* * * * * 1 votes

Success! I Finally Got Gpl To Work On My Triple Screens!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Money :-)
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 11 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postone2fwee, on Apr 10 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Pedro, your FOV should therefore be 81 ....., try 81 and see what you think :)
I try!

View PostAndreh, on Apr 10 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

3 monitors 5760x1080
http://www.benq.us/p.../specifications
Dimensions(HxWxD mm) 516.9 x 571.4 x 149.9

WOW ... I am not jealous ........ I am only a lot smaller :D

#32 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,736 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Apr 12 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostAndreh, on Apr 10 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

3 monitors 5760x1080 without bezel correction...
Is that resolution possible in GPL?

#33 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Apr 12 2013 - 08:20 AM

yep!
Gem and the vs rasterizers, amazing work from the comunity :)

ps, just in case it aint clear, 5760x1080 is the total resolution

#34 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:climbing

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 03:12 AM

I've been looking into getting a better FOV using your formula.

Would you look at the attached xls spreadsheet & verify that I have understood & written the formula correctly?

Screen resolution 1440 x 900
Screen size          48cm x 27cm
distance to screen 75cm

Attached Files

#35 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 13 2013 - 09:20 AM

Okay everyone, i need you VISIBLE screen sizes. Please measure the actual size of the display area (with an image showing so that you can tell where the display area ends).
A lot of the values you seem to be giving me are not the actual screen area - for example 1440*900 is  16:10 aspect ratio, but 48*27cm is obviously including bezels or something.
Apart from that your calculations seem correct although your answers are in radians - you will need to convert them to degrees (though i think you can do this by changing cell formatting).

Ginetto, you can go to very high resolutions if you use the opengl renderer. It is only the directx 7 one that is vastly limited.

Andreh: arctan is the same thing as tan-1.
Can you give me your actual screen height? On the monitor's website i am not sure what the dimensions it is stating actually are. What is the difference between CTN Dimensions and dimensions?
Either way, neither seems to be the actual visible viewing area dimensions - as they include a depth, which obviously the viewing area doesn't. I can't see the viewing area dimensions listed though, so you will probably have to measure yourself (or it might say in the datasheet if one came with it).

Also, how are you rendering across 3 screens? Matrox? Or ati eyefinity / nvidia surround ? If it is ati or nvidia, then it would be better if you can add bezel compensation and then tell me that resolution.

In some other news, i have worked out a formula to convert horizontal FOV to vertical FOV when you just know the FOV and the aspect ratio.
A useful thing about this is that you don't need to know the size of the screen or distance away from it, just one of the FOV values.
This can also be used to correct the trackside / onboard cameras when using an aspect ratio that isn't 4:3 (did you ever notice that this makes them zoom in? I am guessing they all use a 78 horizontal FOV, which would cause this on change of aspect ratio).

So i might make another thread about that if anyone is interested (the functionality could possibly be added to an automatic tool like gpl shift if possible, as the then user wouldn't be forced to edit all their cam files every time they changed aspect ratio :)).

Thanks

#36 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 01:01 PM

Unbeknown to me my desktop was set to 1440x900 & hence GPL would only let me select upto that value.
I have now set it to what I thought it was ie 1920x1080 (16:9) & now I can select that resolution in GPL.

However my measurements of the screen were correct at 48cm x 27cm. This is the visible screen not including bezel. see attached pic.

I have added a radians to degrees calc into the spreadsheet & the calculated FOV is now 35.4°.
I have not tried this whilst driving yet but I will soon.

Everyone feel free to use the spreadsheet to help you with the calculations of the rather confusing subject/calc.

Thanks one2fwee for your efforts in this :)

Attached File  picture008 (2).jpg   649.94K   28 downloads

Attached Files

#37 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 14 2013 - 03:51 PM

Yes you seem to have calculated it correctly, well done!
You're right though, i forgot to mention, in order to set a resolution in GPL, you have to manually set your desktop to it before you enter the game.

