Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Art 3D Graphics, Vintage F1, Guitar building and repair
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 07 2020 - 06:10 PM

Hi all,
I left Windows behind in 2000 as my main PC.  I did keep a Windows box up and running when I was editing rFactor.  I kept GPL on my system and ran it regularly to keep a benchmark to what I thought a mod should strive for.

That was then...  Now I don't run any sims and have been yearning to get back and drive GPL again, ESPECIALLY since the 55 mod came out.

I saw the thread on installing it on Linux but am curious how many are using Linux and more importantly is how it runs.  My machine spec's are more than enough to handle it since I do 3D graphics.

Help and suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
Bob

#2 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:hiking, mountains, photography, social sciences
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 02:46 AM

Hi Bob,
I use Linux Mint and installed GPL last November because I was not able to make it run under Windows 7. I installed GPL via playonlinux and it works perfectly fine till now. (And I only use a five years old medium priced gaming laptop.) However, I only run the 67 F1 cars with the latest patch. I did not try any of the mods yet. And I did not try the 60fps patch.

The only thing you should consider is steering wheel support. Not every steering wheel will work under Linux. As far as I know Logitech G25, G27, G29 work perfectly. I use a thrustmaster steering wheel and I do not have force feedback unfortunatly.

Anything else you would like to know specifically?

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 07:30 AM

Gpl runs fine under wine, using the openGLV2 rasterizer with any NVidia GPU and proprietary NV driver,

I do online racing 60fps with an old i5 4670K and GTX 1060 6GB + 8GB DDR3RAM ( i3 4170 + GTX 960 2GB + 8GB RAM as reserve)

G25/27 work perfect and Fanatec GTR3 has also good FFB
Yes Thrustmaster ffb seems not supported

I just copy my W7 full installed GPL folder with all mods in .wine /C: and run the GEM2 installer.

Main problem, the same as in windows, is to get the GPU running in 3D mode. Therefore you have to push the AA settings to a high level.

I don't use playonlinux I just run .exe in wine. All installer + mods are working.

PS

just a snapshot of my office PC with windowed wine...

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Feb 08 2020 - 07:40 AM.

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 10:08 AM

I just joined UKGPL_4 server in iGOR with the 55 mod...

Attached Files

#5 Bob Russell

Bob Russell

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Art 3D Graphics, Vintage F1, Guitar building and repair
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 11:22 AM

I appreciate all of your speedy responses on this.   I was wondering about this for a while now,  I installed rFactor on my linux box a while ago but there were just too many little bugs to be any fun.   If it runs well I may just set up another box just for GPL.  I have a G25 and a G27 so it appears I won't have issues with feedback (one of the many issues with rF on Linux).

Now I just have to go through the prossess of refreshing my memory on installing GPL... ;)

Thanks guys,

Bob

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 11:45 AM

just get the CD, the all-in-one-installer 1.08 of Bernd Novak and the GEM+ installer and it's done in 10 minutes...

#7 prize

prize

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:GPL add-on tracks and mods

Posted Feb 08 2020 - 06:48 PM

To install the patched GPL demo on ubuntu linux, just download and unpack the tar.gz file here:
https://github.com/b...s-for-engineers

#8 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 02:14 AM

I recently reinstalled GPL on a new notebook and this time I used lutris instead of play_on_linux. I can very much recommend using lutris. For some reason the open gl v2 driver did not work with play_on_linux (I have nvidia graphics) on the new notebook (I had some FPS problems using the direct 3d v2 drivers instead). However, using lutris the open gl v2 driver works fine and the game runs better than ever before.

Lutris and play_on_linux are graphical interfaces where you can install applications using wine without the need to type in terminal commands (command line). Also the installation of upgrades etc. is very easy replica rolex and can be done via the graphical interface. For those who are not so familiar with the command line (like me), these programs are a great help.

#9 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 04:37 AM

I have long held if there were any simple way of getting my games to run in linux there would be no trace of Micro$oft on my system (except for FlightSim).  This sounds like a step in that direction.

#10 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 05:25 AM

It indeed is a simple way to get games running under linux. I even run Microsoft Word 2010 this way.
I have many friends switching to Linux and using lutris and play_on_linux for their games. Of course I can't tell if a particular game that is of interest will work, but I guess there are many forums where you can check that beforehand.

As an indicator you can use the following website:
https://www.winehq.org/search?q=
Of course it is not a complete list and it might be possible to run the game even if it is not listed there. At least you can find out if someone got it to run and reported this to the website.

#11 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 05:30 AM

And to avoid confusion. I referenced the wine website because lutris and play_on_linux use wine. However, you almost do not need to know anything about wine as it will be installed automatically with both of these appliciations. Simply put, both applications will do for you what you would have done manually with the command line when using wine without these applications.

#12 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 06:25 AM

Markus for GPL running openGLV2 it is the best to use the proprietary NVidia driver.

