Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 05:42 AM

Cookie, on Jun 06 2019 - 05:22 AM, said:

I did some Alfa T33 practice last night too and had several CTDs when crashing.

I was on the same server (60 FPS) last night with Cookie, driving the Porsche of the new SCx mod and I also had some CTDs.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jun 06 2019 - 09:59 AM.

#62 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 06:57 AM

I think we all have to remember that GPL is now over 20 years old. I really appreciate the miracles that track builders, car builders and mod builders can create with a sim which is that old. The updates we've had over the years have been amazing, and I bet there are very few people who could have predicted back in 1998 what GPL is capable of in 2019. And if we have to make a few compromises and deal with an occasional bug to enjoy amazing driving and amazing racing, then I am certainly not going to complain. Hopefully the occasional CTD will calm down my kamikaze driving style and ultimately improve my lap times! (Although I am not going to give up having a nice taste of warm Sake occasionally! :lol: :cheers:)

#63 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 07:01 AM

OK I see that it might be some car sets not others, however if changing the "abruptness" of the draw distance drop off might fix things, I can easily make some adjustments and then change a TV 1 cam or two to hide any pop ups.

First though, I need to be sure I know exactly where these CTD's occur. All of them. Then I can do a new track3DO for those people to try and report back. It will be without track sounds as they are a pain to manually include and have to be added only when a final compile is done. ie Every new compile of the track removes them.

To be clear though, changing the draw distances and making a new track 3do does not change the driving environment in any way, for that is governed by the separate trk file, which will remain unchanged.

Please report Exactly where your CTD's are by reference to distance from a very specific corner, or better still, a screen shot in forward view at the spot, by PM to me.

Thanks

#64 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 07:34 AM

Alfa T33 SC MOD
so far crashing at :
  • East Mountain Gate
  • Bungalow
caused CTD; didn't go further than that...

Then I switched to a simplified cockpit 3do using the same car and crashed all around the wonderful scenery; no more CTDs.

We might think to build some simple cockpit 3dos for these cars to use when on these type of tracks (SPA 67 is another monster for GPL graphic engine) more than change anything on this track. :think:

#65 Keyser Zose

Keyser Zose

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 07:39 AM

What an incredible job and wonderful masterpiece this is. Unbelievable stuff. Speechless. A million thanks for your wonderful creation and massive effort!

#66 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 07:55 AM

Jim Pearson, on Jun 06 2019 - 05:04 AM, said:

I guess what is happening is that as you pass that point, GPL is dropping from view, about 1200 to 1800 metres of track in the rear view, but if you spin there, you suddenly change your forward view to the rear and GPL cant redraw the track fast enough. Who knows.

Yes I think that's exactly what's happening!

The CTD's were atypical, as the gplsc.exe just stopped working looking in the other direction.

#67 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 07:59 AM

Jim, if I get more CTDs I will try to gather as much info as I can and get it to you. My bet is that most (if not all) the CTDs will come from the GT/GTX mods. Although in theory both Can-Am mods may be prone to CTDs, I don't remember having many (if any) problems with them. But as you said, the location is the important thing, so I will try to nail that down as closely as possible.

YES! The new course is now in GPLRank! Thank you! :up:

Edited by Saiph, Jun 06 2019 - 11:43 AM.

#68 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 08:12 AM

CTD or freeze when spinning or crashing is a GPL problem not specific to Jim's new EXCELLENT track. It happens to me at other tracks.
I had freeze half way through a spin at Hockenheim earlier this week.

Try not to crash.

You win more races that way ;)

Paul

#69 delgs

delgs

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 08:22 AM

WOW WOW WOW. Just downloaded and driven my first lap. That has got to be the fastest, most terrifying track to drive in GPL! Also incredibly beautiful and graphically detailed. All the bumps, cambers, elevations, it's all there, and every bit of roadside scenery beautifully represented. I love the mountain mist effect, very realistic and atmospheric.....and the whole thing is just beautiful to drive. The Options Manager is a leap forward in GPL tech, too, making it simplicity itself to switch between the various graphical options.
All in all, an absolute masterpiece, a tour de force from a master track builder.
Thank you, Jim Pearson, for this monumental contribution to the world of GPL!

#70 albergman

albergman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:GPL photography windsurfing sailing

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 08:23 AM

Let's start with the positives ... this track is so-o-o-o wonderful!!    It's so beautiful to look at too and it's fast(er) and more flowing than the old IOM and I love it!

Started off in my favourite 55 Lancia D50 just cruising off the start line then ... oh, let's give it some wellie ... and crashed.  Cruised a lot after that ... just enjoying the views, then at Kirkmichael I even turned around and drove back through the town admiring the care and attention to details that Jim has lavished on it and did the same at Ramsey too.   Even went down a couple of side streets to see what's out there.   Kept coming to scenes that reminded me of the old circuit then it all changed again but for the better.   Lots of birds (buzzards?) planes and helicopters up in the sky and muddy tire tracks crossing the track at one place ... such details!  

I know nothing about designing tracks so I can't even begin to imagine the thinking and planning that went into creating this monumental project.   I think we all owe it to Jim to slow down now and again just to admire what he has made for us.  

