Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 26 2020 - 04:05 PM

Bob,

This sounds similar to the problem I had with Lee's Tracksounds. Starting GPL appeared to kill the Tracksounds program. I used a delayed start to get around the problem.

Details in posts #45 & #49 in this thread... might help

http://srmz.net/inde...=40#entry126320

Edited by webfoot, Jun 27 2020 - 01:49 AM.

#62 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jun 26 2020 - 04:56 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Jun 26 2020 - 02:27 PM, said:

Yes, I had IOM Pace Notes and now remember that it never worked either. Testing it again I open the IOM Track Options Manager.exe then the Pace Notes tab and turn the Pace Notes on. At which time I get an “Activated” sound.  I can hear the samples when I run the mouse over the images.

With GEM open, when I hit he green button, I can see that the Pace Notes goes to the Off position, although I don’t hear a “deactivated” sound. In-game there are no pace notes heard. Starting from the gplc65.exe gives the exact same result with Pace Notes going to Off just as GPL is launched.

You can see the folder structure in Post 55 above. I haven’t moved anything around and it’s just as installed from the ZIP.

Bob perhaps you didn't notice the note top RHS of the IOM Options Manager Pace Notes Tab. Which is also shown in the Options Manager Readme PDF.

What Lee and I discovered was that on some systems [ including mine ] the pace notes automatically turned off after "Activation" as soon as Gem2 was started. Other IOM Options Manager "options" all worked using Gem2.

The work around for this is to -

- First "Activate" the pace notes in the IOM Options Manager;
- Then LEAVE THE OPTIONS MANAGER PROGRAM OPEN;
- Then start GPL directly from the relevant Mod exe in C/Sierra/Gpl......

This work around may work also for Lee's first Pace Notes Program used for other tracks, but I haven't tested that.

See image below.

Attached Files

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 26 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#63 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:Football

Posted Jun 26 2020 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the reminder Jim.  Hopefully that can help Bob.

#64 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,446 posts

Posted Jun 26 2020 - 06:58 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Jun 26 2020 - 02:27 PM, said:

With GEM open, when I hit he green button, I can see that the Pace Notes goes to the Off position, although I don’t hear a “deactivated” sound. In-game there are no pace notes heard. Starting from the gplc65.exe gives the exact same result with Pace Notes going to Off just as GPL is launched.

I already tried that with both programs. I'm using Windows 10, but Tom Johnson does not have this problem and uses W10 too.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jun 26 2020 - 06:59 PM.

#65 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 333 posts

Posted Jun 27 2020 - 02:43 AM

Bob,

With my problem (with Tracksounds), it would deactivate starting from GEM or the GPL exe directly.  So my solution was to start Tracksounds AFTER GPL was running.

I run Win10. Similar symptoms of a problem occuring at different points depending on system set up?

#66 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,446 posts

Posted Jun 28 2020 - 03:49 PM

It seems that starting GPL either through GEM or by double clicking the gplc65.exe (or gpl.exe) shuts the Isle of Man Pace Notes off (without the "deactivate" announcement).

After starting Pace Notes, I tried setting the affinity to high or real time in Task Manager to no effect.

To run Pace Notes after GPL starts, you'd need to run it in a window, I'd think. If I remember, to run GPL in a window I set the gplc65.exe and gpl.exe to 8 bit colors, in the core.ini have fullScreen=0 and run with the D3Dv1 rasterizer but I just get an unresponsive small black screen. There seems to be no way to set the desktop to 8 bit colors. I suspect that it's not possible in Windows 10.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jun 28 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#67 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,810 posts

Posted Jun 28 2020 - 05:45 PM

It's got to be something other than Windows 10.  I can run Pace Notes and the IOM Pace Notes feature on my Windows 10 laptop with no issues at all.  They also run fine on my Windows 7 PC.

Bob, I can't change my laptop's desktop to 16 bit color either.  So I can't run GPL in a window on it.  When programming patches with my laptop, I have to attach an external monitor for dual display.

