RolandSlide

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 05:16 AM

Wondering if I get some advice, tips.  I used to play GPL 98-2003 and did get negative GPLRank times on several tracks back then.  

I've now returned after 17 years (using the easy installation guide to get nicely updated version) and started with BRM and Brabham in the 65 mod as though would be easier but I'm driving round and feel like I'm going at a good pace until I see my times and realise I'm several seconds off the GPL rank benchmark times for 1965 tracks.  Thing is I have no idea where on the track I'm losing time, feels like I'm driving at my limit.  I've downloaded some 1965 setups and played around with those (ie make sure I have reasonable gearing etc) but still driving more like James May than the Stig.

So the questions I have are:-

1) Is being fast in the 65 cars different in terms of driving style etc than 67?
2) Is 65 the best place to start, if not what is the best mod to get back into it?
3) Does anyone have some replays of a good time in a 1965 chassis round tracks like Watkins Glen, Monza or Silverstone?  I've tried watching youtube videos like GPLaps but its really hard to get anything other than braking points from those as most 65 vids don't have the times displayed.  Be good to get a good replay to put through replay analyser to see where I'm losing time.

#2 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 05:39 AM

Some of the 1965 rank targets are extremely difficult. Instead, I'd head to GPLrank and look at top times for the mod on each track to see how you're doing.

#3 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,088 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 06:36 AM

Hi Roland,

I'd also advise you to join a league as soons as possible. You can learn the most out of online racing. And you can also learn from server replays too :)
If you started with 65mod cars, you should stick to them for a while. In my opinion, it's the easiest mod to drive (besides 67F2).

List of upcoming online events: http://freeleo.hu/we...x.php?p:events/

Have fun!
Jani

Edited by fajanko, Feb 15 2020 - 06:36 AM.

#4 RolandSlide

RolandSlide

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 06:36 AM

View PostJonnyA, on Feb 15 2020 - 05:39 AM, said:

Some of the 1965 rank targets are extremely difficult. Instead, I'd head to GPLrank and look at top times for the mod on each track to see how you're doing.

Thanks, looks like good and bad news. The bad is the best players are negative compared to the GPLRank65 times for the tracks I'm focusing on at the moment Watkins Glen and Silverstone.

For example the 65 rank benchmark for the Glen is 1:09.587, the highest ranked player for the Glen is Phil Woodward 1:08.168, yet I'm struggling to do better than 1:12.496 and that is my best rank by far at 104% of the benchmark time.  

The good news is while I'm also outside the mean and median times for any 65 F1 chassis these are closer as median 1:10.789 and mean 1:11.938.

While it is not surprising that I'm not yet near a negative time anywhere, what has surprised me is how far off I am even when I really go for it with warmed up tires.  I guess my first target is to reach the mean time for each track then the median.

Edited by RolandSlide, Feb 15 2020 - 06:38 AM.

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 09:00 AM

I would agree with Jani. Try online racing. But as a whole GPL needs patience. Whether your just starting out or returning after a long break.

Lots have happened in the last 17 years and you need to take things step by step. Your doing the right thing with trying out the 65's. Just steady away, practice and race when you can, learn to adjust to your own set ups and driving, because everybody is different.

I've never tried online racing but I'm sure following online drivers can give you better indication of how to drive, rather than the AI robots 🤔

In time you'll get it and start hot lapping. But it's a long journey. By the way are you using a wheel? When I moved from gamepad to steering wheel, I really felt the benefit and it improved my driving leaps and bounds 😁

TP: 🏁

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 15 2020 - 09:07 AM.

#6 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 09:14 AM

Welcome back to GPL RolandSlide.
Funny, when you left GPL in 2003 I re-discovered it. In 1998 my PC was  not able to run it. :)

The F1 65 cars are in deed good to start again. They teached me how to go fast with the 67 cars. But I rarely race 67 anymore, if I do so I prefer the 67x (67 Extra mod).

At our GPLRACER league 65 subforum you can find full server replays of this and last year. You can download them without being registered to the forum.
Maybe they are of help.
Go here: http://neuforum.gplr...wforum.php?f=23

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 15 2020 - 09:16 AM.

#7 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,756 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 12:00 PM

How do your present times compare to the times you did when you left GPL? I'd make those my first goal.

If you want to drive the 67F1 cars. Download the Historical V2 mod. The physics have been tweaked and are much easier to drive. Plus, the cars really look good and have the proper physics for each track.

#8 RolandSlide

RolandSlide

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the help everyone.  After digging around the 65 Setups thread I found some replays (which somehow I had missed) and was able to do the analysis and while as you would expect I'm a bit slow in terms of braking and exit speed what was really killing me was my gear changes, I'm shifting up too early and taking too long to get back on the throttle again after shifting

View Postfajanko, on Feb 15 2020 - 06:36 AM, said:

I'd also advise you to join a league as soons as possible. You can learn the most out of online racing. And you can also learn from server replays too :)
If you started with 65mod cars, you should stick to them for a while. In my opinion, it's the easiest mod to drive (besides 67F2).

List of upcoming online events: http://freeleo.hu/we...x.php?p:events/

Thanks, do leagues accept newbies who are rather slow or should I get a bit better before joining in?

View Posttwinpotter, on Feb 15 2020 - 09:00 AM, said:

I would agree with Jani. Try online racing. But as a whole GPL needs patience. Whether your just starting out or returning after a long break.

Lots have happened in the last 17 years and you need to take things step by step. Your doing the right thing with trying out the 65's. Just steady away, practice and race when you can, learn to adjust to your own set ups and driving, because everybody is different.

