db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 11:03 AM

If some of you are interested, I've retouched some time ago the update from Thomas. In particular the edge of the asphalt, the pits, the people in the tribune and a lot of details...
I've added in this archive the sky retouched by Paul, the AI made by Tato and some other stuff...

Hope it can be useful... :wave:

Attached Files

Edited by db312, Oct 27 2019 - 11:04 AM.

#42 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 11:36 AM

View Postgpl4ever, on Oct 27 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

@RAMOATS...
Here are some images that I grabbed from various spots on the back straight, and I can see the back of the pit building as I head down there.

Attachment 05.jpg   Attachment 05b.jpg   Attachment 06.jpg   Attachment 06b.jpg   Attachment 07.jpg

I looked at the various updates and I can see that after applying the 'GPL Today/KLAS' update, which is the one that Thomas created his 16-bit textures for, that the back of the pit straight always appears to be missing when I am on the final straight, exactly as it is missing in the upper image of Post #4, per the thread at... http://srmz.net/inde...lverstone +pits

@RAMOATS
I believe that I have indeed fixed that up, by installing as detailed below...

@RAMOATS & @KARTM
So far as I am aware, here is what I have installed for Silverstone, and importantly, the order...

#1... The original track from the original game disk.
#2... silverstone_jack_f1legends.rar, downloaded from... http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12778
#3... silver_1.0.zip, downloaded from... https://www.autosims...homas_laechele/
#4... silverstone_Thomas Lächele.zip, downloaded from... https://www.autosims...homas_laechele/
#5... Silverstone AI by Tato_V2.7z from... http://srmz.net/inde...topic=9607&st=0

After all those, I figured that I preferred the asphalt and pits from Jack Sellers update, so I made a copy of the now version, because it always makes sense take caution when things are working and you're about to go off piste!

Then...

#6... After making the backup, I overwrote these files, with those from the Jack Seller update...
asphalt.mip
asphalt2.mip
asphalt3.mip
asphalt4.mip
fixasph.mip
fixasph2.mip
pit.3do
pit_bak.mip
pit_bot.mip
pit_sid1.mip
pit_sid2.mip
pit_sid3.mip
pit_top.mip
pitlod01.mip
pitlod02.mip
pitlod03.mip
pitlod04.mip
pitp1.mip

#7... And, last of all, I added those skies that I shared earlier on this thread, per post #31.

If you are looking for the pit buildings to appear like I posted in the images on this post, just follow the links provided and the install order, then make those final changes.

*I notice also that if you drive on to the infield area to the right of that final straight, that a lot of clipping issues occur and the terrain and back face of the pits are clipped away, but unlike the images that I've posted here, after installing the GPL 'Today/Klas update', those areas seem to get clipped even earlier, rendering the back face of the pit buildings invisible as you come down the last straight away.

I think the mix of mods that I have installed is definitely an improvement on that, and might well be the best of all worlds just now for Silverstone.

Would love to hear if anyone has better.

Thanks to those that I have seen credited as contributors/creators for so many improvements that have been made, including, but not limited to those shared by...
GPL Today/Klas, Jack Seller, Thomas Lächele & Tato

That is one of the most comprehensive posts on Silverstone track updates I've ever seen ... So much has come out over the years it's vital to get a handle on the order and results of installing updates. To the point.... it seems that I have been building Silverstone correctly according to your step by step instruction .... For years I have wondered why after TL's update the grass extended to far onto the track surface past the white line at the edge ... now I know ... retrofitting Jack Seller's asphalt and pits following your instruction killed 2 birds with one stone ... The rear of the pit is now visible and the track surface issue I had is gone .... and I can swap out your clear blue sky and the type 7 TL sky among my installations  ... Very very Good ... Thank you.

Now ... we have a new issue .. you, as a Silverstone aficionado, know that spectators  often stood atop the pits .. This was added in TL's update but not in Jack Sellers ... I might just try my hand at adding spectators to the top of Sellers pit top if possible ..

In any case .... Your explanation and guide above is SUPERB ... Thank You !!!

#43 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 01:06 PM

View Postgpl4ever, on Oct 27 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

@KARTM - You got it, good to hear and hope you like it:)

I think if you install Silverstone as I noted that is a really nice mix with this sky, and it also fixes up just a few other wrinkles that I guess Thomas never got time to perfect, as the 16-bit textures that he released were a beta and not final release.

Enjoy the sunny skies, especially on cold/rainy winter days as we are now starting to have back here in good ole blighty.
ya  i like my track sunny , im no fan of those cloudy greyish blue sky that we see so much in the updates , one track who need a sunny overall treatment is Goodwood , to quote roy Salvadori ," give me Goodwood on a sunny Sunday morning and you can keep the rest of the world"

#44 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Virtual Motorsports

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 02:46 PM

@RAMOATS & @KARTM
Glad to hear that the info I posted has enabled you both to polish your silver a little;)
You are right about spectators being atop the pit buildings, if I get time I might take a look to see how best to get that back, that is if the db312 hasn't already sorted it.

