#1 mdw1961

mdw1961

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 20 2019 - 09:58 AM

After a little help as I made the mistake of fiddling with the Field of View button in GEM+ in the original '67. I tried reducing it from 78 to 36 and now I can only see the very top pf the screen and a tiny amount of the nose.

So I put it back to 78 in GEM+ but it steadfastly refuses to revert back no matter how many times I restart GEM+ or GPL. In other mods the FOV has not changed.

I've tried looking through various .ini files to see if it's in there but to no avail.

Any ideas out there?

#2 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,393 posts

Posted Aug 20 2019 - 10:54 AM

You have to:

1) delete the mod's EXE - in the case of the original 67 cars it's gplc67.exe
2) change the setting in GEM
3) restart GEM to rebuild the gplc67.exe

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 20 2019 - 02:36 PM

I've found a slightly easier way to guarantee that GEM rebuilds a mod EXE file. Just change the season file you're using. The original "SEASON67" string was hard-coded into GPL.EXE, and part of GEM's patching is to replace that string with whatever season file you want to use. That's why the name of your season file always has to be 8 characters long, so GEM can patch it into the same space. So if you change your selected season file in GEM, then choose your track, and then start the game, it forces GEM to rebuild the EXE file, including any other changes that you've made, such as the FOV setting.

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,645 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 20 2019 - 04:08 PM

Nifty trick Saiph.

Like it
:D

#5 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 20 2019 - 04:15 PM

I'm not a pretty face.

(Actually I think the word "just" is supposed to be in there somewhere, but it's so long since I've used that phrase that I can't quite remember! ;) :D )

#6 duckbot

duckbot

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Robot ducks

Posted Aug 21 2019 - 03:29 AM

View PostSaiph, on Aug 20 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

I've found a slightly easier way to guarantee that GEM rebuilds a mod EXE file. Just change the season file you're using. The original "SEASON67" string was hard-coded into GPL.EXE, and part of GEM's patching is to replace that string with whatever season file you want to use. That's why the name of your season file always has to be 8 characters long, so GEM can patch it into the same space. So if you change your selected season file in GEM, then choose your track, and then start the game, it forces GEM to rebuild the EXE file, including any other changes that you've made, such as the FOV setting.

Saiph,  Just a word of caution, that has tripped me up recently.  A bit obscure but fyi.

I normally launch GPL from GEM+.   I tend to change either the driver (to switch mods, doesn't require a rebuild) or as you suggest the seasons file to switch track sets (which forces a rebuild).  Don't get any problems with this.

Recently however, I have been making changes to a mod cst file (in ...\mods\gem+\) using notepad.  In this case even tho' GEM rebuilt the exe, it did not include my changes.  I had to close down and restart GEM.  So the cst files must be cached when GEM loads.

If you make the changes through the GEM+ interface then the changes will be "registered" and then your tip for changing the seasons file to force a rebuild is a good one.

#7 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,020 posts

Posted Aug 21 2019 - 06:47 AM

View Postduckbot, on Aug 21 2019 - 03:29 AM, said:

Recently however, I have been making changes to a mod cst file (in ...\mods\gem+\) using notepad.  In this case even tho' GEM rebuilt the exe, it did not include my changes.  I had to close down and restart GEM.  So the cst files must be cached when GEM loads.

Carset files (.CST) don't directly have anything to do with GPL or its EXE file. GPL knows nothing about CST files. It's only GEM which uses them for information. So it makes sense that if you edit a CST file while GEM is open, you will have to shut down GEM and restart it to make it reload the edited CST data.

#8 mdw1961

mdw1961

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted Aug 21 2019 - 04:20 PM

Thanks guys. Bob's method worked and I'm back to my old familiar view.

I only drop into GPL (and SRMZ) occasionally but it's good to know that the answers are here!

Cheers

Martin

#9 pioujd428

pioujd428

Chris

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:1967 and 1968 F1, Tasman Series

Posted Aug 25 2019 - 03:49 AM

To rebuild an exe I just select a different car in GEM. For me this is the easiest way to do it. :thumbup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links