- - - - -

Idea For New Gplrank Feature: Track Promotion For Lesser Known Tracks

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Idea For New Gplrank Feature: Track Promotion For Lesser Known Tracks (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Track Promotion via GPLRank and Twitter: good idea?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi guys,

Regarding Twitter, I recently found out how easy it is to post messages to Twitter. I'm not a real Twitter user myself, but I would like to explore what it can mean for a community. I first had that idea and then had to think of a feature that could be a good "Tweet-generator". GPLRank already has a track-promo feature, but that one didn't really generate much enthusiasm, primarily (I think) because it required online servers to host races on the promo-track.

I plan to build the track promo feature entirely as a website feature and tweeting updates to Twitter will merely be a nice-to-have feature that's not essential in order to be part of the competition.

Also, Facebook (which I also don't know really well) might also be a good platform. I'll probably explore it as well.

Cheers,
Ed

#17 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Apr 05 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hallo Ed Hut ,
I went to GPLRank and show this "Track Promotion For Lesser Known Tracks" but when i klick on the new track promotion 2011 i get a "Error getting track promo list" .
greets

Edited by svenvangent, Apr 05 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#18 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Apr 05 2011 - 10:47 PM

View Postsvenvangent, on Apr 05 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Hallo Ed Hut ,
I went to GPLRank and show this "Track Promotion For Lesser Known Tracks" but when i klick on the new track promotion 2011 i get a "Error getting track promo list" .
greets
This happened to me as well at first and it was due to a small (and stupid) error on my side when I deployed it onto the server. Can you please try again?
In case it doesn't work, please also try this URL for the results of the only track promo that's running at the moment:

If it still doesn't work, can you let me know which browser version you're using? I haven't done a lot of cross browser testing (I'm on Chrome for Mac myself).

#19 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 06 2011 - 12:19 AM

I just tried it with firefox 4.0 and ie 8.0.6001.18702 (why do they use these stupid version numbers?) and I get the same error as Sven  :idunno:

Edit: The link in the post above does work though  :hat-tip:

Edited by Burnsy865, Apr 06 2011 - 04:21 AM.

#20 s2173

s2173

Skymole

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted Apr 06 2011 - 03:55 AM

Same error here, with Opera 11.01. Seems its not browser related.

I really like the idea tho.

#21 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Apr 06 2011 - 06:26 AM

View PostEd Hut, on Apr 05 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

View Postsvenvangent, on Apr 05 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

Hallo Ed Hut ,
greets
This happened to me as well at first and it was due to a small (and stupid) error on my side when I deployed it onto the server. Can you please try again?
In case it doesn't work, please also try this URL for the results of the only track promo that's running at the moment:

If it still doesn't work, can you let me know which browser version you're using? I haven't done a lot of cross browser testing (I'm on Chrome for Mac myself).
Heydy hoy Ed ,
Still got the fatal error massage when going to the site but ........ when me going to your secundo preposal i can see the light means it works  :P  joepie
Oooo yes i'm using Microsoft internet Explosion 7 .
Do i miss here something/ or dident i understand it well , is this track promotion only for the GTmod ?
greets  :wave:

Little up to date , i've just red the info about the promo track so i can anser my own question  :P  for the momento only GT67 and GPL65 .

Edited by svenvangent, Apr 06 2011 - 06:41 AM.

#22 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Apr 06 2011 - 10:27 AM

About the error with not getting the track promo list, I think I have found the cause. In the Javascript that the page uses to fetch the results, it uses "gplrank.info" as de servername, whereas GPLRank is officially hosted on "gplrank.schuerkamp.de". Some browsers, or plugins on browsers, do not allow data to be fetched from other sites unless the end user explicitly allows this.

I have changed the script to use gplrank.schuerkamp.de. Please let me know if this solved the issue.

Ed

PS: and start driving!
PS2: the feature supports all GPL mods (plus the original of course), but a track promotion can only be held for one version at a time. I have started with Monza for the Sportscar mod, because I noticed that that's the track for which most new laptimes uploaded at the moment (apart from the standard GPL tracks that we already know since 1998....)

#23 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Apr 06 2011 - 10:36 AM

View PostEd Hut, on Apr 06 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

About the error with not getting the track promo list, I think I have found the cause. In the Javascript that the page uses to fetch the results, it uses "gplrank.info" as de servername, whereas GPLRank is officially hosted on "gplrank.schuerkamp.de". Some browsers, or plugins on browsers, do not allow data to be fetched from other sites unless the end user explicitly allows this.

I have changed the script to use gplrank.schuerkamp.de. Please let me know if this solved the issue.

Ed

PS: and start driving!
PS2: the feature supports all GPL mods (plus the original of course), but a track promotion can only be held for one version at a time. I have started with Monza for the Sportscar mod, because I noticed that that's the track for which most new laptimes uploaded at the moment (apart from the standard GPL tracks that we already know since 1998....)
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingoooooooooooooooooo works now very very good , Ed your are the Man :D
Some big greets may be placed here :hat-tip:

Edited by svenvangent, Apr 06 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#24 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Apr 07 2011 - 07:56 AM

I've just broken/inproved my old record at Monza 1000 K 67 with the Porsche 910 , So with a big big bigger smile :D  i went to GPLRank and uploadet my new improved time hoping to see it also in the promotion track 2011 but me saw nothing  :idunno: .

What must i do to see it also in the promo track 2011 list ?
greets

Update  :rolleyes: i have to be patience because every six hours the leadersboard is update :duh:
I have to read a little bit more careful .

Edited by svenvangent, Apr 07 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#25 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Apr 08 2011 - 03:37 AM

Hallo Ed ,

I would like to do a proposal/suggestion , why not making a Benchmark time behind the promotion tracks it would be more attracktive for the people to get involved .
If it would be a problemos to know which time to place behind a new track you can ask me ( ore someone els who wants to do it ) .
With this idea you could take for example 9 GT Tracks , for the 65ers 7 tracks and restard again or youcould do all GT tracks  and than all 65ers :idunno: .
For the moment i don't see manny people getting involved with the promo tracks .
Anyway , like i said it is a proposal/suggestion .
Greets  :hat-tip:

#26 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 08 2011 - 04:30 AM

I think there aren't many people involved because it is only now being promoted in the news section at GPL rank. I think if Ed starts to post the results much the same as we see the new world record holders at the site it will attract more people.

#27 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted Apr 08 2011 - 06:49 AM

View PostBurnsy865, on Apr 08 2011 - 04:30 AM, said:

I think there aren't many people involved because it is only now being promoted in the news section at GPL rank. I think if Ed starts to post the results much the same as we see the new world record holders at the site it will attract more people.
Hallo Burnsy431 :P ,

Yes you are left/right it is only a begin but seeing something like Benchmark time plus a totaal of pionts oh these tracks would be fun .
He he one of my favorites is already there Pacific raceways Love this one .
greets

Edited by svenvangent, Apr 08 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#28 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Apr 09 2011 - 09:01 AM

I didn't realised we'd started until yesterday.
Andy

#29 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Apr 09 2011 - 11:02 PM

Hello everybody.

I'm very happy with the track promotions. So happy than I downloaded and am driving GT cars for first time only for the current one (actually I'm a big fan of Formula cars, especially the old '67 cars).

I'll surely be waiting the next promotions, starting with Pacific Raceways!

Cheers, Marcos.

#30 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Apr 14 2011 - 06:29 PM

Is there some track proposal for the next week?

Cheers, Marcos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links