Nokiabrier

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Curling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 02 2013 - 07:58 PM

If they're not in the sound folder, they're in the sound.dat file :) GPL overwrites the dat file with the wav files into the sound folder. So if a sound is not into the folder, it's read from the dat !

#22 Chris Amon

Chris Amon

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:GPL.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Sep 03 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostNokiabrier, on Sep 02 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

If they're not in the sound folder, they're in the sound.dat file :) GPL overwrites the dat file with the wav files into the sound folder. So if a sound is not into the folder, it's read from the dat !

Thanks for the explanation. Now I'm even more intrigued but don't feel you have to answer this one: how does the system create a sounds from data in a dat file?

#23 bingo

bingo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Touring cars, Music

Posted Sep 03 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostChris Amon, on Sep 01 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Thank you, I like your skid sounds.

I've also been trying some of your sounds from your 'complete soundset' package. Fantastic stuff! I love the grass, fire, and various hit sounds. Perhaps the gearshift sound is a little on the quiet side for me but I've sampled all of them and I like them. I'm intrigued about something though, my old sounds folder did not contain any gearshift or grass or fire sounds but I used to hear them (certainly the fire one and gearshift), how come? If I didn't overwrite what did not exist before, how do your sounds work?
I'm happy that you like the sounds - it's good to know that it was worth my time :)
And the .dat thing I think is just the original sounds from 1998 gpl compressed but overridden by any sounds with the same name as the compressed ones in the folder. Probably.

Edited by bingo, Sep 03 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#24 Nokiabrier

Nokiabrier

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted Sep 16 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Postbingo, on Sep 03 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

And the .dat thing I think is just the original sounds from 1998 gpl compressed but overridden by any sounds with the same name as the compressed ones in the folder. Probably.
I would have said the same thing, so that feels accurate ;)

#25 Nokiabrier

Nokiabrier

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted Oct 05 2013 - 07:16 PM

View Postbingo, on Aug 08 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

The sounds are already sound adjusted  :rolleyes:  
It'll take a while for me to change the file type and keep the pitch the same. I'll do it when I have some time to spare.
(I thought that [8 bit 44,100Hz] was essentially [16 bit 22,050Hz] anyway but there you go.)
(Sorry for the double post)

I tried your Ferrari sound in-game and the revs seemed to stop increasing at 10,000 RPM. The replay file I used was from Spa and I use a short 5th gear, so the rev sound would not decrease along with the actual rev figure when shifting 5th from 4th. So I made a quick conversion to 16 bit@22,050Hz, and it worked like a charm. I could hear that Parkes onboard so well :) ok, on another track, but you get my point :) Thanks again for your work bingo. And all other sound gurus for that matter :) You're what makes my GPL67 feel renewed every time I play it !

#26 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Nov 13 2016 - 10:12 PM

a question about GPL and sounds with windows10

when i had winXP the sounds played thru all 6 speakers. i had my speakers (including sub woofer) giving a most glorious sound while driving.
i've since upgraded to win10 and tho the sounds are similar i can only get the 2 side speakers (and possibly main center one) to output sounds :(

i''m told that GPL is so old that newer OS can't split the sounds and so interpret them as only mono ... understand please, i'm not 100% sure of what i'm talking about except than in XP the sounds came from all speakers and now in w10 they don't.
the soundcard is the same.. the soundcard driver is the same.

my question is: could the GPL sounds be the problem? if i changed them all to STEREO would that get all 6 speakers to deliver sound?

#27 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,914 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 07:25 AM

Bo, I cannot answer to your question but sure thing ( I guess... :P ) is that the soundcard driver is not the same.
Win 10 has a whole set of drivers specific for the operating system and the majority come with win 10 itself.

#28 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 2,069 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 07:38 AM

View Postginetto, on Nov 14 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

Bo, I cannot answer to your question but sure thing ( I guess... :P ) is that the soundcard driver is not the same.
Win 10 has a whole set of drivers specific for the operating system and the majority come with win 10 itself.