#68 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,446 posts

Posted Jun 28 2020 - 06:04 PM

Oh well. It would be nice but it looks like somehow starting GPL closes the IOM Pace Notes, although Pace Notes for the Targa doesn't even trigger the "activate" announcement.  I'll think more about this later when I have more time.

#69 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 333 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 04:21 AM

I have done some testing today with all 3 programs on my (Win10) PC.  All three worked but I still got some behaviour which may relate to Bob's problem.

Tracksounds worked ok.  Back in 2017 it would deactivate when GPL was started (from GEM or the exe directly).  Back then I solved this by delaying the start of Tracksounds until after GPL was at the main screen.  So something has changed in my environment to fix it.  My guess, Win10 updates, but a very environment specific issue.

Pace Notes works ok when I start GPL from the exe.  If I use GEM I get no sounds (no deactivate sound is played as GPL starts).

IoM Options Pace Notes.  Same behaviour as Pace Notes (unsurprisingly).
- However I have a two monitor set up.  With GPL full screen on one monitor I left IoM Options GUI on my 2nd screen.  When I started GPL from GEM the IoM Pace Notes On/Off radio button changed to "off", all by itself.  I could see it deactivate (but I did not hear the deactivate sound).
- Also after it deactivated itself.  I quit GPL and turned pace notes back "on" and I DID NOT get the activated sound.  If I then toggled it off and back on again it did play the "activated" sound.

So in summary I have seen / still see issues that the sounds get killed when starting GPL.

My suggested solution for you Bob is if possible, to start either Pace Notes program AFTER GPL has started up.  I do this with GPL running FULL screen - because I have the 2nd monitor.  Pressing the "Windows" key jumps out of GPL.  Sometimes jumping back in is awkward, and I need to use "Switch To" in Task Manager..  I managed to activate sounds with both Pace Notes programs this way, even though I couldn't move "Pace Notes"  GUI to my 2nd monitor (so it was still hidden behind the GPL Full Screen).  In this case I had to use Task Manager to switch to Pace Notes and then press "Enter" blindly to hit the Start button.  Then I could use task Manager to switch back into GPL.

If you can't use a 2nd monitor, then it might be worth trying Tracksounds, to see what happens.  In 2017 i used a .CMD file to start it but delayed long enough for me to then go and start up GPL.  My command file was quite simply

> ping 127.0.0.1 -n 11 > nul
> "GPL TrackSounds.exe"

#70 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,810 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Webfoot for the tests.  And sorry Bob that the programs don't work for you.  :(

As you know, these programs need to hook into the running GPL process in order to read data such as the player car's position.  So they simply lurk in the background until they discover a running GPL process.  Once you shutdown GPL and its process closes, the program automatically shuts down too.

This was done as a convenience for the user, but I'm wondering now if the auto shutdown feature is buggy.  If so, it may be inaccurately sensing a process close and prematurely shutting down even though GPL is still running.

#71 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,446 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 09:45 AM

OK, I got GPL running in a window and that is the work-around in a pinch. You need to set the mod's exe > Options > Compatibility > Compatibility mode > 8 bit color. In the core.ini you need to set fullScreen=0 and you need to run D3Dv1 rasterizer.

The tricky part is that in the window that comes up, the menus (only) are distorted. You have to do a bit of guessing where the buttons are to get onto the track, but then starting the Pace Notes works.

I'll see if I can get Webfoot's method going.

#72 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,810 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the info Bob.  I've no idea why running GPL in a window would affect the Pace Notes programs.

#73 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 333 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 01:39 PM

Lee, I think Bob is running GPL in a window in order to allow him to start pace notes after GPL has initialised.

Edited by webfoot, Jun 29 2020 - 01:40 PM.

#74 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,810 posts

Posted Jun 29 2020 - 02:48 PM

Ah, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users