Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 05 2019 - 12:52 PM

View Postpaul skingley, on Oct 05 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

This problem is due to the way bmps are converted to Type 5 mips end up being 16 bit

If you are using v2 rasters you can use Type 7 mips for the horizon/sky which do not have the banding because they are 32 bit.

Some of the newer tracks now come with Type 7 horizon/sky option.

If you use Type 7 make sure 32 bit is active In your core.ini

[RasterV2]
32Bit= 1

I converted Thomas's Silverstone sky to Type 7. Without the the original artwork I had to work from bmps converted from Thomas's mips which had banding. The result is not perfect but better.
You can give it a try and see if it helps.

BACK UP BEFORE INSTALL ;)

Paul

Indeed .... your conversion looks much better .... thank you so much . !!!!.... :up:

#22 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted Oct 05 2019 - 01:14 PM

Is there a version of winmip that will open and save mips as a type 7 ??

#23 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted Oct 05 2019 - 01:24 PM

Winmip is the problem. It cannot open or create 32bit textures.

You need to use papybmp latest version ( see Remy's link #9 )

Paul

#24 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 04:04 AM

View Postpaul skingley, on Oct 05 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

You need to use papybmp latest version ( see Remy's link #9 )

Note if you follow Remy's link the version of PapyBmp in post #1 (29/1/2009) is not the newest.  There is a newer version in post #27 (dated 4/3/2009)

#25 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 07:18 AM

Ah OK, here is the version I use for Type 7

Attached Files

#26 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 08:36 AM

Ok ...Thanks Paul ... I'll try this version ... Here's my quandary now. Your type 7 Silverstone sky is a great improvement. But it reintroduced the lens flare around the sun I had edited out of the original Lachelle sky. ....

Using the papymip version from post nine I converted the horiz8 mip from your type 7 sky into bmps. I edited the bmps in photoshop to eliminate the flare. Then I saved them as 32 bit bmps leaving photoshop. I then converted the bmps back into the horiz8 mip paying attention to your instructions as 8 bits each for RGBA, and requesting partial transparency.... end result was the banding was huge again. The bmps I edited looked perfect so either I'm doing something wrong in the conversion process or papymip is doing it during conversion. I tried a lot of different settings and combinations but always the same result. I also noted no matter how I saved the mip, the file size was roughly half of what it was originally. Attached is the largest bmp of the 8 after editing and the settings......

Attached Files

#27 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 09:25 AM

See if this mip works for you.

Attached Files

#28 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 10:28 AM

View Postpaul skingley, on Oct 06 2019 - 09:25 AM, said:

See if this mip works for you.

Oh Man !!!... that's beautiful .... thank you so much ... If it's ok I'm going to edit and add that to my old post of downloads phasing out the sun flare for the original Lachelle sky making sure to tag it for the type 7 sky.

I still want to keep learning this.. I'll be retiring in a year or so and I am really keen on the editing and historical accuracy of GPL .... I need to keep learning... I've made a lot of rudimentary contributions over the years.. I'd love to do more ...

Thanks again Paul....

Attached Files

#29 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 12:33 PM

No problem.
You will have to make _ti for the rest of your bmps before converting.

As you can see some of the banding is still there, If you spend some time on the sky you might be able to remove it completely using blur tools but being careful not to destroy the clouds.

Have fun :)

Paul

#30 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted Oct 06 2019 - 03:00 PM

:up:

#31 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Virtual Motorsports

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 12:16 PM

I think have mostly the same updates as I remember having those same skies and I expect they look great but for some reason they have been exported a little incorrectly.
Anyways, I installed GPL again about 3 weeks back and after trawling through and checking it works, I found a sky I thought always worked quite well as a replacement and works well with the rest of the track that generally looks quite bright to my eyes.
Here are some pics...

Attached File  01.jpg   74.75K   44 downloads   Attached File  02.jpg   76.19K   47 downloads   Attached File  03.jpg   94.25K   55 downloads   Attached File  04.jpg   86.11K   65 downloads

Here are the relevant files from the game if anyone wants to give these a go, after backing up the files of the same names, so you can go back if you wish.

Attached File  Silverstone_Sky_512x512.7z   2.59MB   16 downloads

Thanks to Thomas Lächele and all others for making and sharing so many improvements to all aspects of GPL.

Edited by gpl4ever, Oct 26 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#32 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 01:21 PM

look good but they dont fit with my silver ,the horizon  float way above the ground ,are you using a specific horizon 3do ,if so it is not include

#33 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 01:45 PM

@KARTM... You must not have the GPL Today/Thomas L Horizon 3do. I'll add it to the 7z and post it up again tomorrow and I think it will at least render in the right place.
I'll also check what I have installed exactly and share that too.

Edited by gpl4ever, Oct 26 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#34 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 03:35 PM

This is really a great option for me.... I use the Thomas Lachelle update in several of my installs (I have separate installs for each mod) and it REALLY gives the track a different look and feel when the season uses multiple races at Silverstone... PLUS it retains that wide open "airfield" sensation that's important at Silverstone. Thank You for this !!!!!

Now if some talented chap could make the backside of the pits visible on approach the way Jack Seller did .....