Having said all that ... once I got to the mountain and started to open 'er up a bit (less to see here) I had many crashes and almost all gave a CTD.   I can say that, in my 4 hours seat time, I never was able to get in a complete lap without one while all crashes before the mountain were shift/R fixed, so Jim's theory about polygons is probably correct.    If I have to slow down then so be it!    

A nice finding was that the track is so much more open and flowing that the brakes on the Lancia were less of a problem than on the old circuit.

I humbly add my thanks to Jim.

Frank

#71 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 976 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 09:20 AM

Thank you so very much Jim!

Rob

#72 Matthias

Matthias

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 10:28 AM

Thank you so much Jim for this impressive masterpiece!

Matthias

#73 guiporsche

guiporsche

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 10:35 AM

Christmas in June, already? Go figure...Thank you very much Jim!

#74 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 11:02 AM

albergman, on Jun 06 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Let's start with the positives ... this track is so-o-o-o wonderful!! It's so beautiful to look at too and it's fast(er) and more flowing than the old IOM and I love it!

Started off in my favourite 55 Lancia D50 just cruising off the start line then ... oh, let's give it some wellie ... and crashed.  Cruised a lot after that ... just enjoying the views, then at Kirkmichael I even turned around and drove back through the town admiring the care and attention to details that Jim has lavished on it and did the same at Ramsey too.   Even went down a couple of side streets to see what's out there.   Kept coming to scenes that reminded me of the old circuit then it all changed again but for the better.   Lots of birds (buzzards?) planes and helicopters up in the sky and muddy tire tracks crossing the track at one place ... such details!  

I know nothing about designing tracks so I can't even begin to imagine the thinking and planning that went into creating this monumental project.   I think we all owe it to Jim to slow down now and again just to admire what he has made for us.  

Having said all that ... once I got to the mountain and started to open 'er up a bit (less to see here) I had many crashes and almost all gave a CTD.   I can say that, in my 4 hours seat time, I never was able to get in a complete lap without one while all crashes before the mountain were shift/R fixed, so Jim's theory about polygons is probably correct. If I have to slow down then so be it!

A nice finding was that the track is so much more open and flowing that the brakes on the Lancia were less of a problem than on the old circuit.

I humbly add my thanks to Jim.

Frank

Thanks for your comments , much appreciated.. Please advise carset(s)being used when you got the CTD's.  ALL or just some or just one?

#75 Cannylad

Cannylad

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL, P&G, rFactor HistoriX, Music, Gardening, Classic car restoration, Fixing things.

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 11:19 AM

Brilliant!
So far I’ve spent my time just pottering along, soaking up the scenery, in awe of the skill and attention to detail in creating this masterpiece! No crashes or CTDs for me! I’ll take a little more time admiring the scenery and atmosphere before I risk my life on a high speed run!!
Thank you Jim. Dedication personified!

#76 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,599 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 11:58 AM

Can only imagine the seconds before that single last click and those moments after while the final version was summing up the years of effort.

Big time respect.

Grats and thanks to you and Kenny, Lee, all those who helped you stay on to the finish.

Glad you made it to the end.
Whewie!
Amazing!
:D

Edited by John Woods, Jun 07 2019 - 07:02 AM.

#77 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 12:19 PM

I had a go at a fix for what may be the issues causing CTD's

Best to separate from this release thread I think, so please see the new CTD Fix thread.

#78 albergman

albergman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:GPL photography windsurfing sailing

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 12:46 PM

Jim Pearson, on Jun 06 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

Thanks for your comments , much appreciated.. Please advise carset(s)being used when you got the CTD's.  ALL or just some or just one?

All my CTD's were in the 55 Lancia and all were on the climb up the mountain.   Several other crashes earlier in the circuit had no CTD.

#79 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 01:34 PM

delgs, on Jun 06 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

WOW WOW WOW. Just downloaded and driven my first lap. That has got to be the fastest, most terrifying track to drive in GPL! Also incredibly beautiful and graphically detailed. All the bumps, cambers, elevations, it's all there, and every bit of roadside scenery beautifully represented. I love the mountain mist effect, very realistic and atmospheric.....and the whole thing is just beautiful to drive. The Options Manager is a leap forward in GPL tech, too, making it simplicity itself to switch between the various graphical options.
All in all, an absolute masterpiece, a tour de force from a master track builder.
Thank you, Jim Pearson, for this monumental contribution to the world of GPL!

Quite!

I think we all owe a big debt of gratitude to Lee Bowden for spending a lot of time and energy doing the coding for this; not an easy task, especially as I kept asking for more features as we developed it.

If he hadn't agreed to persevere with that, you would have been left with my original concept, which was cumbersome select all / copy /paste exercises from the AAIOM Options folder and separate Pace Notes and tack start programs!

I also think his track start and Pace Notes notes programs included in that utility make it so much easier to learn initially. It would be good if there was some feedback on the pace notes for Lee once people try them out.

BTW there is an image of Lee and of Ken Murray in the track. Can you find them?

I will leave it to Lee to confirm if you have found him in there.

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 06 2019 - 01:39 PM.

#80 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,279 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jun 06 2019 - 01:45 PM

I heartily concur on all that you mention, JIm.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lee included a Pace Note - "Lee after next bend."   ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links