Jump to content


- - - - -

Grand Prix 1955 Test Drive Through Dense British Fog @ Aintree

F1 1955 Web Cam commented Gameplay Aintree Track Wet Weather Patch

  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ralonso

Ralonso

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 18 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hi Guys, it's me again! :P

Last night I found a small time windows to do a next GPLegends experience drive video! I was in Aintree with the Mercedes F1 of 1955 trying to make some steps in the wright direction to gain some pace with this beast of a car! ^_^

Well it wasn't THAT easy, but very funny for sure! Go here to see how I did my way through difficult weather conditions in England: https://www.youtube....h?v=hwAJ4IvQhH8

Enjoy!

Bye! :wave:

#2 rachet1

rachet1

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Punxsutawney,Pa. U.S.A.
  • Interests:racing sims(gpl,gt3,gt4,colin mcrae rally3,wrc)<br />astronomy<br />cooking
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 18 2018 - 10:23 PM

You're a brave man for tackling Aintree in the fog !!! :drive1:

#3 Ralonso

Ralonso

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 20 2018 - 03:26 AM

View Postrachet1, on Jan 18 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

You're a brave man for tackling Aintree in the fog !!! :drive1:
Thank you! Did you see the latest video from GPLaps? He is doing a full  1955 F1 Season with GPLegeds and has started his first race yesterday in Argentina. He did a great job through there and thanks to a hint he gave concerning the steering wheel ratio setting it to 12:1 now I immediately myself can go a lot faster than before! Will show its effect soon in a next run!
Cheers!

#4 rachet1

rachet1

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Punxsutawney,Pa. U.S.A.
  • Interests:racing sims(gpl,gt3,gt4,colin mcrae rally3,wrc)<br />astronomy<br />cooking
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 21 2018 - 07:20 PM

I'll be sure to check that out on You Tube. I've used GPL Setup Manager to set gearing on the 55s. I also found that reducing the steering ratio helps. At Monaco, I've made them 10:1.

Ratchet(Richard Ingham) :drive:

#5 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 03:05 AM

A lower sterring ratio can help, but I think that would be unrealistic for its time...

I set mine at the 55 mod at 17:1 (three clicks less than default) and instead always have 45 or 60/60 or 85 differential, clutches depending on weight vehicle.

Allowing the car to rotate much helps for me with dealing with the mass understeer.

#6 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

    Denny Hulme

  • GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bavaria, Germany
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 05:57 AM

View PostGrandPrixYannick, on Jan 22 2018 - 03:05 AM, said:

A lower sterring ratio can help, but I think that would be unrealistic for its time...

I set mine at the 55 mod at 17:1

:shock:

I use 8:1 steering ratio for all mods.
I don`t care if it is realistic, I just want to control it. :D

#7 jxeboy

jxeboy

    GPLaps

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 08:42 AM

It would be realistic to use 17:1 if our steering wheels could move a whole 900 degrees. In GPL the steering is modeled only at around 300 degrees, so you must use a much lower steering ratio to compensate and actually be able to make tight turns.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:37 AM

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 22 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

It would be realistic to use 17:1 if our steering wheels could move a whole 900 degrees. In GPL the steering is modeled only at around 300 degrees, so you must use a much lower steering ratio to compensate and actually be able to make tight turns.

That seems backwards. If I set my wheel to 900 degrees I need to use a very fast ratio in GPL and it still doesn't seem fast enough.

I set my wheel to 290 degrees and set the ratio in GPL to 16-1. It feels ok and no problem making hairpins with the steering hack checked.

#9 jxeboy

jxeboy

    GPLaps

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 09:50 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Jan 22 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

View Postjxeboy, on Jan 22 2018 - 08:42 AM, said:

It would be realistic to use 17:1 if our steering wheels could move a whole 900 degrees. In GPL the steering is modeled only at around 300 degrees, so you must use a much lower steering ratio to compensate and actually be able to make tight turns.

That seems backwards. If I set my wheel to 900 degrees I need to use a very fast ratio in GPL and it still doesn't seem fast enough.

I set my wheel to 290 degrees and set the ratio in GPL to 16-1. It feels ok and no problem making hairpins with the steering hack checked.

You're probably right. I guess I am restricting my steering to 320 degrees on the wheel so that it lines up with the in-game steering wheel. When you set yours to 900 does that still happen? With the steering wheel set to 320 degrees i run anywhere from 8 to 12:1 steering ratio to make it through corners.

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

    Jim Clark

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 22 2018 - 10:17 AM

If I set it to 900 it's undrivable to me. It's way too slow. In more modern race sims setting it to 900 will automatically set the proper steering for each car. GPL is too old for that feature. So, I have to set it like I have an old wheel that only has 290 degrees.

In other words. The more turns you have with your wheel. The faster you need to make the steering ratio in GPL. Of course, we all like a different feel, so nothing is set in stone.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links