#35 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 04:21 PM

@RAMOATS - Hmmm. I'll post my install order tomorrow and just maybe I have the pits the way you say. From vague memory, after the TL update, I believe I reverted the asphalt and pit building to those from the Jack Seller update. I know I played with this one for ages as I wanted my home track to be as nice as I figure it can be, and I liked different parts of each update. If you could post an image of what you are looking for that would be great to see.

Edited by gpl4ever, Oct 27 2019 - 07:23 AM.

#36 Ramoats

Ramoats

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 04:28 PM

View Postgpl4ever, on Oct 26 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

@RAMOATS - Hmmm. I'll post my install order tomorrow and just maybe I have the pits the way you say as I think I might have the pits the way you say. From vague memory, after the TL update, I believe I reverted the asphalt and pit building to those from the Jack Seller update. I know I played with this one for ages as I wanted my home track to be nice and I liked different parts of each update.

This post may shed some light on what I was referring to .. post number 4 .....
http://srmz.net/inde...lverstone +pits

In all of my TL versions the back side of the pits appear as in DeeDee Drivers photo ...

Edited by Ramoats, Oct 26 2019 - 04:35 PM.

#37 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Oct 26 2019 - 04:36 PM

@RAMOATS... Cool, I'll take a look at how mine looks tomorrow and see which of those images it looks like the most. If it's just a draw distance setting, I'd have to take a look in tools I haven't touched in more than 10 years and I expect somebody on here that makes tracks could make that change a lot more quickly than I would be able to. Let's start by seeing what I have first.

#38 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 07:16 AM

@RAMOATS...
Here are some images that I grabbed from various spots on the back straight, and I can see the back of the pit building as I head down there.

Attached File  05.jpg   96.87K   23 downloads   Attached File  05b.jpg   102.33K   29 downloads   Attached File  06.jpg   102.77K   33 downloads   Attached File  06b.jpg   106.85K   35 downloads   Attached File  07.jpg   113.93K   25 downloads

I looked at the various updates and I can see that after applying the 'GPL Today/KLAS' update, which is the one that Thomas created his 16-bit textures for, that the back of the pit straight always appears to be missing when I am on the final straight, exactly as it is missing in the upper image of Post #4, per the thread at... http://srmz.net/inde...lverstone +pits

@RAMOATS
I believe that I have indeed fixed that up, by installing as detailed below...

@RAMOATS & @KARTM
So far as I am aware, here is what I have installed for Silverstone, and importantly, the order...

#1... The original track from the original game disk.
#2... silverstone_jack_f1legends.rar, downloaded from... http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12778
#3... silver_1.0.zip, downloaded from... https://www.autosims...homas_laechele/
#4... silverstone_Thomas Lächele.zip, downloaded from... https://www.autosims...homas_laechele/
#5... Silverstone AI by Tato_V2.7z from... http://srmz.net/inde...topic=9607&st=0

After all those, I figured that I preferred the asphalt and pits from Jack Sellers update, so I made a copy of the now version, because it always makes sense take caution when things are working and you're about to go off piste!

Then...

#6... After making the backup, I overwrote these files, with those from the Jack Seller update...
asphalt.mip
asphalt2.mip
asphalt3.mip
asphalt4.mip
fixasph.mip
fixasph2.mip
pit.3do
pit_bak.mip
pit_bot.mip
pit_sid1.mip
pit_sid2.mip
pit_sid3.mip
pit_top.mip
pitlod01.mip
pitlod02.mip
pitlod03.mip
pitlod04.mip
pitp1.mip

#7... And, last of all, I added those skies that I shared earlier on this thread, per post #31.

If you are looking for the pit buildings to appear like I posted in the images on this post, just follow the links provided and the install order, then make those final changes.

*I notice also that if you drive on to the infield area to the right of that final straight, that a lot of clipping issues occur and the terrain and back face of the pits are clipped away, but unlike the images that I've posted here, after installing the GPL 'Today/Klas update', those areas seem to get clipped even earlier, rendering the back face of the pit buildings invisible as you come down the last straight away.

I think the mix of mods that I have installed is definitely an improvement on that, and might well be the best of all worlds just now for Silverstone.

Would love to hear if anyone has better.

Thanks to those that I have seen credited as contributors/creators for so many improvements that have been made, including, but not limited to those shared by...
GPL Today/Klas, Jack Seller, Thomas Lächele & Tato

Edited by gpl4ever, Oct 27 2019 - 07:33 AM.

#39 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 08:12 AM

ok ,i found the missing link ,its the horizon,3do of the Klas update  

silver_1.0.zip, now thats what i call a sunny day ,much better

#40 gpl4ever

gpl4ever

Mike Parkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted Oct 27 2019 - 10:40 AM

@KARTM - You got it, good to hear and hope you like it:)

I think if you install Silverstone as I noted that is a really nice mix with this sky, and it also fixes up just a few other wrinkles that I guess Thomas never got time to perfect, as the 16-bit textures that he released were a beta and not final release.

Enjoy the sunny skies, especially on cold/rainy winter days as we are now starting to have back here in good ole blighty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links