• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 14 2014 - 01:51 PM

http://wheelstandpro...-fx-wheels---v2

I have this on my Christmas list. Do you know this product?

#2 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Nov 14 2014 - 02:51 PM

I have one.  It's a very good product and lives up to what it claims it will do.  I first had a Logitech G25 on it.  Later on I bought a Thrustmaster T500 RS and that's what's on it now.  The T500 is quite a bit larger and heavier than the G25 and is probably close to the size limit of what this stand can handle. The strength of the FFB and size of the T500 can make the WSP rock a little during extreme tank slapper moments, but is otherwise solid.  With the G25, I never remember it moving around at all while driving.

Hope this helps,

Dave

#3 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,337 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Nov 14 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hey Jani.
Looks like for the price a great product.
If I were Santa...you'd have it on its way.

Interested atm in this T500:
(Also an interesting back story...poor dad).
Dave, would you get another one, or glad you did?
How the FFB?

Edited by John Woods, Nov 14 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#4 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi John,

I love my T500!  I've had for 3 1/2 years now and would buy it again in a heartbeat.  It is a step or two up from the G25 I was using before.  No comparison between gear driven FFB and belt driven FFB.

I can't believe that dad shelled out $1700 for the setup and his kid used it 3 times.  Nice seat too, except I don't like the modern formula car driving position with the pedals way up in the air like that.   $300 for basically a new T500 is a smoking deal.  I don't have the F1 wheel attachment for mine as I don't drive any modern F1 sims.  I have the GT wheel that came with the T500 and have bought the smaller diameter 458 Challenge wheel as an add on.  I use the 458 wheel for 70's and 80's open wheel sims as the size is perfect for it.  I use the GT wheel for GPL.

I would jump on this if you're looking to seriously upgrade for sim racing experience.  Not sure what you're currently using for a wheel, but even if you're using a G27, the T500 is a definite upgrade.

Cheers,

Dave

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,337 posts

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 09:40 AM

Thanks Dave. Responded to ad and now waiting hopefully for dad to get back.

Thinking more about the WSP...

My rig is built of scrap 3/4in plywood and a donated recliner passenger side Mustang seat. Total cost must have been less than $20usd. It is now several years past my desire to upgrade, but it works great and I'm basically lazy.
It has a tilt and telescoping wheel mounting shelf and an adjustable pedal platform. It is easily adjustable to any user's comfort requirements, so big, tall, short, no problem, and its sturdy enough way too big friends can go for a spin.
And spin, and...

So I compare the Wheel Stand Pro, or any other rig, to what I already have found better so far for me.

It appears to be designed to facilitate use at a desk or table with a chair that scoots forward across the floor into position for use, to be easily removed and stored, used with a monitor sitting on the desk/table...maybe a product for those at work who would appreciate having one for use over lunch hour. In that case, its a very good solution, especially if space is an issue. Or if space and portability are priority requirements.

But for use as a full dedicated stand it up and leave it rig...get a cheap comfortable seat and build something bespoke/tailored.

Edited by John Woods, Nov 15 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#6 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 10:55 AM

I have got a logitech wheel which I've had for a few years now. Forgot model?
It is stored away because of lack of space in my computer room. So at moment I use a gamepad but in the coming months am going to redisgn my clutter which Will allow me to finally utilise my unused wheel.
I have a computer desk with monitor on top plus an office swivel chair. I had thought of just fastening my wheel to the edge of the desk near my keyboard?
So would getting something like this be better,safer and of course work with my desk and chair ??

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Nov 15 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#7 tdurrett

tdurrett

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 11:25 AM

I use a thick beveled glass table top 24" x24" that I slide out the edge to attach my G27 and shifter.
Monitor and keyboard are position on the glass for ballast with a standard small computer desk. One trick is that I use a gluestick
tube as a spacer on the shifter clamps for grip and the shifter c-clamp locks in the desk edge,

#8 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,337 posts

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 11:39 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on Nov 15 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

So would getting something like this be better,safer and of course work with my desk and chair ??
TP:

Once, with a MSFF wheel clamped to a tabletop, a friend reacted very realistically to crashing while on track with loud screaming and in one big motion ripping the wheel off the table, raising it above his head. If that's a potential risk, it might help prevent that and be safer too.

#9 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 920 posts

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 11:47 AM

Cool, John, I hope you can get that wheel.

One thing to keep in mind about the Wheel Stand Pro and it's folding and storage capabilities is that to fold it flat like the picture, you obviously have to completely remove your wheel and pedals to do so.  If you hard mount your wheel, and the pedals have to be hard mounted to the bottom, then this makes removing this all the time a pain in the rear. The shelf the wheel fits on is a fairly small steel plate and using a clamp for the wheel isn't ideal.  It's really made to be hard mounted.  So I don't do this.  If I need to get it out of the way, I lower the bar the wheel sits on so it folds down over the top of the pedals and put it in a closet.  I say this for someone who is thinking they will fold it completely and slip it under their bed or some other confined storing space.

Also, this is not a light weight unit, especially with a wheel and pedals that weigh as much as the T500 attached.  You don't have to be a weight lifter to move it, but you most likely won't be simply lifting it with one hand.

#10 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 847 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Nov 15 2014 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

#11 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B

Posted Nov 24 2014 - 04:55 PM

Ths is currently running on fleabay at the moment...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

TTFN
John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links