That could be the reason.
The default drivers Windows 10 is using might not be the best.
I would check on the homepage of the soundcard builder for the latest driver for Windows 10 (I guess you run 64-bit).
In case it is an onboard card check for driver updates of the Mainboard builder.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Nov 16 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#29 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 08:38 AM

in XP my soundcard (SB Audigy2) with the driver for it ... when i first got W10, the sound chip from 'on board' was horrible. so i transferred the SB card from the XP motherboard to the w10 motherboard.
the driver at the time (default) was not the same, but i went online and got the same driver.

i've not gone back to verify there is a later/better driver, but to my knowledge at the time, it was the latest.
thanks for the suggestion!

#30 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 12:56 PM

XP had a way better sound system, the sound hardware was supported only by drivers of the manufactorers.
W7 took away the hardware acceleration of the soundchip and made a low level sound engine that fitted also the low end onboard soundchips.

W8/10 made a melange of both...

Make shure you have shut off all sound enhancements in your windows!
In german...
Posted Image

#31 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 14 2016 - 08:11 PM

thanks Cookie.. but other than your comment 'turn off all (ALL?) sound enhancements'  i don't know what any of the German settings are on your screenie :P
my soundcard options are not close to looking like yours :(

#32 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Nov 15 2016 - 04:58 AM

This is W7 options, not Creative soundcard options!

Right click on the speaker symbol in the tray, sound devices...

Sorry I have only german OS

#33 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 421 posts

Posted Nov 15 2016 - 11:36 AM

ok...yes W10 options.. but all is as i said. it is configured correctly, in 'test' i hear all speakers!
in music, or web sites with sound i hear sounds from necessary speakers.
but in GPL.. only left and right speakers.

i just read elsewhere on SRMZ that suggested 8 be the number of sounds in GPL
i thought (long ago) it was to have 4... i believe that is where i am....so i will try 8 and see if that makes any change :)

#34 bingo

bingo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted Jan 11 2019 - 10:44 PM

Hello! I'm back (for better or worse).
There are many problems I need to fix with this sound set (other than the fact the engine sounds might be too loud compared to newer mods/general balance), but I'll start with the non-engine sounds - mostly making them sound better from inside the cars. With these new sounds, I'm keeping the volume balance somewhere between 67s and the mods - currently 67s engines are much louder than any other mod, which might be realistic, but due to this be aware that these sound effects might not be heard much when you're screaming through the masta kink and along the straight (or into a house).

Fire
Luckily for the driver, fires in GPL always burn out after a little while. What this means for us is that I can add a nice scary Grand Prix style "WHOOMF" to the start so you really know when your engine catches fire. I did this one a while back, I just filtered out some high frequencies and added a bit of car body reverb for this today - let me know if you want a re-do.

scr_pave
My old pavement scrape sound was weird in that the sound needs to loop (unlike the fire sound if you make it long enough), but I stupidly put something at the start of it. Now it should always sound like the body scraping the pavement - should be loud enough to tell whenever the body is making sparks against the road. I'll leave the rail scape as is for now - it's a bit goofy sometimes (in the sportscars particularly) compared to other sounds but it's also the only surviving original GPL sound in the directory! I think I would rather there was a specific hit sound for armco barriers instead of a specific scrape sound, but there you go.

hit_hard, hit_med, hit_soft, hit_fenc
The hard hit sound was a little annoying, mainly because previously I tried to make it explode-y so it sounded right when your engine blows up. The explosion at the start made it a irritating to watch a replay when changing views near a crash. This one just sounds like a single hit of crushing metal/fibreglass without the extra stuff (I'm very tempted to make one that sounds like bodywork/metal rubbing against tyres for a minute following the impact, but this one will do for now, and will probably be less annoying in replays and situations where you've stopped than that future one).
Also, I changed the medium and soft hits to work better at being soft and medium, and just today made a more rattly catch fencing/marker stick noise to work with them. Bumping another car for some reason nearly always plays the hard hit sound.
They are a slight compromise timbre-wise between enclosed and open cockpits, but I think it's alright.
As ever with GPL, hit sounds (after a hard crash, especially into something soft like a fence or a sign) still sometimes play multiple times over each other - I have absolutely no idea why (though it is much better since I got it through my thick skull to use the correct format!).

