• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 03 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hi All:

I've been enjoying the 1955 mod, but I've now that I'm not crashing all the time, often the races get into some type of "time loop" and the laps aren't counted, nor does the fuel deplete. So, the racing can go on and on and on.

Perhaps a clue to those of you that know much more than I am is that when I finally retire and check the results there are cars many laps down and such... but I've only passed cars that were in front of me and did not catch up to the lapped cars.

I've had this happen at Buenos Aires, Zandvoort, and Aintree for sure. Haven't raced long enough at Spa, Monaco, etc, to see if this phenomenon exists elsewhere.

Once, at Aintree, I think, I had raced from a last place start all the way to first... but the race would not count down. I slowed, and let the 3 cars behind me pass me, and then started racing again... and the laps began to be counted again. Very strange.

FYI: I'm launching GPL through GEM.

This is definitely spoiling the experience and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this, and more importantly, found a fix?

Thank you much for your input.

Old Simmer

#2 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Jul 03 2017 - 10:43 PM

Update:
So I reactivated the "telementry" feature wondering if that would make a difference.

I started in last place and ended up winning. Oddly, the laps never counted down until the last lap and the race actually completed. But no other laps were displayed besides 2, 1, and 0.

Unrelated: Trying to adjust the AI via GEM hasn't proven to be satisfactory. The default AI setting is too slow at some tracks, however when attempting to bump the AI speed up from "0", it immediately jumps to .5 and nothing less can be selected. From .5 the AI can be adjusted in .1 increments... but not so the first step, it's always .5.  At .5 the AI go from turning laps around 1.59 sec to 1.38 seconds at Buenos Aires! No way I can even keep the back markers in sight!

Is my GPL and/or GEM install wonky?

The lack of reasonable AI adjustability via GEM, coupled with unpredictable race lap count is really taking the fun out of it at this point.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 03 2017 - 10:47 PM

The speed of 0,5 is the fastest setting for the AI.

Lower than 1 means they get faster, with anything above 1 they will slow down. Can be a bit confusing, but I believe that's how it works.

Edited by Millennium, Jul 03 2017 - 10:49 PM.

#4 Sid

Sid

An unlapsed lapsed GPLer

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Only the 55 mod will tempt me back onto the track.
    Update: The 55 mod has tempted me back onto the track.

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 04:41 AM

Old Simmer
Are you fast forwarding  or skipping practice? I've noticed the same phenonenom  phenonemon  problem when I can't be bothered to qualify.
Sid

#5 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 07:57 AM

Hi All:

First off, thanks a bunch for your input. You've given me some things to try.

Millennium:

So, what I'm hoping to do (increase AI corner speed) would basically only be accomplished with a setting somewhere between .5 and .99?  The straight away speeds are nearly perfect as is. That is, the AI and I are often dead even when running on longer straights.

Sid:

Yes, I often skip practices, accelerating time to end practice and skip to the race. I'm fine with starting from the rear and racing with opponents to gain as many positions as I can.

So you think skipping practice may have something to do with this oddity? Hm. You might be on to something there.

All fer now! Gonna' go try out some things.

Old Simmer

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,352 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 08:09 AM

I was wondering how you were beating the AI so easily. The standard AI setting is 1.0. Using a setting of 0 is dog slow.

#7 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 09:48 AM

Pete said:

"I was wondering how you were beating the AI so easily. The standard AI setting is 1.0. Using a setting of 0 is dog slow."

The default setting in GEM is "0".  So, I left it at that. I can't recall if the AI is still at the same slow speed if I launch GPL 1955 directly via the desktop icon and bypass GEM.
As for being "dog slow"... yup... just call me Old "Dog Slow" Simmer and you've got a good description of my GPL driving ability!  In the 1955 mod, I think the best I've ever run to date at Buenos Aires is something like a 1.47 sec lap: Dog slow!

Any rate, setting the AI at Buenos Aires at .99 puts me driving my butt off and fighting for positions just to run in the top ten. Plus, the AI corner speeds seem to be faster. Mucho better. GPL still doesn't display the laps correctly, but thus far I have yet to endure a full 30 minute practice to see if that corrects it.

All fer now!

Old "Dog Slow" Simmer

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,247 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 10:07 AM

To skip practice (although this will put you at the back of the grid), instead of FFing, just hit the yellow arrow just under the replay window to end practice.

#9 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,352 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 10:07 AM

I didn't say default. I said the standard setting everybody uses is 1.0. I believe the 67 F1 cars with a setting of 1.0. Mods can be anything the makers want to set it, but most of us will change it to 1.0 if it's not set at that. Anything under 1.0 will speed up the AI. Anything over 1.0 will slow them down. That's why it's the standard setting.

