G25 Buttons Suddenly Not Working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 28 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else recently, and wondering whether it might be related to a windows update. The buttons on my G25 wheel used to work for things like look left/right, reset car etc. etc., but now they totally refuse to work in game.

All is normal in the Logitech profiler and pushing buttons makes it point to the button pushed in the profiler software, and obviously the profiler software is also running, but, windows does not seem to recognise these button presses, so GPL does not act on them.

I wondered if anyone else had also previously had their G25 working fine, but then suddenly had the buttons stop work in game around about 1 to 2 weeks ago?

For the record I am running XP.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rob

#2 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 28 2012 - 04:43 PM

I did, BUT I set them again and all seems ok and I'm using 7.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 28 2012 - 05:31 PM

I have a different wheel, but the same problem. Sometimes they work, and other times they won't, but they always work in the profiler, and any other sim. It's something in GPL. I haven't found an answer.

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,327 posts

Posted Oct 28 2012 - 05:40 PM

I've never seen this with my G25.  All I can think of is that you imght have 2 applications running where the same button is used in both (GPL and GPLOMe or GPLShift maybe).  Try running GPL without the profiler.  I never have that running as it's not needed unless you're doing some tricky key re-assigning.

#5 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts

Posted Oct 28 2012 - 09:08 PM

Bob.......In my case i'll check the profiler and the buttons are all working. I'll go to setup menu in GPL, and a couple of buttons that i want to use won't work. I go back to profiler, and they're working. I don't have to run the profiler all the time.  Just when I want to make a change. I don't run anything else that has a key assigned. Very weird.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, Oct 28 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#6 Art-J

Art-J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, vintage motorsports, history.

Posted Oct 29 2012 - 03:22 AM

The question arises again, do you really need profiler at all. I've got G25 and Saitek's joystick, play 3 race sims and 1 flight sim and never had to install the profiler, because all settings I needed could be done on XPs "game controllers" window level or in the game itself.

Unless you have multiple Logitech controllers plugged to your PC or you want to use radically different button settings in, say, different rFactor mods, I don't really see the point of installing yet another utility, which takes away some resources of your hardware and, as we can see above, might cause some software mismatch problems.

Cheers.

#7 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 29 2012 - 05:21 AM

OK, I'll give it a shot with the profiler unloaded then, and I'll also try redefining all the buttons as Keith suggested in case that helps. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Rob

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,536 posts

Posted Oct 29 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostArt-J, on Oct 29 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

The question arises again, do you really need profiler at all. I've got G25 and Saitek's joystick, play 3 race sims and 1 flight sim and never had to install the profiler, because all settings I needed could be done on XPs "game controllers" window level or in the game itself.

Unless you have multiple Logitech controllers plugged to your PC or you want to use radically different button settings in, say, different rFactor mods, I don't really see the point of installing yet another utility, which takes away some resources of your hardware and, as we can see above, might cause some software mismatch problems.

Cheers.

I couldn't see another way to get the wheel setup on Win7. I don't always use GEM. I don't need to have it running for it to work, so I don't believe it's taking any resources.

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,327 posts

Posted Oct 29 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Oct 29 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I couldn't see another way to get the wheel setup on Win7. I don't always use GEM. I don't need to have it running for it to work, so I don't believe it's taking any resources.

Start > Devices and printers > G25 right click > Game controller settings

#10 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts

Posted Nov 08 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostBorder Reiver, on Oct 29 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

OK, I'll give it a shot with the profiler unloaded then, and I'll also try redefining all the buttons as Keith suggested in case that helps. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Rob
So how you getting on?

#11 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Nov 08 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi Keith,

I found a couple of things. The profiler had first stopped automatically loading, which I have now fixed, and it had stopped applying my persistent GPL profile, which I have also now fixed. :)

I went through and reassigned the buttons again and they now all work again.

The only further thing I have noticed is that I now must double click to open the profiler from the system tray before starting GPL in order for the buttons to work, simply having it preloaded in the system tray does not make GPL notice it. Even so, double clicking the black W in the system tray and then closing that window again is no great hardship in order to have all the buttons working again. :)

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Nov 08 2012 - 04:27 AM.

#12 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts

Posted Nov 09 2012 - 05:01 AM

cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic