Jump to content


- - - - -

Gpl Tachometer Patch


  • Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St Andrews, Scotland
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:19 PM

When working offline, does it only work for the player car or do the AI also show the same intended jerky tachometer effect?

I have a slight vague memory from way back from when Amir Kamal was working on the updated Pribluda version he made that some of the memory addresses are different for online and offline for the display of some of the car parameters and I wonder if you need to intercept some different addresses when the game is running in "online mode"?

My instinct would be that for offline all will be well, including AI, since I think that also was fine for Amir with the first version of Pribluda he made, but that for online the 20 cars involved get their "numbers" written to a different memory table and that needed some other logic to get added to figure out when that was required.

Rob

#42 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

    Targa Fan

  • Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida - USA
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:34 PM

The new electronic impulse type tachometer Patch only works for the Player car.

#43 MK3424

MK3424

    Jochen Rindt

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Gaming
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:44 PM

Okay, i've made a short cinematic trailer of this mod, for those who wonder how it looks like ingame:

https://www.youtube....h?v=2XfQJHWRdO8

#44 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St Andrews, Scotland
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Nov 07 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

The new electronic impulse type tachometer Patch only works for the Player car.

Thanks Greg.

In which case I would reckon it is down to memory addresses then since online the stuff about "your" car is not in the same place it would be when offline unless you happen to be the server.

EDIT: OOOooo, actually how does the speedometer patch work? That also intercepts a number and displays it to a cockpit gauge and I assume also has these different locations for online and offline car data too? I am pretty sure that one does work in all cases, so is there a similar trick or fix that could get used here too?

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Nov 07 2018 - 12:54 PM.


#45 Lee200

Lee200

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 01:00 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Nov 07 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

When working offline, does it only work for the player car or do the AI also show the same intended jerky tachometer effect?

I have a slight vague memory from way back from when Amir Kamal was working on the updated Pribluda version he made that some of the memory addresses are different for online and offline for the display of some of the car parameters and I wonder if you need to intercept some different addresses when the game is running in "online mode"?

My instinct would be that for offline all will be well, including AI, since I think that also was fine for Amir with the first version of Pribluda he made, but that for online the 20 cars involved get their "numbers" written to a different memory table and that needed some other logic to get added to figure out when that was required.

Rob

Well GPL is always mysterious.  I've no idea at this point why the new tach code doesn't work for the online player.  I don't believe it's a memory location issue; rather I think the code section for displaying the tach needle is different for online versus offline.  It's the same issue for the AI.

I am sure that Pribluda isn't the issue as I don't use that.

EDIT:

Rob, the speedometer patch works entirely differently.  In this case there are known memory locations that work for the player and AI.  These locations contain the car speed along the x, y, and z axes.  (You'd think that GPL would have a simple, forward speed memory location, but I've never found one.)  The speedometer patch computes the car's forward speed based on these individual speeds.

Edited by Lee200, Nov 07 2018 - 01:05 PM.


#46 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St Andrews, Scotland
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 01:03 PM

I don't think Pribluda is the issue either, but I remember Amir having to find a second data table to extract the numbers he needed for the case of online which was different to offline.

EDIT: It might not be that at all, of course, it was just a suggestion for somewhere to look since I remembered having seen this difference in online vs offline behaviour before. :)

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Nov 07 2018 - 01:05 PM.


#47 MK3424

MK3424

    Jochen Rindt

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Gaming
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Nov 07 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

I don't think Pribluda is the issue either, but I remember Amir having to find a second data table to extract the numbers he needed for the case of online which was different to offline.

EDIT: It might not be that at all, of course, it was just a suggestion for somewhere to look since I remembered having seen this difference in online vs offline behaviour before. :)

Rob

I have Pribluda disabled, and even then in multiplayer it won't work...

#48 Lee200

Lee200

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 07:40 PM

Instead of writing the patch, I should have just bought a tach.  :)

https://pivotjp.com/...sg/index-e.html

Pretty cool.  Be sure to watch the video.

#49 MK3424

MK3424

    Jochen Rindt

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Gaming
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 07 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostLee200, on Nov 07 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

Instead of writing the patch, I should have just bought a tach.  :)

https://pivotjp.com/...sg/index-e.html

Pretty cool.  Be sure to watch the video.

Would look very cool!

But how are you gonna let it communicate it with GPL?

Last time i checked, there are no programs that work with GPL...

#50 leon_90

leon_90

    Lorenzo Bandini

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy/Puglia
  • Interests:Mainly V12s
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 08 2018 - 05:07 PM

Might be useful somewhat

http://www.triumphcl...pdfs/Smiths.pdf

Edited by leon_90, Nov 08 2018 - 05:08 PM.


#51 MK3424

MK3424

    Jochen Rindt

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Gaming
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 20 2018 - 04:57 AM

And? Did you get the tacho working?

#52 Lee200

Lee200

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 20 2018 - 06:12 AM

View PostMK3424, on Nov 20 2018 - 04:57 AM, said:

And? Did you get the tacho working?

I don't understand.

If you're asking about that real world tach that simulates a chronometric tach, it was just for info.

If you're asking if I got the GPL patch to work online, no.

#53 pioujd428

pioujd428

    Chris

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Perth Australia
  • Interests:1967 and 1968
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 23 2018 - 04:07 AM

Thanks for this patch Lee. I always appreciate anything that makes GPL that little bit more accurate. :thumbup:

Edited by pioujd428, Nov 23 2018 - 04:09 AM.


#54 Treetop64

Treetop64

    Bob Anderson

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motor racing, biking, historical aircraft
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 30 2018 - 07:32 PM

Just how [bleep] badly this sim needed a twitchy tach.  I mean, seriously.

Lee, can't thank you enough!

#55 Lee200

Lee200

    Denny Hulme

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 31 2018 - 10:07 AM

You're welcome and glad you like the patch.  :)

#56 Treetop64

Treetop64

    Bob Anderson

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Motor racing, biking, historical aircraft
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 05 2019 - 04:18 PM

Question regarding the 1965 Ferrari 1512.  I may be incorrect but if memory serves, the 1512 did not have the electronic ignition many other cars were already using, instead using four coils and twin plugs.  Does this mean that the tachometer would be mechanically linked and thus be continuous instead of the pulse type?  Thanks.

--  Nvm.  Didn't consider that the tach would still be directly connected to the ignition electrically and not cable driven.

Edited by Treetop64, Jan 05 2019 - 04:39 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links