A setting of 0 is the AI adjusting to your speed, but it takes 10 races at each track for them to do that. So, they start out really slow until they figure out how fast you are and then will catch up to you gradually at each race.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Jul 04 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#10 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 01:31 PM

Pete:

And I was saying that "as is" the AI is set to .0 in GEM... thus that's how I ran it, not knowing to do anything differently.

All:

As it is, I'm now running the AI at .99. So, IF I'm understanding this correctly, if I should up that to 1.0, the AI will be a bit slower still?

While I'm at it, let me make sure I'm getting a handle on this:

1. As installed, GEM defaults the AI to .0.  That is the "adaptive" setting, but it does take a while for the AI to adapt to the player's speed. (Does "Link AI Speed To Player" need to be active for this setting to be in effect?)

2. A setting of 1.0 is somewhat the defacto "standard" that the majority of serious/semi serious GPL'ers set the AI to.

3. If, using GEM, I set the AI below 1, say in my case to .99, I have INCREASED the speed of the AI slightly compared to a setting of 1.0?

4. Conversely, if I should set the AI speed to 1.2, I have DECREASED the AI speed slightly?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks for the input... I think I'm learning some things through it!

Old "Dog Slow" Simmer

#11 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 01:44 PM

Okay, I need to correct something that I said:

I just noticed when I just opened GEM, the default AI speed was 1, and the "Race Length %age" was set to 0 (zero). I may have been misread the fields.

However, if the AI was already set to 1, then hmmm... wonder why they were so slow?

A best lap for me at Buenos Aires of 1.47 ain't that blazin' fast, seems to me?  However, I was having to slow way up to avoid running into them in the turns if the setting was indeed 1.

Wonder what gives?

Off to Buenos Aires to learn more about AI behavior in view of the GEM settings.

#12 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 02:44 PM

In recap:

Don't know what settings were in effect, but making sure the GEM/AI setting at 1 results in some really fun racing.

Also, it behooves me to go into the practice mode and at least record a time for the program to work with. Skipping practice and going straight to the race seems to confuse the program. The last race I practiced until I had a time I was okay with... then accelerated the time, and once in the race, the full laps were displaying and counting down as they should. Barring practicing, it seems that using a saved practice time can also work.

Now, at the GEM/AI setting of 1, I CAN run in the top ten... but I have to drive hard (for me) and really smart to do so. Unfortunately, I can't seem to handle the "smart" part just yet.

Case in point: I was having a GREAT race with the #28(?) Lancia at Buenos Aires for a top ten position and was REALLY having a ton of fun. I was ever so slightly faster in the curves, but not fast enough (or smooth enough) leaving a curve or on the straights to overtake. Attempts at out braking him showed my impatience and inexperience, for I would typically over brake anyway... or over shoot a bit and have to reel it back in. In the mean time, the Lancia would continue to hold his lead over me. This went on for several laps. In retrospect, I should have fallen in behind him and dogged him until there he made a bobble... then try to capitalize on it. Instead, the lacking of "smart" kicked in and I tried a hairbrained attempt to out brake him at the hairpin. I woefully misjudged my closing speed and promptly left the track and lost it all.

Darn.

Ah, the beauty of saved practice sessions: I shall return!

Thanks again for all your input. It has helped me derive more fun from this silly sim!

#13 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Supporter
  • 3,352 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 03:02 PM

What race length are you running?

#14 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 03:45 PM

Intermediate Short.

I just finished a race (launched through GEM) at Buenos Aires using a saved practice, and the sim performed as designed, correctly displaying the laps/etc. So, it seems it needs a player practice time to dependably go into race mode.

FWIW: In regards to the mentioned race, I placed 9th after some hard battles. Eventually, it settled down to me and the track with the 8th place car slightly bettering my lap times and thus methodically pulling away from me.

It would be very nice if the field could be tightened up so there was less spread between the slowest and the fastest cars so more opportunity for lap after lap dicing would be possible. But, from watching some actual 1955 F1 race footage on Youtube, the spread seems "realistic" in regards to reflecting historical racing... but within the game of racing GPL, more racing throughout the course of a race would sure be fun!

Old Simmer

#15 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 06 2017 - 03:26 AM

View PostOld Simmer, on Jul 04 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

It would be very nice if the field could be tightened up so there was less spread between the slowest and the fastest cars so more opportunity for lap after lap dicing would be possible. ...

You can tweak the individual drivers in the driv55.ini file to close up, or stretch out, the field.

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4060

Edited by jgf, Jul 06 2017 - 03:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links