Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,272 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 09:01 AM

Yes, Doug is missed. You know I got to thinking. If GPL had been a success and Papy made GPL2. Would we have liked it. Looking at iRacing i'm not so sure.

Maybe what we have with this community version of GPL is as good as it can get. I've driven the Lotus 49 in AC, PC, and iRacing. To be honest I like the HistoricalV2 GPL version the best. The modern versions have better graphics, but for some reason the GPL version in more enjoyable to drive.It has a soul. It's like an old friend.

I need to fix my AA/AF problem with GPL. I'm going to roll back to some older Nvidia drivers and see if that helps.

#108 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 15 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

I guess you're talking to Leon? You should make that clear in your post.

Sorry, i was replying to Lord and you posted while i was writing my post and i didn't realise,

#109 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 02:22 PM

View Postone2fwee, on Nov 15 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostLord, on Nov 15 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

As long as I live, if someone (like the iRacing.com staff) keeps telling me -for example- that a tire has maximum grip when fresh out of the factory and it decreases over time, regardless of temperature and slip angles, well... I'll keep laughing at their faces. ;)

Yer, it's always bothered me a lack of proper tyre wear in sims. It basically punishes you for driving smoothly.

What mods have you been involved in btw? :)

The sad thing with AC, if it's like what people are saying (i only tried the original test version that was available to NKP owners) is that NKP was a really good game and had a lot of potential. Instead they just chased the mass market.

The fact that you say that Stefano describes anyone wishing for historical accuracy as mentally ill is just sad :(

It's really sad that they don't seem to really care about this stuff, especially considering Aris being involved in the P&G mod.
They are obviously under pressure and have the toxic modern F1 fanboy side of the community to contend with now, but then in a lot of ways that is their own fault chasing that market.
I find that the people interested in the historical side are far less abusive. Sure, they can be dismissive of us but that just makes me kind of sad and disappointed rather than anything.

I also find the way they structure their DLCs awful and deliberately manipulative. It is much better to include similar content together in a DLC rather than 1 or 2 historic cars and about 8 or so modern ones. As a customer it just puts me off completely considering I am only interested in the old stuff.

I don't know how they can talk about saying the 330, 250gto and 312 are their favourite cars and then not go to the utmost lengths to try and ensure accuracy. Especially as they have laser scanning equipment.

I do feel like they have overspread themselves, especially with the addition of console releases. In some ways I feel sorry for them with that but then i remember that no, really, it is just the lure of money that brought them there and when they talk so negatively about people interested in historical accuracy it makes me sad.

Well, I'm more involved in rFactor, but I'm trying to find my way in GPL too. So far I''ve published the CROMS 1965 (all three versions of it) and I'm working with Ozpata on the 1958 one.

About AC, well... I'm not impressed by their shenanigans anymore: angry for what they're doing to the Italian simracing scene (I'm sick and tired to be compared to them just because they're the biggest group in the Peninsula) but not impressed. At this point, the only thing they miss is loot boxes and they'll be like EA.

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 16 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

Yes, Doug is missed. You know I got to thinking. If GPL had been a success and Papy made GPL2. Would we have liked it. Looking at iRacing i'm not so sure.

Maybe what we have with this community version of GPL is as good as it can get. I've driven the Lotus 49 in AC, PC, and iRacing. To be honest I like the HistoricalV2 GPL version the best. The modern versions have better graphics, but for some reason the GPL version in more enjoyable to drive.It has a soul. It's like an old friend.

I need to fix my AA/AF problem with GPL. I'm going to roll back to some older Nvidia drivers and see if that helps.

You know what, I've been reading Haynes's book on the Lotus 49 recently (I needed it to model the Cam and Pawl differential in the 1958 mod) and it's reported, in the chapter regarding the drivers' accounts of the car, it being according to Attwood (pages 88-89) on the 49 at the '68 Monaco GP:

"Driving the BRM was like riding a horse that had just come out of a field, the 49 was a thoroughbred. The difference between the two cars was a joke. When you touched the throttle, the DFV just did something, the car seemed alive and sprightly, the response was instantaneous wheter it be steering, brakes or throttle. The BRM was more like a sports car. I was staggered."

Jackie Oliver, on the 49's first outing at Snetterton, 1967:

"When it was on lean mixture, the Cosworth engine wasn't the easiest to get off the line. Once you got it underway, the power band in what was a light, stiff chassis provided amazing acceleration and braking, which I had not experienced before. Its handling characteristics were superb. The rear suspension of the eralier cars [R1 to R4] meant that there was a bit of a problem with regard to traction, its biggest fault then was its breakaway during traction. Colin gradually managed to sort that out but I didn't get to that until towards the end of 1968. The car's transformation came when we introduced the aerodynamic developments [the wings] which masked all the nervousness that was inherent in the car."

So yeah... I really think that, all things considered, GPL got it spot on. "Drive it with a watchmaker's hand", like the manual says :)

Edited by Lord, Nov 16 2017 - 02:41 PM.

#110 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 02:46 PM

To be honest I got that this thread is being used to just rant about the game, while I am seen as Kunos' PR guy and so someone to throw rocks upon :D thing is, I am not, if it wasn't clear from the beginning. So I am just enjoying the show at this point

Posted Image

#111 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostLord, on Nov 16 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

[...] I've been reading Haynes's book on the Lotus 49 recently [...]
So yeah... I really think that, all things considered, GPL got it spot on.