For example, if you want to use bezel compensation, you have to enable it on the desktop first before going into gpl and then change the resolution to it in gpl.

In other games, you don't need to do this, it just appears to be a limitation of gpl "knowing" about what resolutions you can set.

#38 Roo

Roo

Jim Clark student

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted Apr 17 2013 - 10:51 AM

I finally got around to testing the calculated FOV. The calculated FOV works out at 35.4° for me.

Here are some observations:
1: like Pedro I found this totally undriveable, my setup really sucked, the car was all over the place. For sure I could probably have tweaked the setup to compensate but I didn't like the idea of all my setups being essentially junked after years of fine tuning them. :(

2: so I decided to split the difference between default (78°) & the calculated 36° ie 57°. This was much better. My setup still worked as I expected it to & I could lap at near my pb. :)

3: at 57° I cannot quite see the outside corner of my tyres which made it difficult, for me, to place the wheel as close to the apex as I would like. Again, some track time could have resolved this, but seat time is limited these days ;)

In conclusion, I looked back to my spreadsheet & noticed that the radian value was quite close to the half way value of 57° ie it is 0.619. OK, a little poetic licence used there :D
But it does allow me to see the outside corner of the tyres & after some laps I beat my pb by half a second.
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but thought it might be of value to others who find the calculated FOV in degrees to be undriveable.

:2c:

Attached File  FOV 36°.jpg   93.66K   79 downloadsAttached File  FOV 57°.jpg   106.13K   97 downloadsAttached File  FOV 62°.jpg   108.19K   94 downloadsAttached File  FOV 78°.jpg   112.15K   82 downloads

Edited by Roo, Apr 17 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#39 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Dec 29 2016 - 08:58 AM

So how did you guys get it to work exactly? Is there a guide somewhere you can provide a link to?

#40 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 11:42 AM

After long FOV debates what is right and what is wrong I read one2fwee's posts and thought why not test it...

Finaly I tried Roo's FOV calculator  and gave a 54° FOV a chance. (27inch full HD monitor 60cm away)

Yes, it was very strange in the beginning, but after some laps I will never go back to 94°.

One thing is missing here:
by using Lee's no Letterbox patch + GPLShift you can move the POV to get the mirrors or wheels back!

The FOV is not affected by moving POV!!!

But
POV manipulation does not work in every mod!
GPLSA is made for 67s only...
GPLShift works only for some mods,
For 69X I found no way yet to get the mirrors !

Now I am really driving in the car and every test I do, shows that I am faster and more consistent now...

PS the Spa hairpin is no problem as you can see it perfectly ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Apr 16 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#41 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• Supporter
  • 2,301 posts

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 12:36 PM

GPLShift won't adjust POV in in the 69x mod (only) in my experience.

For GPLShift to work (what parts of it don't work?) remember to delete the mod's EXE and let it be rebuilt, although I'm sure you're remembering that already.

For the 69x mod, I've just resorted to setting a reasonable FOV to show the mirrors (75°) with GEM. Delete the EXE first, then adjust the FOV in GEM, then let GEM rebuild the EXE. I'm using a single 24" monitor at 1920x1080 res.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Apr 16 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#42 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 01:17 PM

Bob the problem is that changing the FOV is imo no option, if you want a real drivers view.

as I wrote: The FOV is not affected by moving the POV

To see the mirrors you have to move the drivers POV backwards and up or down.

We would need a tool that can handle every car. And makes changes persistant

I had an 69X accident yesterday as I did not see GregT in my mirrors, close following me,
I knew he is 6 meters behind me but not where...

Edited by Cookie, Apr 17 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#43 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Apr 16 2018 - 04:43 PM

Sounds interesting, IIRC when I was at my best that I was generally running 60 FOV and moving the POV via GPLshift as well. Maybe missing a little mirror too as it was before No Letterbox? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links