ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends ,history
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 10:33 AM

hello, I 've been trying to download the 4 tasman tracks that are available but the links don't work on most of them, does anybody have a link to
Lakeside  1967   Lakeside International
Levin     Tasman Racing Series  
Wigram Airfield  1968   14th Lady Wigram Trophy  

Thanks in advance

#2 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 10:43 AM

View Postozpata, on Aug 05 2010 - 10:33 AM, said:

hello, I 've been trying to download the 4 tasman tracks that are available but the links don't work on most of them, does anybody have a link to
Lakeside  1967   Lakeside International
Levin     Tasman Racing Series  
Wigram Airfield  1968   14th Lady Wigram Trophy  

Thanks in advance

I will  check with John Woods, as the link isn 't working at GPL Links

Edited by M Needforspeed, Aug 05 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#3 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Aug 05 2010 - 11:03 AM

It looks like Ben's website has gone down again. It did this a few months ago and it was off for about 24 hours and then came back. I probably wouldn't panic too much just yet.

Rob

#4 ozpata

ozpata

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends ,history

Posted Aug 11 2010 - 06:25 AM

Well, the site is still down, anybody have those tracks that I was looking for? thanks

Lakeside 1967 Lakeside International
Levin Tasman Racing Series
Wigram Airfield 1968 14th Lady Wigram Trophy

Edited by ozpata, Aug 11 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#5 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Aug 11 2010 - 01:01 PM

You can find this tracks here
http://www.tasman-se...isc/gpl/gpl.htm

#6 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Jan 01 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hey all

what is the status of this mod is it still in the works or what

please say its still on the go

fingers crossed

thx

Edited by Brocky05, Jan 01 2011 - 06:46 AM.

#7 Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:GTR2, rFactor, BTB, and (thanks to the GPLEA) GPL!

Posted Feb 05 2013 - 04:36 PM

What about the Longford circuit, so wonderfully crafted for rFactor and GTR2 (and GTL?). Has anyone approached woochoo about converting it for GPL?

Wiki: "The outright lap record of 2:12.6 set by New Zealand’s Chris Amon in a Ferrari P4 sports car at the final meeting was, with an average lap speed of 122.2 mph (196.62 km/h), the fastest lap record for any Australian circuit at the time and would remain so until the opening of the new Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit at Albert Park in Victoria in 1996."

#8 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Feb 05 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostWee Scot, on Feb 05 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

What about the Longford circuit, so wonderfully crafted for rFactor and GTR2 (and GTL?). Has anyone approached woochoo about converting it for GPL?
Unfortunately, although they can convert GPL tracks to rF and GTR2 it's not possible to go back the other way :(

The link for the Tasman site above is dead. Didn't someone (Bill perhaps?) try to preserve it somewhere?

Cheers
David

Edit: Found it here (minus the GPL stuff which Bill has saved, thanks Bill :) )

Edited by Frenchy, Feb 05 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#9 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted Feb 05 2013 - 09:23 PM

Have a look here at this thread for some disguised GPL tracks you can use for the time being for the missing Tasman Tracks

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8697

Edited by davef, Feb 05 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#10 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostFrenchy, on Feb 05 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Unfortunately, although they can convert GPL tracks to rF and GTR2 it's not possible to go back the other way :(

The link for the Tasman site above is dead. Didn't someone (Bill perhaps?) try to preserve it somewhere?

Cheers
David

Edit: Found it here (minus the GPL stuff which Bill has saved, thanks Bill :) )

As I understand it, the rFactor team included some members of the original GPL team who started work on the Longford for GPL project. I think that a number of the buildings from the GPL version appear in the rFactor version as do a lot of details from the research material gathered by the GPL team for their project which seems to have moved across to the rFactor project.

As David says, tools to go from GPL to other sims exist, but not the other way due to the fairly unique way that GPL tracks are made. Basically, in GPL you do not drive on the track surface/graphics that you are looking at in game, but actually on a separate, much smoother file that simulates the track surface. In other sims you are driving on the 3d model itself, hence direct imports from GPL can be very bumpy since you feel the polygons and the joins between them. I am guessing, although I do not actually know, that the rFactor team based their very original draft on the final GPL alpha version that the team had got to before they moved on, and then refined it into their final rFactor version, which I have to say looks absolutely stunning.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Feb 06 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#11 Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Feb 06 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

As I understand it, the rFactor team included some members of the original GPL team who started work on the Longford for GPL project. I think that a number of the buildings from the GPL version appear in the rFactor version as do a lot of details from the research material gathered by the GPL team for their project which seems to have moved across to the rFactor project.

Who were the fine gentlemen on the 'Longford for GPL project,' and why did they stop? Any chance of getting them to renew their efforts? It's so much fun driving this circuit in GTR2, and would be a BLAST in the GPL 1965 cars!

Another favorite circuit of mine in GTR2 is called 'Aus Lemans.' Wish someone would build THAT for GPL

#12 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 10:06 AM

They all moved on to pastures new a long time ago.

http://www.rfactorce...D=Longford 1967

A small number of building models are/were from an existing GPL wip (not made by me), and Gustaf from the team has allowed me to use some of the models (some of which have been replaced). thanks Gustaf!

Although from the same readme I was wrong and the rFactor track is scratch built, although presumably the author did also have access to the GPL WIP version for inspriation.

A scratch built Longford 1967-ish. Public roads around Longford, Tasmania, used for the Tasman Series, touring cars and bikes in the 50's and 60's. Some top line drivers raced there in the day, including a bunch of F1 world champs.