I just finished reading the same book and I got the same idea as you do :D Very good book, I don't know if the 250GTO or the 250F Maserati will be my next pick

Edited by leon_90, Nov 16 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#112 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 03:10 PM

View Postleon_90, on Nov 16 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

To be honest I got that this thread is being used to just rant about the game, while I am seen as Kunos' PR guy and so someone to throw rocks upon :D thing is, I am not, if it wasn't clear from the beginning. So I am just enjoying the show at this point

Posted Image

Nah, all that "brainwashed" thing is just for s*its and giggles, nothing serious: it's just that "seasoned" simracers do notice when stuff is missing, but nobody means harm here
:)

View Postleon_90, on Nov 16 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostLord, on Nov 16 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

[...] I've been reading Haynes's book on the Lotus 49 recently [...]
So yeah... I really think that, all things considered, GPL got it spot on.

I just finished reading the same book and I got the same idea as you do :D Very good book, I don't know if the 250GTO or the 250F Maserati will be my next pick

Does this answer what book I recommend (and what I'm currently using) ?
Also, thanks to that book I've realized one thing: that the 250F is a bonafide, certified shapeshifter. IT'S THE 8TH TIME I'M MODELING IT, GODDAMMIT!

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#113 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 03:18 PM

Leon..........Anybody ever tell you that you look like Micheal Jackson?

#114 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted Nov 16 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostLord, on Nov 16 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

Nah, all that "brainwashed" thing is just for s*its and giggles, nothing serious

I know Pete, but still that was very offensive to read at the time. Still, I said maybe worse to people in the past (and I deeply regret it), so I got over it ;)

it's just that "seasoned" simracers do notice when stuff is missing

I consider myself pretty seasoned too :D I know of all AC's faults, yet I like to drive it from time to time. That's all. But I like AMS more. King is still GPL though, I had a terrific race last night with the 712M at Mosport :wub: :wub:

Does this answer what book I recommend (and what I'm currently using) ?

It's hard to take a pick, so many good cars to choose. Haynes manuals are incredible. I just gifted my father a copy about the Messerschmitt BF-109 from the plane collection and those are amazing too!! :o

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 16 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Leon..........Anybody ever tell you that you look like Micheal Jackson?

Never happened before :D

Edited by leon_90, Nov 16 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#115 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Yesterday, 02:57 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Nov 14 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Yeah, I installed AC again to refresh my memory of it again. It lasted a couple of hours and is now deleted again.

Just for laughs I installed PC again and actually enjoyed it more than AC. It has me wondering about PC2.

I'm having a problem with GPL. I don't know if it's some Windows update that caused it, or the latest Nvidia drivers which I installed. The problem is I can't get rid of jaggies and flashing mips. I have AA 8X AF 16X and even Supersampling ay 8X. I've tried every setting on and back off and I can't get GPL to look good anymore. AC and PC look good. Flight sims look good. The problem is all on GPL. I can roll back the video drivers, but then all the other sims might look like ::crap::. I hate to give up o GPL, but I can't drive it looking like it is now.

I'm afraid to try PC2. I might like it and never go back to GPL. Not sure what to do.

Have you tried switching rasterizer in GPL? See if the problems persist with the OpenGLv2 rasterizer (or the other one if you're already using OpenGL).

Ultimately you've got to drive whatever sim you enjoy, I bet you'll always come back to GPL eventually :)

#116 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:04 AM

I'm using OpenGL. That's what Nvidia wants.  3D doesn't work at all. It's not a matter of coming back to GPL. I haven't left it. I just won't drive it looking like it does and I don't know how to fix it. I'm not sure when or what happened. I left for awhile for flight sims and when I came back this is how GPL looked.

I would never be trying AC and PC if GPL was working. I'm just trying to find something to drive that I like.

#117 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Today, 09:18 AM

Pete, backup your current settings in both core.ini and your Nvidia Control Panel.  You do have a separate setup for GPL .... not just a global (for all programs) in Nvidia CP?
Give these a try.

Attached Files

#118 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted Today, 10:55 AM

I'll give it a try Greg. I got so mad I uninstalled GPL, so i'll have to install it again to try the settings. It's close to what I tried, but a few things are different.

What about in GPL core. How do you set that?

#119 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,721 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Today, 11:36 AM

"What about in GPL core. How do you set that?"

Pete, I only use GEM+ to initially make new mod .exe files.  Also, if a new physics upgrade for a mod is released and requires GEM+ I'll use it.  But, I start GPL from the .exe file
‚ÄčSo, as for the core.ini file I use a text editor, like Notepad to make changes.  Make certain that you save it as ANSI text from the 'Save As' drop-down box.

#120 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted Today, 12:19 PM

Pete be mindful that there are some problems with AA on Nvidia boards recently. This may or may not be your case. I have it in AMS and GTR2, where no AA is applied since FCU release

https://forums.gefor...ed-10-17-17-/1/

A solution which works for ISI titles for this peculiar and recent issue

I've had the same problem with CFS3.

I tried new video drives, reinstalling DX9c, and a wide range of other control panel settings changes both in the game and in the NVCP all to no effect. What I finally found to work was using NvidiaProfileInspector to set the AA Compatibility bits. In the past this was not needed, and the value could remain at the default 0x00000000. Now it needs one of several that end with 40, 41, or C1.

F0C1
100C1
4412C1

There are subtle effect differences between each one, but generally they fall into the three main groups defined by the last two digits. Right now I've settled on the last one, as it's biased toward darkening the edges its aliasing.

Edited by leon_90, Today, 12:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ferrari, 312, 1967, Assetto, Corsa, Sim, F1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links