Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 12:09 PM

Hi chaps,

So, as some of you might know (especially the ones at oAo), I've got myself an used G25: it was working great before, but I felt like a good dusting and re-greasing was in order.
So, got the vaseline and the lithium grease, dusted and whashed the cloth and plastics, it came out really nice and still working well.

After a bit of time I've started realizing that, since I have to plug it and unplug it time and time again because my desk is pretty much my only space to study, work and have some leisure, the DIN-9 cables could seriously damage themselves over time. Also, I somehow feel like the steering wheel is a bit too... "little": maybe it's because I'm used to the real cars' ones, but I'm feeling a bit cramped when driving.

So... is there any whay which I could port my Shifter and pedals over to USB? And what could be done about the wheel? Do modifications such as these significantly weaken or alter the FFB?

Thanks to anybody taking the time to answer back :)

#2 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 12:42 PM

My pedals are permanently under my desk and connected to the PC using the cable by Leo Bodnar. Works like a charm. There's also one for the shifter. My wheel is stored away for everydays use and connected to front USB when racing.

A diffenerent approach would be to get a wheelstand where you mount everything to and store away when not needed.

Edited by Yngwie, Jan 17 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#3 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 01:40 PM

Interesting solution, to say the least: doesn't it feel a bit uneasy under the feet? Just wondering :)

I've already checked Bodnar's solutions and... it's pricey, really: also, I don't get the "augmented precision" stuff: the signal coming from the wheel is "born" as 8-bit, increasing the resolution to 10 bits it's absolutely useless in that case. :/
I wonder if there's a cheaper solution for that :/

#4 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 02:14 PM

Could this help?

http://wheelstandpro...-wheel---deluxe

#5 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 02:31 PM

Well, that's an idea there: I've never seen a collapsable rig, always static ones :)

#6 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 03:28 PM

Depends on where you store your wheel and how "tidy" you want (or your wife/GF/whatever wants :D) your desktop surrounding to look like. I'm also in "one desk for all activities" situation. My G25 was permanently plugged in to USB ports at the back of the PC, power off. The wheel & shifter were sitting stored in a factory box standing next to my desk (wires pulled under the cover of the box), while the pedals were located under the desk all the time (being rather small they didn't bother me at all). When it was time for driving, I was just pulling the wheel out of the box, attaching it to the desk, plugging the PSU in and off I went. All wires in G25 were long enough to do it easily, though I admit my desk is narrow. After driving session was finished, power off, wheel back to the box, done.

I do the same now with my T500 - big blue box sitting all the time next to the desk is the only drawback, but only visual, not functional one. Pedals, even though much bigger than G25's, stay under the desk and don't cause any troubles either.

Edited by Art-J, Jan 17 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#7 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted Jan 17 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostArt-J, on Jan 17 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Depends on where you store your wheel and how "tidy" you want (or your wife/GF/whatever wants :D) your desktop surrounding to look like. I'm also in "one desk for all activities" situation. My G25 was permanently plugged in to USB ports at the back of the PC, power off. The wheel & shifter were sitting stored in a factory box standing next to my desk (wires pulled under the cover of the box), while the pedals were located under the desk all the time (being rather small they didn't bother me at all). When it was time for driving, I was just pulling the wheel out of the box, attaching it to the desk, plugging the PSU in and off I went. All wires in G25 were long enough to do it easily, though I admit my desk is narrow. After driving session was finished, power off, wheel back to the box, done.

I do the same now with my T500 - big blue box sitting all the time next to the desk is the only drawback, but only visual, not functional one. Pedals, even though much bigger than G25's, stay under the desk and don't cause any troubles either.

I store the wheel in the original box, which is into a closet in the opposite side of the room: with it there are the pedals and shift. I don't mind having to plug everything back in at all, but the problem for me is that the wheel is already 13 years old and I don't think it can sustain some more abuse as far as connectors are concerned, so I was looking for a cheap (possibly USB) workaround.

I might be seeming like a whiny brat on this, but I'm trying to get the most out of it, since it's the only wheel I could afford ^^;

#8 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jan 19 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostLord, on Jan 17 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

Well, that's an idea there: I've never seen a collapsable rig, always static ones :)

I can vouch for the Wheel Stand Pro.  I've had mine for over 6 years and have been very happy with it.  I have a Thrustmaster T500 wheel and peddle set and the Wheel Stand Pro handles it well. It's very stable and a quality product.  The T500 is considerably heavier and produces more force from it's motor than the G25, so your G25 would work perfect with it if you decide to go that way.

Customer Service is great as well.  I had a main part break about 18 months ago and I sent an email with pictures of the broken part hoping to be able to buy a replacement.  The sent me a replacement free including the cost of shipping without me asking for this.

Edited by dbell84, Jan 19 2018 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links