Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 05:34 AM

tried running GPL but i keep getting an error has occurred form which gem cannot recover message

checking the error file i get this

*** Error Message ***
Invalid procedure call or argument in RunApp

see attached file for the complete log

also if it helps im running

intel i7 4770k @ 3.5 ghz

16 gig ram

nvidia  gtx1070 card

win 10 64 bit

Any idea what it means or how to fix this thanks

GPL was running fine the other day when i last played it

if not ill have to reinstall yet again

Attached Files

Edited by Brocky05, Oct 19 2018 - 05:37 AM.

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 06:12 AM

Not that I know anything, but what you describe reminds me of similar stories after a Win10 auto-update?

:D

#3 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 10:42 AM

dont get me started on win downgrades haha the first big win downgrade nearly wrecked my whole computer

one drive stopped working lost all my music 99.99999% of my photos had over 1000 most of them i will never get back all of that was on another drive

i couldnt get GPL to work at all my blu ray died plus other things all from one big &#%@ up that microfilth called an update

even though i have updates turn OFF they do sneak some in every now n then

also my windoze drive is almost full so only the small downgrades that they sneak in will find its way onto my puter

#4 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 12:22 PM

Hi, one thing you can try is, backup then rename/delete the file named "GEM.ini" under GPLSecrets\GEM+ folder(where you installed GEM), then run GEM+ again and see what happens (GEM+ will recreate this file). And if GEM+ crashes again after you pointed and selected gpl.exe directory, there is a chance you may have this issue ( http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=12448 ). If no crash after selected gpl.exe, maybe something wrong with old GEM.ini.

(it is advised to backup a working GEM.ini in the future since the file contains all the gpl/mod setup)

Edited by SV3000, Oct 19 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#5 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 19 2018 - 11:14 PM

thanks SV3000

funny thing went to save my gem ini file it wasnt there for some reason but i did have a back up put that in same thing

so i tried reinstalling gem didnt work tried again with admin rights didnt work

unless someone has a fix for this ill have to start all over yet again

#6 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 02:45 AM

I was reading over this and I wanted to see if I could help and when I went into GPL secrets/GEM+folder my gem.ini file was nowhere to be found. I decided to type it into the search bar and found it in an other location. C:\Users\Public\Documents\GEM+ . So you might want to look in that location to find your gem.ini file. I have no idea how it got there but there it is.I hope it helps.

#7 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,829 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 04:32 AM

marco lenarduzzi, on Oct 20 2018 - 02:45 AM, said:

I was reading over this and I wanted to see if I could help and when I went into GPL secrets/GEM+folder my gem.ini file was nowhere to be found. I decided to type it into the search bar and found it in an other location. C:\Users\Public\Documents\GEM+ . So you might want to look in that location to find your gem.ini file. I have no idea how it got there but there it is.I hope it helps.
in win 7 and after, is built there :)

#8 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 05:36 AM

yes i had found it there as well but like i said i had a back up

i did try both but still get the same message

i have even removed all that i could find gem related using regedit even that didnt work

this has happened to  me before as i recall it was an easy fix but that was on a win7 system

#9 Alter

Jochen Rindt

• Supporter
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 07:57 AM

Hi!
"Can’t get past the first screen in GPL.
- Usually you’ve applied the carsound patch but don’t have 7 different car sounds in the sounds folder, in addition to the sound.dat file."
Did you change anything concerning that?
#10 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 08:12 AM

Another thing is, do you have any kind of virus/HIPS defense program blocked GEM+?
----------------------
On a more effective but very complicated method (which now I use this method solely to avoid system reboot every time language-locale changed), is to use a virtual machine (such as virtualbox, opensource), then install a windows copy and GEM+ inside the virtual machine.

Since virtualbox support folder share, just make your GPL game directory (the one on your real hard-drive) as shared folder in virtualbox, and GEM+ can add and read the folder directly through the virtual machine, and you can install mod and patches from there.