@KARTM
I don't have Goodwood but I imagine it wouldn't be so difficult to create a sunny sky like the one I posted for silverstone.Does the version you have installed look like this one...
https://www.youtube....h?v=C4wbi4GeOeI

@db312
Thanks for posting this update.
I know other things that you've posted in the past have been nice and I've never seen this update before so I'm off to take a look and run a 12 lap race I reckon.
Yep. That's what I'm gonna do, right now!

Edited by gpl4ever, Oct 28 2019 - 02:05 AM.

#45 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 03:10 PM

View Postgpl4ever, on Oct 27 2019 - 02:46 PM, said:

@RAMOATS & @KARTM
Glad to hear that the info I posted has enabled you both to polish your silver a little;)

@KARTM
I don't have Goodwood but I imagine it wouldn't be so difficult to create a sunny sky like the one I posted for silverstone.Does the version you have installed look like this one...
https://www.youtube....h?v=C4wbi4GeOeI

@db312
Thanks for posting this update.
I know other things that you've posted in the past have been nice and I've never seen this update before so I'm off to take a look and run a 12 lap race I reckon.
Yep. That's what I'm gonna do, right now!
no my goodwood sky is like that ,that what i call greyish blue ,your sky is much more to my taste

another

Attached Files

Edited by KARTM, Oct 27 2019 - 03:12 PM.

#46 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 03:12 PM

Btw, I'm totally agree with you guys, I like also real sunny tracks ! In the end, it's still better for the eyes, and knowing the (immeasurable) problems that IT poses, it's better to think about it...

About the silverstone update, I only made some little retouch of the fabulous work of Master Thomas... Nothing else...

And about Goodwood, well... let's see what happens next :)

#47 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 03:24 PM

View Postdb312, on Oct 27 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

If some of you are interested, I've retouched some time ago the update from Thomas. In particular the edge of the asphalt, the pits, the people in the tribune and a lot of details...
I've added in this archive the sky retouched by Paul, the AI made by Tato and some other stuff...

Hope it can be useful... :wave:

VERY NICE ... I see your work ... subtle yet profound .... Thanks for that update package ...
I wish Thomas Lachelle was still updating... his work was artistry ...

Thanks Again !!

#48 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,322 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 03:36 PM

Denis, thx for you update!
Downloaded but not installed yet.

View PostRamoats, on Oct 27 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

I wish Thomas Lachelle was still updating... his work was artistry ...

Indeed, a pity that Thomas Laechele does no track editing and building at all anymore (not just for GPL).
If you have Assetto Corsa you might want to give this work of him a try?
Aspertsham, public roads in Bavaria 0.7 (not finished but it looks already great):
https://www.racedepa...-bavaria.10806/

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 27 2019 - 03:39 PM.

#49 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 05:48 PM

Your touch ups are always greatly appreciated Denis ! Top notch !  :up:

#50 deegee

deegee

• Supporter
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Grand Prix racing in the 60s.

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 06:22 PM

Thanks very much Denis - excellent as always

:up:

#51 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted Oct 28 2019 - 08:44 AM

View Postdb312, on Oct 27 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

Btw, I'm totally agree with you guys, I like also real sunny tracks ! In the end, it's still better for the eyes, and knowing the (immeasurable) problems that IT poses, it's better to think about it...

About the silverstone update, I only made some little retouch of the fabulous work of Master Thomas... Nothing else...

And about Goodwood, well... let's see what happens next :)
well those blue sky with some brighter grass fit quite well on goodwood , and are a perfect fit for snetterton too

#52 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Virtual Motorsports

Posted Oct 31 2019 - 03:14 PM

@KARTM
Would be great to see some images from Snetterton if you have time.
I never even knew the track existed so have just downloaded it myself:)

I'm going to see if I might be able to make some small improvements to Silverstone still but it will take time.
I'd love to find out what is going on with the pits, and when viewed from the track, the apparent gap that exists between the ramp in pit road and the pit wall.
That same gap isn't visible when in the pits themselves but without looking at the model, I'm not really sure what is going on.
If it proves easy, in any case, I am going to see if I can increase the height of the geometry that the pit ads and barrier are mapped on to, so that both sets of rails could perhaps sit higher up which looks to me how it really was, and then I could even put some people there too, and they would actually appear to be standing at the edge of the track, at least when track side.
If I really start to get into this, hopefully I can bother a few people around on here for some pointers when I inevitably screw something up, or get a bit lost with the tools that I haven't touched in so many years.
There may even be new tools that I am not aware of, so if anyone like Ginetto for example might see this post, all pointers are welcome:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links