In the NV gui you can set some AA and power settings that are needed to push the GPU in 3D mode ;)

Running a 69X/SCX full grid from the 19th position in Spa67 with full 60fps is the result!

PS

I just tried to make a new mint install with an AMD RX580 GPU and installed Lutris....

No idea how to run GPL with it!

PS

the lutris wine install failed in mint...

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Mar 13 2020 - 07:29 AM.

#13 Markus_Gras

Markus_Gras

Jo Bonnier

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 09:26 AM

Hi Cookie,

not sure what exactly was your problem with the lutris wine install. Because I am using Mint as well and it works fine at my notebook. I can also install other wine versions via lutris if I think they might work better with a given application.

Lutris has no pre-configured runner for GPL. But it is very easy to do this on your own. At the top left corner there is a plus. When clicking on it you can choose 'add game'. This way you can create a runner manually.
After clicking on 'add game' a new window appears (game info). You can give a name for the application you want to install and you have to choose wine as runner. The next window (game options) under executable you select the path to your install.exe. The wine-prefix will be the path were your game will be installed (eg. ~/Games/GPL). As prefix architecture I selected 32bit for GPL. The rest on that window can be ignored. The next window (runner options) you can choose a wine versions (I am currently using lutris-lol-4,20-x86_64). The wine version can be changed later, as well as the rest you can find in this window. The window 'system options' can also be ignored as it can be changed later and I did not need to apply any changes for GPL. Then you only need to click the save button to create a banner for installing GPL.

I read that there is a bug that the banner is not shown when nothing else is already installed. In this case you just restart lutris and the problem should be solved.

Now you click on the banner and GPL will be installed. After installation right-click on the banner again and select 'configure'. Under the window 'game options' you change the executable to your GPL.exe or to your GEMP2.exe. After saving the change you can easily start the game with the banner. There was only one more thing I had to do: after selecting the banner at the right column click on 'Wine configuration' and choose Windows XP under Windows version.

Furthermore when you left click on your GPL banner you can choose 'Run EXE inside wine prefix' at the right column. There you can select and start any .exe-file in order to install upgrades, patches, tracks or what ever.

Edited by Markus_Gras, Mar 15 2020 - 09:14 AM.

#14 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 10:08 AM

I'll try Lutris, thanks!

Does somebody use a H-stick? Could you use gplshift?

Thanks! Marcos

#15 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Mar 13 2020 - 11:15 AM

Thanks Markus for the how-to :up:

For me it seems a little overkill to use such a tool for wine, when GPL runs fine under pure wine...
BUT
If you want to run multiple other windoze games and progs in linux the situation may be different!

I tried to install lutris with the AMD GPU and found that it is not in mint repositories, so has to be installed by using the terminal too + the wine install by terminal...
Running GPL without an AMD GPU GUI was as disasterous as with pure wine -
-> no menue fonts with openGL but good fps in driving and using D3DV2 it is vice versa...

Next I will try Lutris with manjaro :penguin:

My problem ATM is using Teamspeak, the 2 sound devices can't be fixed to an app by pulseaudio, HDMI and built in soundchip...

Edited by Cookie, Mar 13 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#16 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Jun 07 2020 - 02:26 AM

I plan to install Manjaro on a secondary hdd (older hdd in a usb rack), and use it with dual boot option for GPL.
+
I have a Win 10 on my primary hdd for work purposes, and I need it to boot occasionally without the secondary hdd.

An ext4 for system root, another ext4 for /home and a linux-swap partition is enough on secondary hdd?
Where grub will be installed?
Will it work?
Will Win 10 remain accessable?
I can't loose access to Win 10, so I won't start the install process unless it's safe :)

Thanks!

j.

#17 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 07 2020 - 03:36 AM

If W10 is installed it will work.
Make a full "Systemabbild" of the W10 HDD to an external HDD!

If you have 8GB RAM or more no swap needed

The W10 install will not see the ext4 partitions

So if you install it carefully and leave the W10 HDD in PC manjaro will manage it perfectly.

Attached Files

#18 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 07 2020 - 03:45 AM

no way to get the pic upside down...

ps
Out of manjaro you will have access to all W10 partitions!

I have it on a single HDD,

grub will be installed to the efi or MBR section and its no problem if you take out the second HDD

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Jun 07 2020 - 05:10 PM.

#19 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,309 posts

60fps GPL

Posted Jun 07 2020 - 04:01 AM

Remember manjaro is allways "full up to date"
what means it also takes some risks of not allways 100% working, but it's in case updated fast to get it fixed.
manjaro is way better than banana soft W10 - they fix bugs in 1-2days not next 1- never month ;)

Manjaro takes the devel or staging wine ~5.8, I prefer the stable wine 5.0!

ATM I experiment with SPARKYLINUX wich needs a little more linux essential knowledge
- a full Debian distro. I think it's very good and lightweight and reliable. :up:

I wait for the Mint 2.0 version coming this month to test...

Attached Files

Edited by Cookie, Jun 07 2020 - 04:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links