mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 18 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hello everybody

I'm trying to brake with the right foot and use clutch pedal... and I'm requesting some advise.  Mainly, I would to know if fast guys that use manual clutch and brake with the right foot :

- use only symmetric setups
- use the brake balance oriented to the front
- do heel/toe
- brake always with the right foot or only when not donwshifting

I just did some laps in Kyalami and am 3 seconds slower than my times with LF, but it was just a quick test.

Cheers and thanks for any advise.

Marcos.

Edited by mcmirande, Jan 18 2017 - 05:43 PM.

#2 Andreh

Andreh

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Pre-80's racing

Posted Jan 18 2017 - 01:54 PM

Marcos, Im not one of the fast guys, neither a setup expert.

I began RFB a bit before my last GPLpause, that Im trying to put to an end now. My main motivation when I decided to make the shift was have fun, not so worried with my old speed. Just like almost 20 years ago, I just want to remain on the tarmac and keep my line.
What I gathered through my small experience and reaqding others is that speed will come with time.
I do heel and toe, and when Im not downshifting I LFB too sometimes.

Good luck with your learning curve and have fun!

Edited by Andreh, Jan 18 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#3 Pablo_Fernandez

Pablo_Fernandez

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:GPL. Nascar. DTM. MOTO GP

Posted Jan 18 2017 - 02:52 PM

Set up might be a little bit different. Stable Ramp angles, 30 or 45 max. at the rear, for braking stability, and brake bias above 53, and not to much toe's.

I remember comparing lap times with RFB and LFB on the Cooper at circuits like Monza, Zeltweg, Reims Le Mans, where you mostly brake in a straight line, and there were NO difference at all, at least for me. But I never use RFB at Monaco or Nurburgring for example.

You need to watch laps replays of Joosa Riekkinen and pay attention how he downshift while rfb. He did it extremly good

Edited by Pablo_Fernandez, Jan 18 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#4 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jan 18 2017 - 03:00 PM

View PostPablo_Fernandez, on Jan 18 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

Set up might be a little bit different. Stable Ramp angles, 30 or 45 max. at the rear, for braking stability, and brake bias above 53, and not to much toe's.

I remember comparing lap times with RFB and LFB on the Cooper at circuits like Monza, Zeltweg, Reims Le Mans, where you mostly brake in a straight line, and there were NO difference at all, at least for me. But I never use RFB at Monaco or Nurburgring for example.

You need to watch laps replays of Joosa Riekkinen and pay attention how he downshift while rfb. He did it extremly good

Gracias Pablo

Didn't know you are (or was?) a RFB driver :)

#5 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jan 18 2017 - 03:04 PM

In order to gather ultrafast replays... Carsten Theile is also RFB, isn't it?

#6 abaris

abaris

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Too many to mention

Posted Jan 18 2017 - 05:01 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Jan 18 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Hello everybody

I'm trying to brake with the right foot and use clutch pedal... and I'm requesting some advise.  Mainly, I would to know if fast guys using clutch and brake with the right foot

It depends. I'm using mostly right foot for GPL. Clutch only when the car becomes unstable, as I would do in real life. It's easier to catch the vehicle if the wheels are allowed to spin.

#7 Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman

Hitman Industries

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • Interests:Simracing
  • Sim interest:rFactor

Posted Jan 19 2017 - 01:48 AM

Hey man,

Yeah you should definitely try to go RFB eventhough it's much slower at first.

I posted my replays (60fps) and setups (Lotus) a while back, I think they can help you. Check them out!

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8368

#8 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Jan 19 2017 - 03:03 AM

I'm also not very fast, but it makes no difference to my laptime if I left foot brake or right foot heel and toe....I'm no alien :)

I strictly right foot brake and heel and toe in GPL, no left foot braking at all because the steering column would be in the way in the real cars. It took a lot of practice to learn at first, but now I do it without even noticing. I generally use pretty stable setups anyway but I still move the brake bias back a fair bit from the defaults in most cars, about 52% if I remember correctly.

Maybe use a stable setup at first, when you're making clean downshift blips every time without varying the brake pressure much then you can start to setup the car for more oversteer.

Good luck, it can take a while to learn but it's actually a lot of fun and a useful skill to have.

Edited by Fat Rich, Jan 19 2017 - 03:54 AM.

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Jan 19 2017 - 05:09 AM

In offline races with AI I'm RFB. In online races I have to use left foot or I will be competitive not enough.

But if I turn on option in gplshift.ini that forces you to have at least 60% clutch to change gears then this make my driving experience even more intresting (especialy during downshifts) :)

#10 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,231 posts

Posted Jan 19 2017 - 05:14 PM

I RFB and it's much easier to Heel-and-Toe if you have a load cell brake or at least something to give some resistance.  I do it for realism (in the 67 cars at least and I don't think that real-life drivers used left foot braking until after the eras that GPL simulates).

It is much more difficult in some situations where there's sudden and rapid swings, like through Esses.

I'll try to remember to post the default setups later, that I use for each mod generally.

#11 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jan 19 2017 - 06:47 PM

Thanks to all for your kind answers

Bob, I'll try the cheap way (https://www.youtube....h?v=i9GlhNmOxDQ). Did somebody test it before?

Cheers, Marcos.

Edited by mcmirande, Jan 19 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,231 posts

Posted Jan 19 2017 - 06:54 PM

Sure.  Anything to increase the resistance will make a big difference.  I think that the calibration becomes a bit tricky with any of these, so keep track of what the full range numbers are in GPL's calibration window and play around with different numbers to get the right effect.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jan 19 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#13 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jan 20 2017 - 07:37 AM

1:21.2 with Brabham in Kyalami. Still 1.5 seconds up of the time I should do... but improving!! :)

#14 abaris

abaris

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Too many to mention

Posted Jan 20 2017 - 10:55 AM

Not having raced for more than a decade, my times are quite naturally not what they have been. I'm glad that I can manage without crashing too much, but I remember of having mastered the art of trailbreaking in the past. Far from what I can manage today.

#15 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted Jan 21 2017 - 01:16 PM

I got stuck at 21.2 at Kyalami+Braby. I think I'm doing something wrong...

One more question.
Do you heel&toe only for downshifting or use the gas also to stabilize the car while breaking and the brake when starting to accelerate after the apex (as many left foot braker do)?

I'm slow but still much enthusiast with this new challenge in a never-ending gpl :)

Marcos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links