#1 arizona coyote

arizona coyote

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 14 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have been running GPL since it first came out but it was not until about a year ago when I switched to Win XP Pro that I began having the sound issues many of us have been plaqued with. I guess I don't have to go into any detail as to what those problems are. About 6 months ago I purchased an upgrade sound cars and frankly I don't recall what the brand or model was. It didn't correct the GPL sound issues so I returned it to the retailer. I just recently ordered and installed another upgrade sound card and it has solved every GPL screwed up sound issue that I had, and believe me, I had ALL of them, it was terrible. I have a modern dual core Pentium based system with all the bells and whistles, plenty memory and  G Force graphics card. The default, on board sound processor, on the motherboard was a Realtech. The sound card I just installed is by Creative, Soundblaster X-Fi titanium. I installed the card, ran the software, ran the updates (there were many of them) and I disabled the realtech circuit in the Bios. The results are awesome with perfect sounding engine sounds and none of the previous issues about the sounds changing when going off course or running into something. I purchased the card from New Egg for $99.99 and the shipping was free. I have been on this and other GPL forums over the past several months seeking a solution to the GPL sound issues. I have been referred to various suggestions for the solutions, FAQ's, etc, and nothing I found there was helpful. This is the solution for me and it is $99.99 well spent. If you're running Win XP and have GPL sound issues, I highly recommend this card.

#2 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Dec 14 2009 - 02:05 PM

Another solution to sound problems is to upgrade to Vista or Win7. My realtek onboard sound works fine with Vista.

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,350 posts

Posted Dec 14 2009 - 02:24 PM

View Postarizona coyote, on Dec 14 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

I have been referred to various suggestions for the solutions, FAQ's, etc, and nothing I found there was helpful.
The most helpful advice is to get a dedicated sound card if the on-board chip doesn't work.  Hmm.  I thought that I had put that in the FAQ, but I don't see it.  I must add it.

Happy to see that you got your on-board sound chip working though Brr.

#4 tjc

tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Various

Posted Dec 14 2009 - 05:59 PM

View Postbrr, on Dec 14 2009, 03:05 PM, said:

Another solution to sound problems is to upgrade to Vista or Win7. My realtek onboard sound works fine with Vista.

Mine too... :thumbup:

#5 grego

grego

confuzius

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:motorbikes, petanque, philosophy,
    psychology, GPL

Posted Dec 14 2009 - 09:37 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Dec 15 2009, 08:24 AM, said:

The most helpful advice is to get a dedicated sound card if the on-board chip doesn't work.  Hmm.  I thought that I had put that in the FAQ, but I don't see it.  I must add it.

to  get a soundcard did not do the fix for me, it simply exchanged some of the problems to others , in my case even worse problems. I do not know what a """DEDICATED""" sound card is
I am running XP pro  as well.
So  my dilemma is :  Do i buy a  ""Creative, Soundblaster X-Fi titanium""", like Arizona coyote  did, or do i change to window 7  like """brr"  suggests..............
With my pc luck I can probably do both and still end up with problems.   :D
grego

#6 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 12:31 AM

View Postgrego, on Dec 15 2009, 05:37 AM, said:

So  my dilemma is :  Do i buy a  ""Creative, Soundblaster X-Fi titanium""", like Arizona coyote  did, or do i change to window 7  like """brr"  suggests..............

The Win7 vs. XP is mainly expected to help with Realtek onboard audio problems (possibly other sound cards as well, but I have no information on that). I am not sure if your sound problems are related to that. Maybe its worth checking your sound configuration (hardware acceleration settings, audio driver settings), app.ini (sample rpm and sound quality), and the sound samples themselves.

#7 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,350 posts

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 07:31 AM

The Creative sound blaster Live card doesn't work well with XP, as well as any card with that technology.  the lowest end X-Fi card uses the same processor too.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-fi > X-Fi Xtreme Audio

By DEDICATED, I simply mean a separate sound card and not integrated on the motherboard.  The integrated chips use more of the CPU and GPL doesn't like that.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Dec 15 2009 - 07:33 AM.

#8 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 08:45 AM

My new PC had big problems with GPL sound using onboard Realtek ACL 889 chip and XP.
I tried all the solutions in Bob's FAQ but nothing worked. The worst thing was that the bad sound was also creating stutters in game if I reduced Hardware Acceleration to try and cure the sound problem.