grass, gravel
The harsh annoying gravel/grass sound was long overdue for a change - it just sounds awful in the GT cars and only really sounds good for 67s in chase view (and who races in that view?). This new one should suit sitting inside a car a little better; It has some reverb added, and I've filtered out some unnecessary bass and treble. I've still kept the grass using the same sound as well, this is a personal preference - just so I know I've hit the grass on the inside/outside of a curve. It was the same in my last one as well mainly because a few tracks assign gravel as a grass surface (and vice versa in the case of spa 67) to make it easier/harder to drive out of. I just wish that the sound played based on car velocity regardless of direction instead of using a threshold of rear wheel speed.

Install Instructions:
To install the new sounds, extract the contents of the zip folder to your "/GPL/sound" directory, taking care to make backups of your original sounds before you do in case you don't like these ones.

Side note:
Due to the way the GPL audio engine deals with overloading/clipping audio once it is mixed (i.e. that it compresses the audio when many sounds are present), if you like changes in dynamics (read: volume) I would recommend setting the volume slider in the options menu to about 1/4 of the maximum. This lets things get very loud when there's a full 16 sound grid without everything staying the same volume once they leave and you're on your own.

Side side notes:
I lost my last account (Bingo). [Edit: My profile is back! Thanks guys!]

I hope you like the sounds. I'm not sure what I'll re-do next. Maybe I'll make a quieter engine version of the pack to fit with the other mods if you all want me to, or more likely a quick pass to make sure all the engine noises are the right format. I might include a "fixed" 67 historic pack with some changed sounds too.
I also have a BRM sound taken directly from the film Grand Prix, if you are interested (it sounds very similar to the 67 historic one if I'm honest, just with less noise and at a slightly different pitch compared to every other car to fit with how high the car revved in the movie). Also, if I was updating the pack I'd include skid and/or wind sounds from newer mods (though I must say I like the default GPL wind noise (maybe I should make a stereo version of it some time) which I hadn't heard before since the first version I played was the 2004 demo).

Anyway, enjoy them.

Attached File  Small Sound Update.zip   15.71MB   52 downloads

Edited by bingo, Jan 12 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#35 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it

Posted Jan 11 2019 - 11:13 PM

Many many thanks Bingo !! :thumbup:

I'm always curious of sounds update, seeing that this is perhaps not the strongest point of GPL...

It give me also the possibility to thank you for your really great sound pack realized some years ago... :hat-tip: I wasn't there at that time...
You have a lot of talent Bingo and this is a real gift to know that you're back in this so little island (almost deserted) called SRMZ...

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:   BINGO !!! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Edited by db312, Jan 11 2019 - 11:15 PM.

#36 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 07:56 AM

bingo, those are really nice external sound effects files !!  They are super expressive and add to the in-cockpit experience.

Well done!  Thank you.  :)

#37 deegee

deegee

• Supporter
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Grand Prix racing in the 60s.

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 10:23 AM

Many thanks for these. I agree with Greg, these sounds really add to the sense of immersion especially when you are in the cockpit.

#38 bingo

bingo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys, glad you like them! I may have learned a thing or two about audio while I was away.

#39 pioujd428

pioujd428

Chris

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:1967 and 1968

Posted Jan 12 2019 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for those updated sounds Bingo. :thumbup: If you are looking for a new project how about an engine sound for the 68 Matra MS11 V12?

#40 PHI52

PHI52

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted Jan 13 2019 - 06:28 AM

:up:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links