Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 19 2018 - 06:07 PM

View PostJonnyA, on Mar 18 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Still don't like his line into Hugenholtz though!

In Grand Prix Legends its a good line if you are passing under braking but otherwise its hard to get up the hill that follows.

Actually take it and Tarzan more like arena supercross riders than like Taruffi suggests...staying outside a little longer and getting a better run up the hill, more like the line he suggests for banked ovals.

Probably because real track back then was cambered differently and/or crowned and GPL version is not?
Or maybe he's got it right?

In attached, Taruffi recommended line, (close enough), is in red and my idea of very late clipping point, in green, to get most time accelerating up hill and most speed before Jan de Wijker. (Now looking at the drawing all finished and posted up think my line typically makes a wider arc, more on the outside at entry and exit).

With no traffic, the goal is one entry and one exit, all one safe motion with minimum loss of speed, minimum time in constant radius, and maximum time for exit?

:D

Attached Files

Edited by John Woods, Mar 20 2018 - 03:25 PM.

#77 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,448 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Mar 20 2018 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, John. Blind turns are hard enough, but when we're going that fast there's no room for error. Turn in late or early and we're in trouble.

#78 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Mar 20 2018 - 03:56 PM

I find it difficult to get all the way across to the RHS of the track after Gerlach, but I do my best because I find it gives me room to brake nice and deep into Hugenholtz which makes it easier to rotate the car. For Tarzan and Hugenholtz, over time my line has got deeper with a much later apex - all focussed on getting onto the throttle ASAP. If I used Taruffi's line into Hugenholtz I think I'd end up parked on the apex at about 0 mph!

But as you say, GPL Zandvoort and real Zandvoort may be rather different beasts.

#79 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 20 2018 - 07:58 PM

Most of the driving advice I've seen in the past says that it's always the exit of a series of bends which should take priority, as good exit speed leads to better speed on the following straight. So to get the best line and speed up the hill towards Hunserug, you need a good exit from Hugenholtz. To get a good exit from Hugenholtz, you need a good entry, with a late apex to get on the power early. To get a good entry into Hugenholtz, you need to get over to the right after Gerlacht. That means that you may have to go through Gerlacht a bit slower to give you time to get the car over to the right-hand side. The time you lose compromising your speed and line through Gerlacht should be more than made up for by the better exit and better speed between Hugenholtz and Hunserug. At least that's how the theory goes. :D I always try to drive according to that ideal, but sometimes it's not easy!

#80 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Mar 25 2018 - 09:16 PM

It would  be interesting to see some of the driving lines GPLRA reveals the WR challengers have made from Tarzan to Jan de Wilker.

My preference seems to be exiting Tarzan on the inside and staying to the right up to the crest at the bend to the left, almost in a straight line from entry before the crest to entry to Gerlacht, crossing over to the left side to clip the bend at the crest, so after the crest the car is on the outside for entry to Gerlacht.

If a driver rather goes to the outside exiting Tarzan and does not cross over to the right before the crest, after the crest they will likely be on the inside approaching Gerlacht, forcing them to slow before climbing the little rise that precedes the short straight down to Hugenholtz.

In contrast, landing on the left side of the track after cresting at the bend places the car ready to take the maximum arc thru Gerlacht, possibly with less incline to overcome, and the option at exit of choosing any entry point to Hugenholtz.

Once there, Taruffi's suggested line offers the opportunity to apply constant radius around the extreme track camber close on the inside thru the turn...which actually seems a good enough line that takes less time in the turn even tho the car slows to 45 or so MPH.

The problem is the hill that follows. So far glimpsing a few times at the speedo up near its crest reveals a rough guess that taking Taruffi's line is about 5-10mph slower at that point than my erratic late wide apex guess of the fastest average exit speed thru the turn.

Which line is faster overall? I have no idea.

Lately been running consistent 1:27s in the 67LotusF1 with 14-lap fuel load down to a few 1:25s when the car lightens up, (just saying so you know, for me its all about style not being fast...because I'm not, plus daydreaming a lot).

Edit: Well, hm...now uncertain exactly where Gerlach is and how to spell it. Going by the GPL Program Menu track map comments above might be confusing, or the track map is, (which I figure its not).

:D

Edited by John Woods, Mar 26 2018 - 01:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links