11 replies to this topic

#1 PJ_00

PJ_00

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted Mar 15 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi guys. GPL "old timer" here. In fact i was a member of the pre-Race Sim Central site (Legends Central anyone remembers?). I didnt posted much, i mostly asked questions, helped others with computer or GPL technical/addon problems or gave thanks and some feedback to addons but always felt the warmness of the community and tried to give something back.  

I started GPL when i was a teenager, but meanwhile i started to become a little tired of GPL and gaming in general (happens to everyone i guess) and the duties of real life caught on, but slowly and steady GPL started to grow back in me. GPL is still the best sim around.

I still have my old backup of GPL but now its outdated. Im starting a new one from scratch, i was worried that some of the important sites were down but quickly realised that, as usual, the GPL community is on top of things, i may ask some questions but i like to research things out for myself first.

If there is an important "old" file/addon missing from the internet i have a few CD´s and DVD´s full of addons and i can search...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and addons out there!

Excuse my english...

#2 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 15 2010 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image to GPL PJ.

And welcome to "The" GPL place to be!

#3 thomass

thomass

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 16 2010 - 07:32 AM

Welcome back PJ!

Nice you found that friendly corner of the internet.

Thomas

#4 Sid

Sid

An unlapsed lapsed GPLer

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Only the 55 mod will tempt me back onto the track.
    Update: The 55 mod has tempted me back onto the track.

Posted Mar 16 2010 - 10:42 AM

Welcome back PJ. Another prodigal son returns.
Your English is fine BTW.

#5 Strider

Strider

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Mar 16 2010 - 09:02 PM

Welcome back.

Dick

#6 mach

mach

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Jun 21 2011 - 10:46 PM

View PostPJ_00, on Mar 15 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

Hi guys. GPL "old timer" here. In fact i was a member of the pre-Race Sim Central site (Legends Central anyone remembers?). I didnt posted much, i mostly asked questions, helped others with computer or GPL technical/addon problems or gave thanks and some feedback to addons but always felt the warmness of the community and tried to give something back.  

I started GPL when i was a teenager, but meanwhile i started to become a little tired of GPL and gaming in general (happens to everyone i guess) and the duties of real life caught on, but slowly and steady GPL started to grow back in me. GPL is still the best sim around.

I still have my old backup of GPL but now its outdated. Im starting a new one from scratch, i was worried that some of the important sites were down but quickly realised that, as usual, the GPL community is on top of things, i may ask some questions but i like to research things out for myself first.

If there is an important "old" file/addon missing from the internet i have a few CD´s and DVD´s full of addons and i can search...

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and addons out there!

Excuse my english...

Hi Gent's I too tried my hand in 1999 with a 233mhz no mem funky vidio card very low frame rate machine.I did
however see what real virtual racing could be. last year while surfing or whatever we call staring at a picture
on tv I stumbled onto Gpl again and downloaded the demo. Wow Its taken me some time to get gem to do exactly
what I want but now am running my own setups learning to drive and be way more aggressive and totally enjoying
this sim on tracks I never would even try. my machine is a dellw/3ghz processor ati radeon hd card and an old
sidewinder wheel 60fps always being partially disabled this has been a blessing. thanks rojo1

#7 swamp_rat_14

swamp_rat_14

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:another day

Posted Jul 06 2017 - 04:20 AM

400mhz K6 - don't recall ram #,
first ran GPL demo in the last century. 1999.
Decided GPL was "too hard" to drive, bought Nascar Legends instead at that time.

So here we are today GPL is number 1 of my sims and rF2 is second. Honorable mention to GT Legends by Simbin for 3rd.

Offline and local LAN only though, too many online places are too damn snarky to allow in to my home by ethernet cable.
If you know of an online race that is for ladies and gentlemen of not snarky natures I am open to "one-more-try".

Gkids don't need to know about jerks being jerks not yet anyway.

FWIW Nascar 3 and Indycar 2(DOS) I do keep running as well as Nascar Legends.
Again I thank you for all the work to keep alive GP Legends.

For anyone having doubts about the updates and mods being viable....
by far the hardest part was tracking down a legal CD from near 20 years ago.
Swamp Rat 14

Edited by swamp_rat_14, Jul 06 2017 - 04:21 AM.

#8 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jul 06 2017 - 06:10 AM

Welcome back PJ!!

Swamp Rat (I guess it's not your real name :) ) and PJ, most leagues are now visible at Gpl-Weekly. Several of them have funraces you surely could join, depending on preferences and time.

http://freeleo.hu/we...d announcements

Cheers. Marcos

Edited by mcmirande, Jul 06 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#9 swamp_rat_14

swamp_rat_14

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Jul 06 2017 - 08:21 AM

Thank You Marcos,
I will check those races out...
one day into the return I am addicted again,
first gotta learn a lot and drive a lot first.
tracks to learn and such still 'training' trying not to spin at Spa.
I'd just mess up somebody's race by screwing up at present.
time flies too

"swamp rat 14" I do as homage to Don Garlits' first rear engine dragster and the lives the concept saved since 1971.

Edited by swamp_rat_14, Jul 06 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#10 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Jul 06 2017 - 06:06 PM

welcome back pj

swamp you will find 99.99% of all online racers have been around for a long time

and wish to be around for even longer therefore are respectful of the game and of the people in it

ie no more keyboard warriors no more idiots driving the wrong way around the track (cough) coursing chaos etc

if you look through this forum you will see what i mean there is no mud slinging there is so no name calling

there is the odd disagreement but its all done with RESPECT

so join an online race/league n have fun

#11 swamp_rat_14

swamp_rat_14

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted Jul 07 2017 - 03:57 AM

Thanks folks for the welcome.

First I came to SRMZ to find instructions for update and the installer and Mod files.
I read some here.
Yes Indeed I find the atmosphere here in this forum more humane and civil, a very inviting thing.

At this point in progress with GPL I need to tighten up the drive before I try not to slide into somebody with no intention to mess up their race and or mine.
Off line I know I made some of the names (Clark and Gurney and etc.) think about shaking their imaginary fist at me.
Can't string 5 laps together at Spa without spinning or sliding off the pavement at present.
Not about not getting beaten in a race as much about being capable.

Worse a best lap of 4.48. so far. I'll work on ability as time allows.
And memorizing the track(s).
A blessing of so many Mods and tracks but a task to be done.
My thanks to those that do this work.

Disagreements not a problem "that was my turn...!" "Yes but I thought I had a hole! Sorry man"...
Part of racing in cyberspace as well.
By the next grid start all is a yesterday gone, mostly.

I look forward to joining a race even if I can only get to the back and follow the pack and learn by doing.
Sincerely
SW14

Edited by swamp_rat_14, Jul 07 2017 - 04:05 AM.

#12 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Jul 08 2017 - 09:38 PM

Welcome back, Swamp!  I too, have just recently returned to GPL.  Right now, I'm hooked on the 1955 mod... wow... what a mod!

Know what'cha mean about online racing and not wanting to be a bumper car to the other seasoned/accomplished racers. So far, now that I'm getting a handle on this GEM+ program, it appears the AI can be a handful!

All fer now, oh, and have fun!

Old Simmer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links