I've never tried online racing but I'm sure following online drivers can give you better indication of how to drive, rather than the AI robots ������

In time you'll get it and start hot lapping. But it's a long journey. By the way are you using a wheel? When I moved from gamepad to steering wheel, I really felt the benefit and it improved my driving leaps and bounds ������

TP: ������

Thanks yes I never expected it to be quick but thought I'd at least have the odd hot-ish lap that was just a second or two off the benchmark.  Thing is, I'm finding the new physics means its easier for me to stay on the track but still as challenging to be fast compared to vanilla 67 GPL.  As for controller I'm on a joystick, which surprisingly I was always better with than my Logitech wheel (MOMO Force, I no longer have it though) but I'm considering getting a Logitech G29.

View PostStefan Roess, on Feb 15 2020 - 09:14 AM, said:

Welcome back to GPL RolandSlide.
Funny, when you left GPL in 2003 I re-discovered it. In 1998 my PC was  not able to run it. :)

The F1 65 cars are in deed good to start again. They teached me how to go fast with the 67 cars. But I rarely race 67 anymore, if I do so I prefer the 67x (67 Extra mod).

At our GPLRACER league 65 subforum you can find full server replays of this and last year. You can download them without being registered to the forum.
Maybe they are of help.
Go here: http://neuforum.gplr...wforum.php?f=23

Thanks.  Funny that you started as I stopped. I think I stopped as life got really busy back then and once away for awhile I never felt I had the time to get back up to speed again till now.  A miracle the game is still alive and kicking 22 years after it came out!

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 15 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

How do your present times compare to the times you did when you left GPL? I'd make those my first goal.

If you want to drive the 67F1 cars. Download the Historical V2 mod. The physics have been tweaked and are much easier to drive. Plus, the cars really look good and have the proper physics for each track.

No idea how they compare as only been on 65 mod since my return whereas old times were all original 67, as I write GPL rank seems down but I was negative times at the Glen and Silverstone and I think Monza.  Sounds good that we have the new 67 version, I must try it when I've got the hang of 65, do you guys have trouble if you switch around GPL versions?

Edited by RolandSlide, Feb 15 2020 - 01:14 PM.

#9 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 02:34 PM

go ahead with the G29  or even better with the G920 better looking with less gadget on it , its a very good wheel and the pedals are so much better then on the old momo

#10 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,088 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 03:03 PM

All leagues have faster and slower drivers. Dig the stats at Weekly website, compare your lap times. Prequalify for next GPLRacer event (Mexico 1965, Feb 25) or install the F2 mod and start training for Mosport LBGPL races on next Monday. LoPeN also has F2 fun events which would suit you.

#11 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,734 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 04:45 PM

Roland slide as KARTM says definitely go for a wheel. You will find that it will make all the difference. Another note, as somebody once said here recently? it's also about getting the balance, through the corners. Steady with the break and especially balance of the throttle, until its right on the edge and just before you lose traction. Feeding it in correctly with the appropriate input and force. Once you find that fine line, you will discover patience, confidence and positive driving.

Also follow fajanko's offer of online racing. You could try it now, leave it until later or balance online and your self hot lapping evenly between your GPL sessions 🤔

What about going to the 67s, and using the trainer level for awhile. May possibly help 🤔 You can also switch to different GPL version years with Gem and it's usually pretty reliable. If you have any mishap later, it is usually solvable here, by asking all the members the relevant questions. Its also advisable to make a copy of your stable base copy of GPL. Just in case you have to reinstall. It saves a lot of headaches later, and all you have to do is install with the installer and replace that install folder, with your back up folder.

I think there's also a utility training track that may help. Somebody will correct me I'm sure, but if I remember it's  skidpan orientated to help practice the handling side of driving. You can also get another utility, to place your car (in practice) on any part of a track. So you can practice problematic sections, without having to do a full lap. Again the app name eludes me 🤔

Anyway Rolandslide, a very warm welcome back to GPL and also welcome to SRMZ. Not sure you were here before? But keep on at it and happy racing ✌️👍

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 15 2020 - 04:54 PM.

#12 veeman

veeman

JMF

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:GPL, slot racing, Time Trials.

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 04:50 PM

Stefan,

I would like to view some of the replays that you mentioned in post #6 above, but I don't see how to retrieve them. Will you provide more information please?

#13 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,470 posts

Posted Feb 15 2020 - 05:58 PM

View PostRolandSlide, on Feb 15 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:

Thanks, do leagues accept newbies who are rather slow or should I get a bit better before joining in?

GPLRACER also accepts newbies.
As long as you can keep the car on the track (well most of the time ;) ) and know the basic rules of online racing all is fine. :)

GPLRACER website & forum [German / English]:
http://www.gplracer.de/

GPLRACER rules [English]:
http://www.gplracer....r-rules/general

GPL Recommended Driver Behaviour [English]
http://wiki.grandpri...river_Behaviour

View Postveeman, on Feb 15 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

Stefan,

I would like to view some of the replays that you mentioned in post #6 above, but I don't see how to retrieve them. Will you provide more information please?

Just click on the race topics in our GPLRACER 65 subforum.
In the topics you find the download link to the replay (and results) mostly on page 2, or on page 3.
http://neuforum.gplr...wforum.php?f=23

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 17 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#14 veeman

veeman

JMF

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:GPL, slot racing, Time Trials.

Posted Feb 17 2020 - 04:19 PM

Stefan
Thank you for the information. I am able to see the reply's now.

#15 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,470 posts

Posted Feb 17 2020 - 04:28 PM

View Postveeman, on Feb 17 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

Stefan
Thank you for the information. I am able to see the reply's now.

:thumbup:

---------------

Sorry for turning this thread into a GPLRACER promotion.
There are of course other GPL leagues.
Yannick has done a good comparision video.
The Online Leagues of Grand Prix Legends
https://www.youtube....h?v=36kSEhgz0Kk

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Feb 17 2020 - 04:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links