sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 22 2009 - 08:58 AM

somehow i got bored today cleaning up, so i broke out my old momo force racing wheel, hooked it up (sans power since i couldn't find the ac adapter). and went for a few, quite disastrous, laps. eventually i found the ac plug and could even enjoy ffb then. but something bugged me. it's been such a long time since my last using the wheel/pedals that i didn't remember that throttle and brake share one axxis on this thing. BLAST.

so there's no way i could break and tap the throttle, or the other way around. that's quite annoying. so imagine this: you've floored the loud pedal and need some grip shifted to the front wheels, dab the brakes and voila. not so much here. what happens is your 100% will be reduced by the percentage of brake pedal power you put on. you're not actually breaking but just slowing the acceleration (sort of). how stupid is that? same thing other way around, you want to heel and toe the brake and throttle. what happens is your brakes get released somewhat, so you're not exactly slowing as much as before and just going off on a trip into the greens. SNAP

is there any way i can fix this? btw i'm not using the logitech software that came with the wheel. a) it was ::crap:: imo, B) it wouldn't let me configure individual axxis for the pedals anyway

if there is no way i guess i have to go looking for some other pedals in the future, preferably with a clutch pedal too this time.

what i also came to realize is that the wheel of the momo is at a rather flat angle, i'd thought a much more vertical tilt would be better

Edited by sky, Aug 22 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#2 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Aug 22 2009 - 05:46 PM

View Postsky, on Aug 23 2009, 12:58 AM, said:

is there any way i can fix this? btw i'm not using the logitech software that came with the wheel. a) it was :::crap::: imo, B) it wouldn't let me configure individual axxis for the pedals anyway

if there is no way i guess i have to go looking for some other pedals in the future, preferably with a clutch pedal too this time.

I don't have a momo but I assume you've looked in Control Panel->Game Controllers->Momo->Properties->Settings ?

#3 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Aug 22 2009 - 06:53 PM

well, i hadn't :huh:, but i have now. there is no option to set individual axxis for brake / throttle. in essence this is a 2 axxis controller, x = left right (wheel), y = brake=down, throttle=up :(

#4 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,394 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Aug 23 2009 - 03:49 AM

I don't have a momo wheel so i don't know if it has split axis for a fact. [I mean fysical split axis]
But having read some articles about it i think it is supported by the logitech software so it must have?

I have an old thrustmaster modena that still has analog flippers. The damn thing is so worn out it already has one shifting lever broke off so i had to use a button for the downshift. It also is so old it moves around in the support.
But i'm kind of attached to it so i never replaced it even though i have a new logitech wheel lying in the drawer :rolleyes:

Anyway, i know i can get split axis by splitting up the wiring on the pots. Have seen some sites explaining how to do it.

If your momo has split axis i think you need to install the software that supports it. I've seen some people having the same problem as you have and were able to solve it by fiddling with the drivers and settings.
If it doesn't has split axis you need to split the axis by rewiring it.

#5 Uwe Herrling

Uwe Herrling

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Aug 24 2009 - 03:27 AM

View PostMECH, on Aug 23 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

If your momo has split axis i think you need to install the software that supports it. I've seen some people having the same problem as you have and were able to solve it by fiddling with the drivers and settings.
I used to have the same Problem with my black Momo, and the above is precisely what I did, and it worked for me. I needed the Software that came with the MOMO (download it if you've lost it)

Grüße
Uwe

Edited by Uwe Herrling, Aug 24 2009 - 03:31 AM.

#6 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Aug 24 2009 - 11:44 AM

hm, ok i'm gonna give it wizz now, see if now, after only what, 4 years?, i'll get individual axxis working. that'd be a treat. and just for the record, of course i couldn't find the driver disk anymore (the only one to ever 'get lost') - not that it would have mattered as i have banished all optical drives from my main pc.

it's just interesting to see. i got a package from logitech direct, sized 4.4megs, and an driver/software v.4.60 worth 8.9megs - i wonder what the difference is. i just know i didn't like the software much back then and i couldn't get it to work. see what happens now.

if all else fails, the rewiring sounds tempting :D, break out the soldering iron once more.

/edit

bugger.. no need for the soldering iron :(... so now i got a brake pedal and a throttle pedal. wohooo, leftfoot braking here i come. needless to say i'm experiencing the wheel of fortune syndrome. you will never know which way the nose is pointing on exiting a corner. but it's great fun. it's just that i don't like the ffb settings. i prefered it the way it was before the game controlled the ffb. like i want a constant force wanting to recenter the wheel hmm

after years of keyboard driving, it feels like having to re-learn every circuit. only 9 seconds away from my personal best at the glen, 5 seconds if you count best sector times

Edited by sky, Aug 24 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#7 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,394 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Aug 24 2009 - 12:01 PM

View Postsky, on Aug 24 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

it's just interesting to see. i got a package from logitech direct, sized 4.4megs, and an driver/software v.4.60 worth 8.9megs - i wonder what the difference is.

