It took me several thousand hours of driving around these tracks and grading each corner to make these pace notes...NOT! I wrote another program (not included) which automatically analyses each track to come up with its pace notes.
What Is It?: Pace Notes is an external program that plays pace notes sounds as the player drives along the track. It simulates having a copilot during a rally stage. Pace Notes announces the length of straights and the corner direction, radius, and length. It works during training, qualification, and race modes for all major mods, and all country .exes.
How Does It Work?: Pace Notes hooks into the running GPL .exe and reads vital information such as where the player car is on the track. It then plays sound files from the Pace Notes Sounds directory based on the settings in the Pace Notes .trk.ini files. The GPL .exe does not have to be patched and doesn't even know that Pace Notes is active in the background.
Do You Have To Install Pace Notes?: No. Just run Pace Notes from its own directory which can be anywhere on your hard drive. The program includes two files and a directory:
1. GPL Pace Notes.exe--program file.
2. Track name trk.ini--contains the sound settings for a track.
3. Pace Notes Sounds directory--contains all sounds used by the Pace Notes program. This directory must be in the same directory as the GPL Pace Notes .exe. Don't copy it to GPL's sound directory!
How Do You Use It?:
1. Start the GPL Pace Notes program, select the desired track from the track list, then select the Start button. Pace Notes will announce its activation and wait for GPL to start.
2. Start any GPL .exe either directly or with GEM+ and then select the same track. Pace Notes automatically recognizes all major mods.
3. When you exit GPL, select the Stop button. Pace Notes will announce its deactivation and close.
1. If the Pace Notes sounds or GPL engine sounds are too loud in relation to each other, adjust their relative volumes with GPL's Volume slider.
2. On the rare chance that a sound continues to play after GPL and Pace Notes are shut down, restart Pace Notes and select the Stop button.
3. Pace Notes sounds do not play for an AI car or during a replay.
The ReadMe tells how the straights and corners were graded.
EDIT: There is a new Pace Notes program which supports the 1967 Sports Car Extra mod. You can get it here:
Edited by ginetto, Jan 19 2019 - 09:14 AM.
added link to Lee's GPL Motorworks