SO I purchased a X-FI Xtreeme Gamer card. ( ebay s/h £25 )

Now sounds are perfect and all stutters are gone.

paul

#9 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 08:57 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Dec 15 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

The integrated chips use more of the CPU and GPL doesn't like that.

A simple test suggests otherwise. I compared fps with 16 sounds vs. sound disabled at Monaco Rocks 2, 19 AI cars, back of grid waiting for the flag, and high enough graphics settings so fps drops below 60fps. Result? With 16 sounds, fps hovered around 46 when waiting for the flag. With the sound library disabled, it varied between 46 and 47. This with Realtek onboard sound. Keep in mind that GPL uses a very old sound library, which probably does not take much advantage of the processing power available on some of the soundcards. Compatibility issues are another matter, but that seems to be mainly an XP problem.

#10 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 11:01 AM

What no one has addressed is sound quality.  Every time I get a new puter I try out the onboard sound, then slap in the nearest sound card.  The difference in richness and depth is obvious.  

The footprint of the sound device is best measured on an older puter with less overall power.  When I got my first Creative card it just killed the puter for gaming.  That puter didn't have onboard sound. That's why I tried so hard to get the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz working for GPL.  It has a very small footprint, especially compared to Creative.  Perhaps more people could elaborate on onboard sound.

#11 brr

brr

a GPL editor

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 11:25 AM

View Postmiklkit, on Dec 15 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

The footprint of the sound device is best measured on an older puter with less overall power.

Maybe its best measured on the computer you use for GPL. I got approximately a 0.5 fps difference, so it seems that with a somewhat up to date PC (mine has 1.5 years old CPU/motherboard/memory/video card) the "onboard sound eats your CPU power" is a bit exaggerated. If the computer has a very slow CPU, then perhaps sound processing makes a difference. But an upgraded PC would make a much bigger difference.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,350 posts

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 12:48 PM

View Postbrr, on Dec 15 2009, 09:57 AM, said:

View PostBob Simpson, on Dec 15 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

The integrated chips use more of the CPU and GPL doesn't like that.

A simple test suggests otherwise.
From http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sound_card

I read “as of 2005, these "codecs" usually lack the hardware for direct music synthesis or even multi-channel sound, with special drivers and software making up for these lacks, at the expense of CPU speed

Further reading: “some manufacturers offered (and offer, as of 2006) motherboards with integrated "real" (non-codec) soundcards, usually in the form of a custom chipset providing something akin to full ISA or PCI Soundblaster compatibility; this saves an expansion slot while providing the user with a (relatively) high quality soundcard.”

So it looks like integrated sound has gotten better.

#13 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 15 2009 - 08:07 PM

So, I went to Monaco and noted the fps bog.  Exited. Went into the control panel and disabled the x-fi.  Went back to Monaco bog.  Really couldn't see any difference at all.  Went back to the control panel and couldn't find a way to enable the sound card.  Ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers.   :angry:

#14 Mr. Hitman - guest

Mr. Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Dec 16 2009 - 10:12 AM

What you should have done is rightclick in the pane that shows the sound devices and tick 'Show Disabled Devices'.

I had trouble with that as well yesterday  ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Mr. Hitman, Dec 16 2009 - 10:13 AM.

#15 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 785 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 04 2010 - 10:25 PM

FWIW, my Vista system came with onboard Realtek, which was fine for everything I threw at it ...until I installed GPL.  I had the usual assortment of scratchy, static ridden, engine sounds.  A little research and I decided on a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty;  at first it was no better than the Realtek for GPL, but a couple of driver changes and it's working quite well.

I've also heard a lot of good reports regarding the Auzen cards for GPL.  I was on the verge of buying one til I found the decent X-Fi drivers.

#16 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Jul 03 2015 - 07:02 AM

Recently I had upgraded my PC, installed new motherboard. It comes with onboard Realtek HD sound. I use WinXP, so finally expirienced all sound problems that other users have with GPL. Before I also had onbord souncard AC97, had some old drivers installed but never had any problems with GPL.

At first for Realtek HD I had installed some fresh drivers. No suprise it didn't work. So I tried to find some older releases. I tried few drivers. And package 1.47 solved my problems. Package 1.47 (RtkHDAud.sys Version: 5.10.0.5296) was last release from Realtek before Vista support was introduced.

Maybe this tip will be helpfull for other XP users with Realtek HD sound.

Edited by Pavel, Jul 03 2015 - 07:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links