• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 03:20 PM

Hi All:

In my introductory post, the topic quickly transitioned into a "how do I?" thread, so the suggestion was made to use a more appropriate forum... so here I is!  The original thread can be viewed here for an overview of what has been discussed thus far:

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11926

I most certainly welcome any input you GPL veterans can offer as I attempt to get back up to speed (pardon the pun!) with GPL!

Old Simmer

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 03:51 PM

Welcome back Old Simmer

All these patches are included in the installer, so you don't need them anymore! You get a full featured GPL out of the box.
But you need to dl for the administration of the 55mod : GEMPackage_2.5.0.32

#3 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Cookie!

Okay, here's the installer that I have downloaded:

gplinstall_beta_1.08.exe

And here's the GEM that I have downloaded:

GEMPackage_2.5.0.32

IF the above is what I need, then I think I now need to do the following:

* Uninstall my wonky GPL Win7 install.

* Install gplinstall_beta_1.08.exe

* Insert the CD and DO NOT run the default installation routine.

* Start gplinstall_beta_1.08.exe and let it do its thing.

* Once I verify that I have a good installation of GPL, install GEM.

Does this look correct?

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 04:50 PM

After install with the 1.08 installer you will not have to insert the gpl cd into your drive.

Then you should have gpl exe's on your desktop.Execute either one and enter the gpl menu.Name your driver and pick car ,helmet colour and nationality.Note when you click for name you wont see cursor to type in name box.Don't worry just type name and letters will type.
Then calibrate controller and other settings.

Come out of gpl back to desktop,install gem,it may ask you to point at gpl exe in your game dir folder.Once you do gem should work with gpl.

Most people start gpl from the desktop exe's rather than gem.They use gem for mods and more setting options.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 11 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#5 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 05:10 PM

Thanks tp:

Making sure I understand you:

* Install gplinstall_beta_1.08.exe

From there, GPL is installed and it's time to go into GPL and make my car/country/etc selections.

GEM can then be installed afterward. (But will be needed for the1955 mod.)

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 05:40 PM

Gem is ideal for mods as you can manipulate things better.
I install mods into my gpl folder.
Some people copy the base gpl folder and install mods into that copied gpl folder.So they have numerous folders for each mod.
After your base 1.08 install it is a good idea to save that base dir to one of your external HD as sometimes gpl can break sometimes.
For each mod you can have a different driver name.Just make a driver name for each mod just like you did for the base 1.08 install.Then in gem you will have a driver name drop down box for each driver name.Change the driver name in gem and the mod config will change so you can alter things for that mod.
Or you can just have one base folder,install all mods into that and under one driver name.But remember save a copy of your base 1.08 install as a starting point.

You can try gpl when installed with installer and while first going in to create driver,without installing Gem.
TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 11 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#7 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 05:49 PM

Okay, good news, bad news.

Good news: GPL is now installed and runs.

Bad news: There's a smallish pink circle right above the six o' clock position on all menu pages within GPL. This same pink circle is translucent when in a car.

Any ideas?

#8 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 05:55 PM

Mmm not sure what that could be.

What graphics card are you running.

Also make sure you have either direct3d v2 or opengl v2 rasterizers picked.Either in gpl graphic options or you can do it in Gem,if installed.

Someone may come along here and have some solution to your issue.

TP:

#9 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 06:16 PM

Never saw or heard about that "smallish pink circle right above the six o' clock position"

Please install GEM+ and start GPL. Here you can control some nice patches too...

Posted Image

#10 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 06:35 PM

Also, on the main GPL screen, within the circle is a white silhouette of a handgun!

Anyway, in GPL, the Glide V2 was selected, so I changed that to direct3D and the pink circle went away.  Selecting either of the Glide options returns the pink circle. Very strange.

However, in direct3, even with all sliders maxed and a resolution of 1900 x 1600, I get 36 FPS with a full field of cars ahead.

I'm okay with the direct3D option. Time to install GEM, and then get 1955 installed!

tp: Forgot to tell you that I have  GeForce GTX 650 graphic card.

#11 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 07:29 PM

Well, I've found/downloaded the various tracks the 1955 mod needs, and tried to install. Some apparently didn't install correctly.

The instructions at the gplworld.de indicate I'm to use GEM to create the 1955 exe. After looking within GEM to see if I could accomplish that, I still haven't a clue how to do that. Have futzed with this all evening and am tired of dealing with it.

All for tonight. I will resume tomorrow night.

Thanks for you input. It is appreciated.

Edited by Old Simmer, Jun 11 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,247 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 08:22 PM

In GEM > Carsets button (top left) > move the mod from the inactive tot he active column.

#13 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jun 11 2017 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Cookie.  GEM installed and being used.

Bob: Thanks. That must have done the trick, for now the 1955 exe was active within my GPL folder. I have created a shortcut for it and placed it up on the Desktop along with the 1.2 and 1.3 shortcuts.  I only have three track showing up within the 1955 in-game track menu, (Buenos Aires, Zandvoort, and The Ring), so I still have much to learn. I tried to make a copy of the functional Monza10k track that is in my old GP install (from my E drive), but it doesn't show up. That tells me I need to do something else in order for the 55 mod to "see" it

#14 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,691 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 12 2017 - 05:38 AM

Hello Old Simmer, welcome back to GPL. :)

From what I have read you are already using my easy installation guide:
http://gplworld.org/...tion-guide.html

After installing GEM+ and creating a GPL player for the 55 mod (and all other mods) via the GPL shortcut 1.3 you only need to install all tracks for the 55 mod, then you install the 55 mod itself. But you can also install the missing tracks later.
Here you can download full track folders for the 55 mod (55 track conversions & updates): http://srmz.net/inde...p?showforum=189

I wouldn`t use the tracks of your old installation (I assume those are located on your E drive).

You don`t need to create a shortcut to the 55mod.exe when you have all mods in one GPL installation (having a new GPL installation for each mod is a different thing I would only recommend for experienced users). When you are done with all installations you start GPL only via the green "GPL" button of GEM+ (maybe I should make that more clear in my guide).

I hope that helps you.
Please keep on asking in case you run into trouble again.
I am sure we will be able to fix it and get it running. :)

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jun 12 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#15 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted Jun 12 2017 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Stefan for your input. There is much for me to learn. Perhaps I should consider reading that manual of which you speak? :D

At this point,I have the following tracks functioning in the 55 Mod:

Aintree
Monaco
Spa 67
Monaco 10K
The Ring
Buenas Aires
Zandvoort

I think Zandvoort is the default GPL track.

Having a blast crashing my brains out at Spa currently! Man, those guys back then had brass balls: Spa is scary fast and had minimal safety features!

Old Simmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links