- - - - -

Idea For New Gplrank Feature: Track Promotion For Lesser Known Tracks

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Idea For New Gplrank Feature: Track Promotion For Lesser Known Tracks (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Track Promotion via GPLRank and Twitter: good idea?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ed Hut

Ed Hut

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hi all,

I've been thinking about reviving the 'Track Promotion' feature of GPLRank's Big Brother, but then without the replay-data being uploaded by dedicated servers, but just based on uploaded laptimes to GPLRank. Here's why:
I think that there are many, many tracks in existence that a lot of people hardly ever drive on, which for quite a lot of tracks is a shame. I would like to stimulate people to drive on those tracks by means of organizing laptime competitions. That might take the following form:
1. Through some decision mechanism (via a forum maybe) tracks that are worthwhile to drive on, but have hardky any serious laptimes in the GPLRank database, are selected.
2. A track promo is started that will last a preset duration (e.a. a full week).
3. We might limit the GPL-version to be used, e.g. GT67, GPL65
4. People that want to compete drive the track and upload their laptime. They are expected to upload any improvement to their laptime a.s.a.p., so that others can see that the best times are and how they compare to others (kind of like what you can do with Multiple Choice Hell).
5. At the end of the period in which the track promo is run, the best driver will be known and they will receive nothing but generous bows from the other GPL-ers :-)
6. In order to keep everybody as up to date as possible, I plan to create a feed to Twitter on which all updates about new laptimes, current top-3, number of drivers competing, etcetera are tweeted. Use your iPad, iPhone, Android or whatever to view the updates and become motivated to put in some more laptimes and climb the leaderboard.

That's it for now. Please respond to this thread and post your ideas about such a track promotion feature.

Cheers,
Ed

#2 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 04:46 PM

Great idea, where else can we keep track apart from twitter? I don't use it, never will. I don't care about who had what for breakfast etc.  Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy :P

#3 Jumi2

Jumi2

Erzkanzler

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Guitars.

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 05:26 PM

Nice idea Ed :)

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me. As a TotalRanker I know there are a lot of tracks which I've enjoyed driving on which most people will never see. So promoting lesser-known tracks will open quite a few eyes.

That's one reason why I helped organise a vote on re-organising the TotalRank in June of 2009. But despite getting a clear mandate among 30 TotalRank enthusiasts, that seemed to die a death without any update being implemented.

However, I do have a problem with Twitter. I have enough social networking stuff on my PC at the moment, and don't intend to use Twitter. Couldn't we get updates via a once-a-day post here on SRMZ instead?

Edited by Saiph, Dec 09 2010 - 06:27 PM.

#5 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 07:19 PM

I like the idea too, Ed. It would probably be too hard to implement but I'd also like to do an online race at the end of the week just to make good use of all that lapping.

I have to agree with the other guys on the Twitter. I don't need it cos I always have the same thing for brekky. (Juice, Muesli and black tea, just for Burnsy's info)  ;)

#6 svenvangent

svenvangent

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:GPl natuurlijk .... what else !
    And Projectcars perhaps !
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Dec 09 2010 - 07:36 PM

Yes that a good idea ,and what frenchy mention about a online race at the end that would be also a good idea .
greets  :hat-tip:

Edited by svenvangent, Dec 09 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#7 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 01:58 AM

View PostSaiph, on Dec 09 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

Sounds like a good idea to me. As a TotalRanker I know there are a lot of tracks which I've enjoyed driving on which most people will never see. So promoting lesser-known tracks will open quite a few eyes.

That's one reason why I helped organise a vote on re-organising the TotalRank in June of 2009. But despite getting a clear mandate among 30 TotalRank enthusiasts, that seemed to die a death without any update being implemented.

However, I do have a problem with Twitter. I have enough social networking stuff on my PC at the moment, and don't intend to use Twitter. Couldn't we get updates via a once-a-day post here on SRMZ instead?

yep, i voted "AYE" yesterday as well and i agree on tw@tter. how about a RSS feed on here? would that make sense? i mean, not that i really know what that is or how it works, but supposedly you can get fast info that way. and you can subscribe it like tw@tter

#8 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 02:05 AM

Yes, I'd like to be involved in this.
Andy.

#9 DHosein

DHosein

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:GPL: TotalRank

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 03:32 AM

Yes, yes! definately. And the end of week race is a great idea too. Anything to encourage more mad totalrank nutters!

#10 Dark - guest

Dark - guest
  • Guests

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 04:14 AM

Sounds good to me. I'd even register with Twitter  :thumbup:

#11 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 04:48 AM

A RSS Feed would be fine or something done with Facebook. Reason to include Facebook/Twitter for me is to generate some more 'wawes' in the internet ocean for Google/Bing and co to bring GPL back into memory :)
I don't use Twitter but all this stuff is generating 'noise' for other lurkers ;) IMO

#12 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 07:01 AM

Go for it, I'm all for the unknown !  :report:  
I will not use twitter but if it can cause some bigger waves around, just do it! :punk:

#13 vosblod - guest

vosblod - guest
  • Guests

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 08:24 AM

I think it's a great idea although I'd be competing to stay off the bottom slot.
I don't do breakfast (Twitter) but I was pursuaded to do lunch (Facebook) so if it links to that all the better.

An online race at the end is interesting time allowing.

#14 Jumi2

Jumi2

Erzkanzler

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Guitars.

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 08:45 AM

You dont have to use twitter to view a stream there. Actually a gplrank twitter would be the first one i would have a look at :)
Just combine as many feeds as you can, rss is certainly also a good idea.

#15 benzman

benzman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything about the real world as opposed to fantasy.

Posted Dec 10 2010 - 01:34 PM

View PostBurnsy865, on Dec 09 2010 - 04:46 PM, said:

Great idea, where else can we keep track apart from twitter? I don't use it, never will. I don't care about who had what for breakfast etc.  Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy :P
With you all the way!  I am a Grumpy Old Man too.  Well, I've earned it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links