Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I love classic racing.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 14 2020 - 08:12 PM

Looking at the GPL Links website a lot of links to cornering lead to simply how to trail brake and take a corner cleanly. I have a decent idea of this from other sims, yet when I look at videos of drivers on GPL going around corners—specifically Watkins Glenn—these people are doing something extra. Some clips show these people adding almost some kind of countersteer through their turn. There's something extra going on here and I can't figure it out. I'm looking at the braking and sometimes these people will brake way past the apex when I've learned not to brake past the apex on most occasions. Can someone give me tips and guidelines to tune my car and drive for this kind of performance.

#2 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 05:56 AM

Can you show an example of one of these videos? Perhaps we can have a look and explain what is going on!

#3 Tom312

Tom312

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Simracing and motorports

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 06:55 AM

The "countersteer through turn" thing might be what is called the 4-wheel drift, possibly the fastest way to go through a turn with these cars. I notice I'm a lot faster when I get the car drifting through some turns and balance it on the throttle.

I see it as very similar to the way rally drivers approach corners in terms of speed and reaction.

Edited by Tom312, Jan 15 2020 - 06:56 AM.

#4 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 07:36 AM

View PostDunderbolt, on Jan 14 2020 - 08:12 PM, said:

Looking at the GPL Links website a lot of links to cornering lead to simply how to trail brake and take a corner cleanly. I have a decent idea of this from other sims, yet when I look at videos of drivers on GPL going around corners—specifically Watkins Glenn—these people are doing something extra. Some clips show these people adding almost some kind of countersteer through their turn. There's something extra going on here and I can't figure it out. I'm looking at the braking and sometimes these people will brake way past the apex when I've learned not to brake past the apex on most occasions. Can someone give me tips and guidelines to tune my car and drive for this kind of performance.
people who brake past the apex use differential setting like 30/60 (smaller first ramp then the second)  ,with that kind of setting people keep the foot on the gaz all the time and brake at the same time, efficient but completely unrealistic  ,nobody ever drove a formula car like that in real life and only possible because brake fading is not modelize one of the main flaw  of GPL, use 85/45 or 85/30 setting you wont beat world record but it will more fun and realistic

#5 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 07:41 AM

as for the countersteer  its a question of chassis setup too, default setup are uber  understeering  ,to be drivable by beginners  and very slow , first thing to do is to stiff a lot the roll bar  a lot ,theres many setup on the web

#6 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 11:08 AM

Yeah here. Sorry for the weird quality. GPL scales in a different resolution so I had to mess around, sorry if it isn't aligned completely right https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#7 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 11:41 AM

the best time at GPrank  at Watkins glen on a eagle 67 is around 1.03 , dont expect  to achieve that easily ,it take work ,time .like i said theres many setup around on the net heres one ,ididnt drive  much the eagle but i recall that his Watkins glen setups were good

Attached Files

Edited by KARTM, Jan 16 2020 - 11:42 AM.

#8 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 11:44 AM

View PostKARTM, on Jan 16 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

the best time at GPrank  at Watkins glen on a eagle 67 is around 1.03 , dont expect  to achieve that easily ,it take work ,time .like i said theres many setup around on the net heres one ,ididnt drive  much the eagle but i recall that his Watkins glen setups were good

Anything on how I take corners, I noticed I messed up a few times. Literally just found out about the setup editor, been only using the in-game one. Got me excited a bit about it. Trying to use it with other mods gives me an error though

Edited by Dunderbolt, Jan 16 2020 - 12:08 PM.

#9 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 717 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 12:41 PM

Load up Zandvoort. Through the dunes section, don't worry about your lap time but practice suddenly lifting off the throttle just before each turn. This kicks the back out.
Now try lifting off a little less each lap and you'll find it becomes a smooth process between turns.
That's how the penny dropped for me.

#10 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Jan 16 2020 - 05:24 PM

View PostJonnyA, on Jan 16 2020 - 12:41 PM, said:

Load up Zandvoort. Through the dunes section, don't worry about your lap time but practice suddenly lifting off the throttle just before each turn. This kicks the back out.
Now try lifting off a little less each lap and you'll find it becomes a smooth process between turns.
That's how the penny dropped for me.

Will do. Thanks for the help

#11 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Jan 22 2020 - 08:58 PM

Sorry for the Necropost. After practicing on Zandvoort to nail down throttle control, I'm becoming pretty happy with it. I went back to Watkins Glenn and when my total hit 1:07:54, my fastest ever on the track. I was struggling to the point I was actually barely licking 1:07:98 now I can more reliably reach the 1:07 mark. I dunno how much of an improvement this was when I first started playing the game back in November of last year and I could only hit 1:10 mark.

#12 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jan 23 2020 - 04:04 AM

I found that me being able to run confidently and reliably was the most important thing. When I first started at Zandvoort I was running about 1:32, so I set out to just do Int Short races and simply not spin. This meant running 1:33's, but the consistency it gave me eventually lead to me dropping times way down. Times are not the most important thing, it's all about consistancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links