Once everything is done, just click red flag to generate exe, and you can run the new exe from your real machine to play GPL. Obviously this method has limitation (can't really play GPL inside virtual system, it's possible but performance gonna be bad) and complicated (need to learn how to use virtual machine), however the advantage is huge, since it is system independent, once the virtual machine is created and all GEM+ setup done, it(virtual drive) can be used on any windows/mac/linux system that support virtual machine (virtualbox for example), and no compatibility issue at all, and this virtual system won't be changed unless you make it so. (PS: virtualbox's built-in 3D function uses code from Wine project)

Also if anyone don't have a windows copy (xp, 7), you can download a totally legal and free and official one from microsoft (support quite a few different VM types): https://developer.mi...edge/tools/vms/

Edited by SV3000, Oct 20 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#11 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 09:49 AM

i played GPL a few days ago without any trouble

ive never setup a vm before my skills with setting up things like that are a little dodgy at best but i mite have a look into it

come to think of it my anti virus did have an update maybe it may of changed something ill check it out later its bed time for me now

thanks for helping me out here SV

#12 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 09:54 AM

sorry Alter didnt see your post there haha my problem is i carnt even get to the start screen let alone past it so i know its not that but thank you all the same

#13 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 05:53 PM

When you reinstalled gem+ did you delete or rename GPL secrets first ? I found this http://srmz.net/inde... +secrets
Post #12

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, Oct 20 2018 - 05:55 PM.

#14 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 05:58 PM

ginetto, on Oct 20 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

marco lenarduzzi, on Oct 20 2018 - 02:45 AM, said:

in win 7 and after, is built there :)
:thumbup:  Thanks for the heads up Ginetto

#15 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 20 2018 - 09:21 PM

i deleted everything then installed gem

just thinking could it be a problem with gpl its self hmmm

#16 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 02:28 AM

ok now this is weird i tried some of the mods some of them work others i still get the error message

#17 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 04:08 AM

At which stage does the error message occur? Since you mentioned some mods are working, i guess GEM+ only crash when you hit the flag to start GPL with a troubled mod? Are those working mods' exe file (such as gplc65.exe) recently generated or from a while ago? Do you have those mods installed in the same GPL folder as the other none-working mods, or separately?

Also I always use GEM+ to generate multiple gpl exe of the same mod with different patches & features, so I can easily copy/override for quick swap (and allows me to avoid using GEM+ every time). And since those exe files won't be modified without GEM+ or other patchers, if something goes wrong I can be pretty sure it's not caused by the exe.

--------------
Just my personal opinion, the amount GEM+ problems people encountered is quite overwhelming (and a lot people gave up on the quest of finding solution). While a lot of them might due to mistake with configuration/setup, I feel GEM+ could really use some updates to improve compatibility and usability. GEM+ is such a great and vital program for GPL and sadly no longer being developed (along with the network counterpart, which are talked about a lot recently), if only the original creator could kindly make source code available (lots old game fan projects are opensource nowadays for better future development) for others to continue work on, things might be different.

Edited by SV3000, Oct 21 2018 - 05:01 AM.

#18 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,829 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 04:43 AM

Actually that kind of GEM+ crashing with the push of GPL button with some of the mods happens to me also.
Seems random; sometimes it happens, some other times everything goes smoothly.
For example, with the Sport Cars, if I delete its exe before to start GEM+ then it crashes and keep on crashing until I reboot the PC. At that point it doesn't crash anymore and enters GPL as supposed to.
It happened also with the 65 mod, with 67 xtra and 69 xtra mod.

I never had these issues before; it's a few months that happens and I never payed too much attention to it but if there is someone who figure out the cause, it will be great :)

#19 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 05:40 AM

yes SV as soon as i hit the green button ill get the message with some mods while others it will go through n i can drive laps

originally the exe files had been in the gpl folder for awhile but since the error occurred (hadn't tried the old files) i just deleted them all then let gem rebuild em

what i have noticed is that the mods that don't work in gem if you click on them within gpl i get a Error windows cannot access the specified device path or file you my not have permission to access the item message

#20 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 06:04 AM

grrrrrrrrr late last night  SV3000 you ask me about my anti virus but silly me forgot to check it to busy trying other things

only just remembered to check it n guess what it had blocked some of the mods grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

must of happened after the update  so Ginetto if you are having the same problems check your anti virus software

so thanks to everyone for helping me out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links