The circuit was last used for the 1968 event, and these days some of the the roads have changed. Some bits of road have been torn up for the sake of a highway. both bridges have been pulled down. a big levee wall has raised a section of road. isolated bits of road have been neglected and in one area there is a power substation right in the middle of the track. Fortunately the pub is still there and features a sort of museum dedicated to the track.

Made with Bob's Track Builder & 3dsMax.
v0.9 used some grass textures from VLM Rouen with permission, thanks VLM, Elwood and Madhorse. Most textures are now scratch-made.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Feb 06 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#13 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Feb 06 2013 - 08:17 PM

Rob

Does the GPL Alpha of this track still exist somewhere?

From the old Tasman site or maybe RSC I can remember there being some clipping issues, that were trying to be overcome

Craig

#14 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 12:55 AM

These are the tracks I use for my own Tasman Season (TMSEASON).

Adelaide 1967
Amaroo Park 1967
Ardmore Aerodrome 1957
Bathurts, Mount Panorama
Diamante
Lakeside 1967
Levin Yasman Racing Series
Oran Park
Sandown International Raceway 1968
Surfers Paradise 1968
Wigram Airfield 1968

Nice serie of tracks to drive with the 65MOD.

Greetings, Marcel

#15 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,516 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 04:52 AM

the very strange thing is that Warwick Farm is yet a track to wish for !

#16 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostLarko29, on Feb 06 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Rob

From the old Tasman site or maybe RSC I can remember there being some clipping issues, that were trying to be overcome

Craig

Hi Craig,

Were you on the original team then or do you just have a good memory? :) I have the alpha that Monza Gorilla passed on to me with the consent of the original team who had all moved on from GPL by that point. To me, the layout they had seems pretty good and gives the right sorts of times in the right sorts of cars, although it might be a touch too quick, but then so is GPL at most tracks by around 4% IIRC. ;)

You are right about the clipping. The interesting thing about inheriting the project is that I got lots of experimental files from them of ways they tried to stop the viaduct from clipping by making it in various different ways. As a student of track making that is very interesting to see, although given all the things that they tried already, it is maybe not so obvious what to try next to fix it. :think: In some ways it is often easiest to just restart a project rather than trying to pick it up where someone else left off, although given all of the work already put into this one that would be a shame.

Having got Surfers Paradise finished, I had hoped it would kick start a programme to get the remaining "missing" Tasman tracks completed. I have alphas for all four remaining missing tracks in fact, including Warwick Farm. :) The problem is that after finishing Surfers there was a certain amount of burnout and since then, despite best intentions I have had very little free time to get stuck into any of those four, (or indeed another two or three) ongoing track projects. It remains my intention that eventually all of these projects will be completed, if only that I have enough personal investment already in these projects that I don't want to go to waste. Just need to get some free time...

Rob

#17 Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 02:31 PM

Great news, Rob! Thanks for that perspective. I can appreciate how the intensity of track building (and problem solving) can lead to burnout. I only spent a few hundred hours in 2007 using the development version(s) of BTB to construct alphas of fictional circuits based on the real streets of Caribbean island capitals, and burned out just as the scenery-building features of BTB were coming into maturity. I keep thinking I'll renew my BTB license and get back up to speed, but I haven't done it yet... And I only came close to beta versions with two of my circuits: Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe, and Kingston, Jamaica. People who drove them told me they were great, but I never got beyond rudimentary trackside details. Don't know anything (yet) about using the "serious" tools of the track builder.

Good luck with finding that free time...

#18 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Feb 07 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Feb 07 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

View PostLarko29, on Feb 06 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Rob

Craig

Hi Craig,

Were you on the original team then or do you just have a good memory? :) I have the alpha that Monza Gorilla passed on to me with the consent of the original team who had all moved on from GPL by that point. To me, the layout they had seems pretty good and gives the right sorts of times in the right sorts of cars, although it might be a touch too quick, but then so is GPL at most tracks by around 4% IIRC. ;)

You are right about the clipping. The interesting thing about inheriting the project is that I got lots of experimental files from them of ways they tried to stop the viaduct from clipping by making it in various different ways. As a student of track making that is very interesting to see, although given all the things that they tried already, it is maybe not so obvious what to try next to fix it. :think: In some ways it is often easiest to just restart a project rather than trying to pick it up where someone else left off, although given all of the work already put into this one that would be a shame.

Having got Surfers Paradise finished, I had hoped it would kick start a programme to get the remaining "missing" Tasman tracks completed. I have alphas for all four remaining missing tracks in fact, including Warwick Farm. :) The problem is that after finishing Surfers there was a certain amount of burnout and since then, despite best intentions I have had very little free time to get stuck into any of those four, (or indeed another two or three) ongoing track projects. It remains my intention that eventually all of these projects will be completed, if only that I have enough personal investment already in these projects that I don't want to go to waste. Just need to get some free time...

Rob

Hi Rob

No just can remember reading about it on the old Tasman site which had some screenshots of the WIP progress for the circuit.

If you ever get the motivation to complete the Tasman projects I'd love to be involved. :hat-tip:

Craig

#19 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 08 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostLarko29, on Feb 07 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

If you ever get the motivation to complete the Tasman projects I'd love to be involved. :hat-tip:
Craig

I would love to be involved again too Rob, just ignore the fact that my contributions are usually quite small :o  Larko wouldn't mind working with me, I used to let him beat me in our league races on a regular basis :P

Edited by Burnsy865, Feb 08 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#20 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Feb 09 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yup, I already have in mind to get you guys involved once I have something for you to look at and work on. :)

Rob

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links