2 mod, or the Porsche or Alfa of the 2018 released 1967 Sports cars extra mod.

Visit GPL Links http://www.gpllinks.org
There you will find the important links of the GPL universe.

If you should get lost in the huge amount of infos we posted here and linked to please do not hesitate to ask here again.

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Apr 12 2019 - 03:48 PM.

#13 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,582 posts

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 06:36 AM

After 20yrs there is lots of info.

Really, the cars are not hard to drive.
What is difficult is getting your skills up to millisecond stable operation at 200mph on a street circuit.

Imagine hopping on a Hayabusa first time ever and ripping off a few laps.
Really?

Guessing the first lap around you are not going be laying down some sweeping drifts while pushing red line.

Try that here in what are still among the world's fastest cars ever...no problem.

11. Configure controller button macro "Shift-R" to replace car on track, then try to not use it so much.

Edited by John Woods, Apr 13 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#14 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 08:04 AM

So, which way are you going Aaron?

#15 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,582 posts

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 08:30 AM

Big question?

Edited by John Woods, Apr 13 2019 - 10:11 AM.

#16 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 12:11 PM

Well, he's been on the forum since I made that post.

Maybe we lost him?

#17 OkieSimRacer

OkieSimRacer

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:History, motorsports, sim racing

Posted Apr 13 2019 - 12:46 PM

Nope, you haven’t gotten rid of me that easy. 😀 Wife and I have 2 boys under 7 so weekends are really busy. I’ll hop on the forum tonight and make a more detailed post about my current situation. Thank you all for reaching out with your suggestions and for the warm welcome to the forum!

#18 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Apr 14 2019 - 09:53 AM

Monza is a great track to start with. In 98 or 99, I defaulted to the Lotus at Kyalami. After a few to several weeks I gave up and forgot about GPL until 2011. I almost did the same thing in 2011 but once I went to Monza I really started enjoying GPL.

#19 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,633 posts

Posted Apr 14 2019 - 10:14 AM

I tortured myself when I first got GPL. I jumped in the Lotus and went to Monaco. After getting that track pretty good I went to Nurburgring. After those two tracks, it all seemed easier.

#20 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,582 posts

Posted Apr 14 2019 - 12:20 PM

My initial respect for Grand Prix Legends, beyond its authentic portrayal of racing history and the Milliken accuracy of the physics model, was as well based on there being no pretense of it being a game, no short cuts, and no cheat codes.

The only path to success is to learn how to drive a race car.

After being here awhile it becomes apparent how much more there is to Grand Prix Legends.

Edited by John Woods, Apr 15 2019 - 05:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginners, Hardware, Newbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links