4.5MB (or 50%) extra :crap:..just as you get installing any Windows OS.

But i'm not complaining, oh no.....apart from updating every week coss they are trying to fix some kind of bug in the software....but i'm not complaining, oh no wouldn't dream of it....what were you asking btw?

#8 thomass

thomass

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Aug 25 2009 - 04:56 AM

View Postsky, on Aug 24 2009, 07:44 PM, said:

it's just that i don't like the ffb settings. i prefered it the way it was before the game controlled the ffb. like i want a constant force wanting to recenter the wheel hmm
Don't give FFB up too fast. In GPL it takes its time to find propper settings but it definitely adds to the experience.

Thomas

#9 FDA

FDA

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 31 2009 - 07:47 PM

I've been using my Momo Force for years.  Had a problem with it due to some broken wires but fixed that.  Anyway, no problem with non-combined axis.  I do not use the Logitech software.  I just go to control panel/game controllers/ and it opens up a screen with Momo Force on it and I head to settings where it gives me the option to combine axis if I want or not (and I have it at not combined).  I just checked it again to be sure I wasn't remembering something wrong, since I haven't driven GPL for a month.  So I have no idea why you wouldn't find the same thing with yours.  Using Windows XP if that's any diff.

#10 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Sep 01 2009 - 05:00 AM

You need the latest Logitech® Gaming Software 5.02. Find it here. Scroll down to "latest software."

#11 FDA

FDA

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Sep 01 2009 - 10:50 AM

View Postptmac3, on Sep 1 2009, 06:00 AM, said:

You need the latest Logitech® Gaming Software 5.02. Find it here. Scroll down to "latest software."

This isn't needed, as far as I can tell.  In my case I don't use it, although I have it on my computer.  But the version I have is 4.60.349.0.  As I said, I don't use it, I have the option to combine or not axis in the control panel/gaming controllers, and my wheel and pedals work fine.

#12 ptmac3

ptmac3

Monza Gorilla

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted Sep 01 2009 - 06:01 PM

View PostFDA, on Sep 1 2009, 12:50 PM, said:

This isn't needed, as far as I can tell.  In my case I don't use it, although I have it on my computer.  But the version I have is 4.60.349.0.  As I said, I don't use it, I have the option to combine or not axis in the control panel/gaming controllers, and my wheel and pedals work fine.

But you do have some version of the software installed. That may be the reason you have the option to combine/or not the axes of the pedals. Or maybe not. I don't really feel like uninstalling it to find out. I have always used it because the adjustability/customization of the wheel and pedals is so much greater with than without it's use.  :)

#13 FDA

FDA

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Sep 01 2009 - 07:07 PM

View Postptmac3, on Sep 1 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

View PostFDA, on Sep 1 2009, 12:50 PM, said:

But you do have some version of the software installed. That may be the reason you have the option to combine/or not the axes of the pedals. Or maybe not. I don't really feel like uninstalling it to find out. I have always used it because the adjustability/customization of the wheel and pedals is so much greater with than without it's use.  :)

I just tried it, uninstalling the Logitech software and you're right; it needs to be installed to have the non-combined pedals option in control panel/gaming controllers/settings.  However, it doesn't need to be the later software (v. 5.02) as my v. 4.60.349.0 does the deed.  And you don't need to actually use the software to set things up, since I don't and it works fine.  Whether or not one uses it, of course, is personal taste.  But it does need to be there.

#14 sky

sky

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted Sep 03 2009 - 02:24 PM

i guess you just need to have the driver / software kit installed once. because i didn't have the individual axxis option prior to installing the software. i might still have it if i uninstall the logitech soft now and just keep the driver. can't be bovvered to try that now though - unless the driver is an integral part of the soft that will be removed on uninstalling as well. hm. talking gobblygook? never mind :P

#15 FDA

FDA

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Sep 03 2009 - 05:23 PM

View Postsky, on Sep 3 2009, 03:24 PM, said:

i guess you just need to have the driver / software kit installed once. because i didn't have the individual axxis option prior to installing the software. i might still have it if i uninstall the logitech soft now and just keep the driver. can't be bovvered to try that now though - unless the driver is an integral part of the soft that will be removed on uninstalling as well. hm. talking gobblygook? never mind :P

Whatever it is, when you uninstall the software what you need to do the non-combined pedals goes as a result.

I must say I'm still really happy with my Momo Force.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links